Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 8, 2006, 5:08 PM   #1

I am at a 3 way crossroad and do not have the expertise or experience to make an inteligent decision on these 3 cameras. I want as much automation as possible without compromising the best decision.
1. I would like to use AA type batteries that I can recharge easily and cheaply, preferably with a good shelf life (relative to camera). The reason for this being a priority is just about every battery in my house is an AA or AAA, and I use lots of them! I have decided to go the rechargeable route and just plain take care of everything associated with batteries I can!
Other than this I would like the experts opinions on which one is the best!
I realize this is a terible way to approach you guys/experts but if you think about it it makes sense!
I don't really understand all the features of these cameras and there will evidently be a learning curve.
Please expound to your hearts content!
Changeling

Changeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 8, 2006, 5:11 PM   #2

I forgot to add that if you feel there is a camera in this range that I should also consider please feel free to express your thoughts.
changeling

Old Oct 8, 2006, 5:36 PM   #3

It appears I was not very well prepared !!
My main use for the camera will be close up's like flowers, birds, bugs, whatever and zoom for wildlife like deer, birds, whatever. There will of cource be the occassional wedding/party/orgy/whatever.
I really do want the best shots I can get, which would equate to the lens quality, or am I wrong?
Changeling

Old Oct 8, 2006, 6:00 PM   #4

I had a Kodak 612.

I returned it for the Sony H5 which uses AA Batteries.

The difference in the quality of the pics is dramatic.

I really like the Sony.

From what you say your needs are look at the Sony.
dowop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2006, 6:00 PM   #5

Changeling,

If your choices are restricted to the 3 you listed, it's a no-brainer...The Canon uses AA batteries...the Kodak's do not. That's what you wanted to hear, wasn't it? Unfortunately, digital camera performance goes a little deeper than just lens quality. Although important, a great lens with a lousy sensor and processor won't create great pics...sorry.

Your picture subject matter is a lot like mine...with a possible exception of the orgy stuff...a little bit of everything. If you plan on taking a lot of indoor pics, and outdoor in low light situations, the cameras you've listed may not be the best choices. Not to throw a wrench into the works, I will suggest you take a look at the Fujifilm S6000. OK, so I threw the wrench.

Don't argue, just take a look, and then get back to me.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2006, 6:16 PM   #6

You could also consider the older (and cheaper) Canon s2 and Sony h1 or the newer Sony H2 and H5.

All are roughly equivalent lens wise superzooms with the capability to take tcons taking them to over 730mm equiv or closeup/macro lens.

The canons have the faster burst modes, usb controllable from a pcand havesmall swivel screens and take cheaper sd cards, the Sonys take the more expensive memory sticks (the new duo size fits all models in the H series, don't buy the older full size sticks), but take (just) better high ISO shots.

The Sonys all come with nimh batteries, chargers and tubes for mounting filters and tcons/wcons, you will have to buy these for the canons.

The picture quality is roughly the same, though Canon fan boys point out the higher purple fringing and chromatic aberration on the Sonys, but Canons have pf/ca themselves and besides which pf/ca is easily fixed and/or not really noticed at pics smaller than 10x8s

The canons take 4aas and thus has a better flash cycle time, the sonys take 2aas have a slow flash cycle time but the flash is a lot stronger and longer reaching than the canons.

And while the canons take more shots without changing batteries, two sets of 2aas in the Sonys gives more shots than one set of 4aas in the canon.

Really they are very close, I would go into a store and try them out, see which you like best.

As with many cameras these days there is not one standout feature that makes the Canons or Sonys standout from the other.

Both have relatively poor manuals though the Sony manuals are particularily bad, so thats why a professional photographer has written a complete guide to the H1 (and H series in general).

http://www.aakatz.com/h1whitepaper/
Sintares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2006, 12:54 PM   #7

Well I appreciate all the advise guys. I will check out the models you gave me and get back to you. You know darn well I will have more questions.
Changeling
Old Oct 10, 2006, 1:54 PM   #8

Well I looked at the Fuji and Sony, but I fail to see where they are better than the Canon S3.
All these cameras seem to leave something or the other behind in there makeup! I can get the Canon S3 IS cheaper than the Sony H5 or Fuji S6000 by a considerable margin, therefore I will probably go with the Canon S3 IS.
It received a very good review on this web site and doesn't seem to have any Major drawbacks. The lens has proven itself by many reviewers, the motors beat all the rest in being quiet and relatively fast.

Please don't hesitate to remark or post your comments.

Changeling

Old Oct 10, 2006, 8:26 PM   #9

The Kodak P712 has a Flash hot shoe, 7.1mp, 432mm.
It replaced the P850, with which I have taken hundreds of photos
and for the price cant be beat.
However, for more manual control, get the Lumix FZ-50.
romphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2006, 6:25 PM   #10

My recommendation was based on available/low light photography. As I stated, if you plan on taking a lot of low light pics, you should consider the S6000. I was not knocking the S3 IS...it is a good camera. You didn't state a price range in your original post...if you had, I wouldn't have suggested the S6000. I didn't realize your goal was to buy the cheapest camera. However, since I did suggest that when you got back to me I would offer additional assistance, here we go:

Here's the S3 IS vs. the H5 at ISO 400:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonyh5/page12.asp

and ISO 800:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonyh5/page13.asp

Here's the F30 (same processor as the S6000) at ISO 800:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilmf30/page12.asp

Keep in mind, the S6000 is fitted with the same lens as the S9000, so I would imagine the clarity of the S6000 pics should be considerably better than the F30.

Granted, the S3 IS has some features which the others don't, but the others have features that the Canon doesn't. It all boils down to which features are more important to you. More importantly should be, which takes the best pictures in the manner you will be using the camera most.

Good luck with your choice.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote