Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 7, 2006, 4:41 PM   #1

What is the advantage of purchasing the Canon 30D over the Rebel XTi.* Is the 30D more durable??
sgalfano is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 8, 2006, 2:14 PM   #2

good question! i wonder myself!
astral8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2006, 2:40 PM   #3

Code:
What is the advantage of purchasing the Canon 30D over the Rebel XTi.? Is the 30D more durable??
Lets be practical;

The EOS30D would notbe havingany advantage over the EOS 400D; if you are not going to specify your criteria.

Is the 30D more durable??

In terms of a specific measurement, than yes. But you might never be able to task the EOS 400D camera to it's breaking point in your daily usage.

Just imagine;

You got the EOS 30D just because you like it's build quality, and you found out that you can never damage the camera pass it's outer plastic covering in your usage of it.Clearly, themagnesium alloy inner surface would be a waste. (Because you pay for it)

If you don't need the magnesium alloybody, then don't pay for it; it will only be adding more weight.

BenjaminXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2006, 7:37 PM   #4

it has 9 point autofocus, like canon 30d. does it make a difference for autofocus?
astral8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2006, 10:22 PM   #5

It has an Auto shutoff feature.
pagerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2006, 10:56 PM   #6

30D does not need auto shut-off back LCD display feature, because it does not use back LCD display to display current information about aperture, shutter speed ans so on. 30D has dedicated LCD panel on top for that. Much better solution.
Edvinas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2006, 6:18 AM   #7

Code:
it has 9 point autofocus, like canon 30d. does it make a difference for autofocus?
Well, the EOS 400D also have the same auto-focus feature with the 9 focus points.

Code:
30D does not need auto shut-off back LCD display feature, because it does not use back LCD display to display current information about aperture, shutter speed ans so on. 30D has dedicated LCD panel on top for that. Much better solution.

The EOS 400Dhave aviewfinder sensor to shut off the main LCD when not in use.

That is at least better than leaving it on altogether.

As for the dependent ona mono-chromic LCDpanel or the main LCD for status; it is all subjective. Some photographers might prefer either method. (Some like to have a big panel [aka main LCD] in front of them to inform them the shooting informations quickly, andtweak any settings at once)

Just keep in mind that those dSLRthat depends ona mono-chromic LCD for shooting informations; will not be having a maingraphical status display on the main LCD. (As those that uses the main LCD forshooting status)

It alldepends on the user preference.

I would personally prefer to have a largecolor LCD status panel in front of me in my shooting position, thanhavingto depend on amono-chromic status panel on top; that would require me to turn the camera every time I want toviewa shooting informationor tweak it.

Old Oct 9, 2006, 12:09 PM   #8

Edvinas wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

Power Saving:
Provided; power turns off after set time of 1, 2, 4, 8, 15 or 30 min.
I think that is for the whole camera, not just the lcd.

Also 100,000 shot shutter cycle and Magnesium alloy body.

I was looking at the RebelXTi and I figure if I'm going to spend the $$ I might as well spend $500 more to get the 30D witha few more options, once I buy a camera it has to last a long time.

The sensor size for the 400D is 22.2x14.8mm and has 10.10 MP.

The sensor size for the 30D is 22.5x15mm and has 8.19 MP.

I'm not into the MP race and I'll be going from 3.2MP so 8.2 is more than enough.

If you can't afford the 30D the 400D is the next bext thing.

pagerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2006, 3:16 PM   #9

Quote:

I think that is for the whole camera, not just the lcd.

Also 100,000 shot shutter cycle and Magnesium alloy body.

I was looking at the RebelXTi and I figure if I'm going to spend the $$ I might as well spend $500 more to get the 30D witha few more options, once I buy a camera it has to last a long time.

The sensor size for the 400D is 22.2x14.8mm and has 10.10 MP.

The sensor size for the 30D is 22.5x15mm and has 8.19 MP.

I'm not into the MP race and I'll be going from 3.2MP so 8.2 is more than enough.

If you can't afford the 30D the 400D is the next bext thing.
No need to analyze them so much; they are both great dSLRs that can just take as great quality images.