Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 12, 2006, 8:56 AM   #11

If I were you, I would drop the AA battery requirement. Just get 2 or 3 extra rechargable proprietary batteries, and have them all charged whenever you go out for a day of shooting pictures. You can get good deals on ebay or whatnot for off brand battery packs.

I should say, don't make that the #1 priority in choosing a camera.

Changeling wrote:
Quote:
I am at a 3 way crossroad and do not have the expertise or experience to make an inteligent decision on these 3 cameras. I want as much automation as possible without compromising the best decision.
1. I would like to use AA type batteries that I can recharge easily and cheaply, preferably with a good shelf life (relative to camera). The reason for this being a priority is just about every battery in my house is an AA or AAA, and I use lots of them! I have decided to go the rechargeable route and just plain take care of everything associated with batteries I can!
Other than this I would like the experts opinions on which one is the best!
I realize this is a terible way to approach you guys/experts but if you think about it it makes sense!
I don't really understand all the features of these cameras and there will evidently be a learning curve.
Please expound to your hearts content!
Changeling
digraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2006, 5:35 PM   #12

Rinnie suggested the F6000 to me, I WAS looking at the S3, the Sony H5 and maybe getting into DSLRs never heard or thought of going to a Fuji ... I AM SO HAPPY with the Fujifilm f6000! You can see my reviews on here in Fuji Cameras F6000 /6500 small review with pics. This camera uses AA (I also have a little one who's every toy needs about 50 aa so rechargable aas are important to me. Also this camera's price is dropping like a rock. I paid $499 and Amazon has already refunded me $75 in two weeks because of the falling price. I was very overwhelmed with the choices but now I'm very content. YOU WILL LOVE THE MANUAL ZOOM, it's much faster for those quick zooms (and completely silent) for your bird shots. And it has a great macro too. Again, check out my other postings.

Also I owned the S2, and wasn't really impressed (not knocking it though either)

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=16

monsoon777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2006, 3:01 PM   #13

Monsoon, you sure make it hard! The shot of the dog and your son were really great. The fact that you owned an S2 is a very good indicator of your experience with both cameras.
Now I am really confused. The S3 got steves top review choice but practically all of you guys say the Fuji or Sony ! I think I need to sit back and review/research my choices again. I know I didn't particularly care for the output of the Sony.
Changeling

Changeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2006, 4:29 PM   #14

i was comparing the kodaks, sony h5 and s3 for quite a while before I went for the s3

it was a really hard choice as you are finding, when it comes to picture quality there really is very little in it. When someone says the sony is a bit better at higher iso, you really have to view the image at full res on a monitor to notice, if you print 6x4 then you won;t notice and probably won't at 7x5 either.

for me it ended up being a matter of features v. price rather than picture quality and the canon had the features. although the sony has a huge 3 inch lcd the canon has a swivel LCd which personally I find more useful.....great for overhead shots atconcerts for example. the super macro on the canon works at 0mm. better video mode.

...and then I tried them side by side instore and the sony just felt a bit clumsy to me whereas although the s3 is small it seemed better. you definitely should try them out in this way, this might swing it one way or the other for you.

I haven't had it long and am still getting used to all the features, and I have a lot to learn photgraphy wise but for now I'm really happy with my s3... I'm thinking of getting tcon and some filtes but beyond that I can't imgaine ever replacing it unless I went up to a DLSR

Sibling Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2006, 7:31 PM   #15

Chris, I can really see where you are coming from! I posted here a few hours ago that I was confused even after a lot of input from the regulars!
I have spent the last 3 hours reading the reviews and examining each for the super zooms. All Professional reviews recommend the canon S3 at the top of there list! This very site lists it as the top of its class.
So what am I to believe? The guys that have bought the Fuji, the Sony, whatever, or the professionals who run these web sites and spend there "dimes" reviewing "ALL" of the cameras ! They are bringing this information to people like me who don't know "Crap" about the subject! That's why I am hear!!!!
When I said I was interested in a certain camera, I was accused later of being only interested in the lowest price cammera, this is pure "BS", My interest is getting a really nice camera and from there deciding if and what I should get for the next leg of the ladder.
I certainly don't mean to ruffle anyones feathers, if you feel I am wrong, don't hesitate to tell me so, as I said in the begining I really do need the help of the professionals.
Changeling

Old Oct 13, 2006, 7:47 PM   #16

Its really hard to have an exact formula to determine which is the best.

This is not maths.

There is rarely a wrong answer vs a right.

It all comes done to personal taste.

The H5 and S3 are for most purposes matched.

The S3 is slightly faster and has the bells and whistles (swivel screen, burst mode, interval shooting) , the H5 goes with the better ISO performance and perhaps the better quality in pictures and bokeh.

But really unless you are printing 20x30s or pixel peeping on the monitor you will be hard pressed to tell the difference.

For most people it comes down to a couple of factors.

Do you like a small screen that swivels or a massive one that does not ?

Do you need burst mode (canon) orwant to use manual focus and thus prefer edges of areas in focus to be hilighted in blue.

Do you prefer a fast but relatively weak flash vs a slow but relatively powerful flash?

Sintares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2006, 9:12 PM   #17

Ok. First of all, reviews mean junk. Unless that review list something seriously flawed with camera, and would bother you. I wouldn't worry about the reviews. You should get the camera YOU want, with the features you want/need. Not because some review said the camera is great. I think the only real reviews you should take with a grain of salt, are user reviews.

But, Steve does run a great site here, and his reviews are great, and un-biased. So, when steve's review's a camera, you know its top notch. Not to technical, and un-biased. Annnnnnnyway, I think you might want to look at the Kodak Z612. Supposed to have excellent image quality, speedy performance, 12x IS zoom, lots of manual controls and features, and great reviews. A fantastic review from Steve, on this site.

So, you make up your own mind, try the camera's in store, see which one you like best, and get it. And if anpther member suggest's a different camera, try it out. Look into it a little. And, if it doesn't meet your needs, don't give it another thought. Go for the one YOU want.

Cheers.

-En
Quote:
Chris, I can really see where you are coming from! I posted here a few hours ago that I was confused even after a lot of input from the regulars!
I have spent the last 3 hours reading the reviews and examining each for the super zooms. All Professional reviews recommend the canon S3 at the top of there list! This very site lists it as the top of its class.
So what am I to believe? The guys that have bought the Fuji, the Sony, whatever, or the professionals who run these web sites and spend there "dimes" reviewing "ALL" of the cameras ! They are bringing this information to people like me who don't know "Crap" about the subject! That's why I am hear!!!!
When I said I was interested in a certain camera, I was accused later of being only interested in the lowest price cammera, this is pure "BS", My interest is getting a really nice camera and from there deciding if and what I should get for the next leg of the ladder.
I certainly don't mean to ruffle anyones feathers, if you feel I am wrong, don't hesitate to tell me so, as I said in the begining I really do need the help of the professionals.
Changeling

En121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2006, 10:23 PM   #18

"I was accused later of being only interested in the lowest price cammera, this is pure "BS"...

Let's see...what was that you said?

"I can get the Canon S3 IS cheaper than the Sony H5 or Fuji S6000 by a considerable margin, therefore I will probably go with the Canon S3 IS."

I thought that's what you said...pure BS!

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2006, 12:29 AM   #19

Most all of the major review sites have the S3 and H2 or H5 neck and neck. Some prefer one or the other, but it's generally very close. So you can't go wrong with either of those.

The Fuji S6000 is a new model which hasn't been reviewed yet by any of the major sites. But based on prior cameras with the same sensor, and previous Fuji zooms, it should be in consideration. It will likely have the advantage in low light indoors and action situations which require higher ISO performance. It's wider angle will also add to it's usefulness indoors. It's zoom runs from 28mm-300mm, while the others here run 36mm-432mm. However it doesn't have image stabilization, and it's lens isn't quite as bright at full zoom, both of which will offset some of the advantage in low light situations. I expect it would be the best of these for your occaisional wedding, but it also won't give you as much zoom for those wildlife shots.

The Kodak P712 is another new model. One thing it has that the others here lack is external flash support. It and the Fuji are the only ones here which support RAW mode shooting. If you are big on post processing your photos for best results, you might prefer one of those with RAW mode.

But, based on your main uses, which seem to be outdoors and macro shots, the Canon S3 may be the best choice. It's likely still a bit better outdoors than the Fuji, and reviews also note that it has a particularly good macro mode. And the tilt screen is very convenient. Really these are all close enough that you shouldn't worry about what anyone else prefers, buy the one that is best for what you want to do, and that has the features you most want.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2006, 1:17 PM   #20

I looked at/tried the S3, H5, and Fuji 9000 this morning. In my mind the S3 came out on top for the things that I am interested in.
One feature that has been mentioned but I had no idea of it's versatality is the S3's swiveling LCD. You "QUICKLY" find out that this is a majour feature !! You can take shots without exposing yourself to wildlife, hold over your head at conserts, stick it out from the side of a tree or building, you get the idea ! I would be willing to bet you will see all manufactures switching to this after people start seeing just how big a deal it really is, it would be a lot better if it was a little bigger though!
Changeling