Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 6, 2006, 7:50 PM   #1

I literally spent hours and hoursstalkingthis any MANY other models online... I looked everywhere for a decent review before I bought this and never found one. I was checking Steve's like twice a day, and then just went for it. So for you out there who want ANY opinion, here is my very amatuer and yet not so humble opinion:

The "face detection" feature, which sounds like a gimmick, for me quantifies this as the best digital I've ever used. A green box will appear over your subjects face resize the green box to fit, and even if they're like my 2 year old and are constantly moving will actually follow their face and re-adjust accordingly. (as long as they are looking in the general viscinity of the camera). They can be a foot away or I tried it at least 60ft and it still picked it up. It will give focus and lighting priority to their faces. It even works on the TV (had to try it). The macro is excellent, and it has a supermacro thatis so much better than my S2's. I was concerned about it's manual zoom, but it's way faster and ultimately better than a battery consuming zoom. The ISO of 3200 can take unblurry pictures withouta flash in my very dark house and they're still usuable VS the throw away blurrrrr of my canon. I'm really happy I finally pulled the trigger and bought this over the S3-IS. - (From a former S2-IS owner.) Only complaints are it's fairly large.. But you can't put any super zoom in your pocket really.. Oh yea and the "on board" memory is about the dumbest thing ever. You can take about 1 picture on the finest mode before it's full. What's the point of that? Or I don't understand why you would buy a 6.3mp and use low quality shots. BUT the good news is the XD cards hold more per MB than the SD cards and are very fast. Use the "M". I got a 1gb card as best buy for $39.99 and it'll hold about 350 at the best resolution (fine). I am a VERY hard to please person when it comes to anything electronic, and I couldn't be happier than with my first Fuji. Let's put it this way: In three days, I have more quality"printer worthy" shots of my son thanover a year with my S2-IS. (I still love myCanon Pixma IP5000 Printer! I'm not a hater).

If anyone can tell me why new cameras are THAT much fun to open and "play" with..
monsoon777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 7, 2006, 6:35 AM   #2

Thanks for the quick review. The 6500 is on top of my list and it's hard finding any information just yet.
A few points:
-Good to know that FD works for your 2 year old! I have a 5 month old, and he's one of the big reasons I'm looking for a new camera. Does the FD pop on when the face turns to the side, or is it only head-on?

-I keep wondering if a new camera will make such a huge difference. My current Canon isn't even as good as your S2-IS, but it sounds like the difference between old and new is huge!

:-)
digraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2006, 10:21 AM   #3

When the camera is just "on" and the face detection is also on (default setting) the Green face detection box will pop up over their faces if they are looking at you or in your general vicinity. You get some leeway but basically you need to see both their eyes. BUT when you get the green box, and you press the shutter button half way down it locks in at those settings, the green box is replaced by yellow [ ] telling you it's ready.. so my point is, if you can get it to lock on and then they turn their heads or around as long as they don't move any distance or into different lighting your camera will still take the calibrated face shot. That make sense? I'm going on a motorcycle trip today and I'm bringing my new toy along for further review. Cheers.
Old Oct 7, 2006, 6:36 PM   #4

TO VIEW MY SAMPLE SHOTS USING FUJIFILM S6000FD CLICK:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=16