Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 9, 2006, 2:54 PM   #11

My comments were related to assuming the camera's high iso performance was similiar simply based on them sharing a similiar sensor. The point was made that the D200, D80, A100, and K10d would be equal in high Iso performance. As I said, because of other factors, this is an irresponsible statement to make, and not necessarily correct. From what I've seen, the A100 doesn't have great high ISO performance. The D200 is better and the D80 is even better, and in fact excellent. I'm not really comfortable talking specifics about the A100 as I have no practical experience with it. The same goes for the Pentax K10d. Based on price and other factors such as weather sealing, the K10d has a lot to offer over the A100 and is worth the price difference.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2006, 3:09 PM   #12

Code:
From what I've seen, the A100 doesn't have great high ISO performance. The D200 is better
Hmmm, from what the reviewer at dpreview stated at the review site>>> (What I saw)

Quote:

Between the DSLR-A100 and D200 at these high sensitivities the A100 appears to maintain more detail.
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydslra100/page28.asp

Code:
Based on price and other factors such as weather sealing, the K10d has a lot to offer over the A100 and is worth the price difference.

From what I can see, both cameras are rather competent. However, the A100 cost $850 today! And that is very much cheaper than the $1000for the K10D! (IMO)

It is all subjective I guess. (Both cameras with their feature set will be appealing to different people)

Code:
D80 is even better
Good that you like it. :-)

__________________________________________________ _____________________________

BTW, if CANON, PENTAX, or NIKON were to be the one to release the ALPHA A100 dSLR; Iguess situation would be different. SONYstill seems to be a ratherniche brand for photography from what I can see. (From the people's reaction etc...)

Anyway, I won't try to talk to Nikon, Canon or Pentax owners about Sony.I guess theywould only be interested in their field of things. (And thatcan't be denied )

BenjaminXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2006, 3:45 PM   #13

Quote:
From what I can see, both cameras are rather competent. However, the A100 cost $850 today! And that is very much cheaper than the $1000for the K10D
I never said either camera was imcompetant. Only that for the extra $150, you get weather sealing, a better viewfinder, and a top side LCD screen. That's quite a bit and in my mind (an enthusiast who does photography as a second job) worth the extra price.
Quote:
BTW, if CANON, PENTAX, or NIKON were to be the one to release the ALPHA A100 dSLR; Iguess situation would be different. SONYstill seems to be a ratherniche brand for photography from what I can see. (From the people's reaction etc...)

Anyway, I won't try to talk to Nikon, Canon or Pentax owners about Sony.I guess theywould only be interested in their field of things. (And thatcan't be denied )

That's a pretty flippant remark. Although I currently (and will for the long term) shoot Nikon, my prosumer backup camera is a Sony DSC-V3 and my carry everywhere camera is a Sony P93. I happen to love my two sony cameras. I've also at various times shot Minolta (for about 8 years, my main SLR), canon, and a Pentax mounted Ricoh. You can talk to me about any camera manufacturer....I've actually used something from most of them. I want the other manufacturers to continue to release great products that are competitive feature wise and price wise. Its good for the market place and helps push innovation. I'm not so narrow minded that I live in a strictly Nikon colored world.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2006, 5:54 PM   #14

I wasn't trying to put the A100 down. It's just apparent (to me) that the A100 has more noise in it's ISO1600 images than the XTi and D80 (the two camera's that are directly competing against it). Do not take my word for it, though...go find comparison shots and look for yourself.

Anyways, the OP's decision must be his own...Wait to comparison shop between the two, or buy what is available now. It's abig decision, because these are two differentsystems. So, my recommendation would be to wait. But, I am a patient person. I spent (wasted might be a better word) 3 months deciding whether to buy the K100D or the D50, until I finally decided on a completely different camera! :lol:
swgod98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2006, 6:35 AM   #15

Thanks for the feedbacks.

In my opinion;

Perhaps if Sony had programed the A100's processor (or whatever) to reduce, or removethe chromanoise from the CCD altogether (Just as the Nikon D80 did with the chroma noises), I think it will stand a higher chance to be more appealing to the average users. (I meant people overall) Anyway, there is always post processing to do.

I cannot blame it,because I was like that beforelast time; always wanting the cleanest image of all! :lol:

The O.P. can choose the K10D as most people might suggest in here.

Old Oct 10, 2006, 12:23 PM   #16

BenjaminXYZ wrote:
Quote:
In my opinion;

Perhaps if Sony had programed the A100's processor (or whatever) to reduce, or removethe chromanoise from the CCD altogether (Just as the Nikon D80 did with the chroma noises), I think it will stand a higher chance to be more appealing to the average users. (I meant people overall) Anyway, there is always post processing to do.

The O.P. can choose the K10D as most people might suggest in here.

If you think Sony could have reduced the noise in their camera to look better than the XTi and D80, then you should write to them and ask them why they didn't

I think a lot of people are recommending the K10D because it looks really good on paper. But, until it is released and people start using it (or reviews are posted), there is no way to compare camera functionality and image qualitybetween the cameras.

swgod98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2006, 1:18 PM   #17

Code:
If you think Sony could have reduced the noise in their camera to look better than the XTi and D80, then you should write to them and ask them why they didn't ;)

I do not know. However, some cameras tend to take a more conservative approach toward reducing noise.

The Nikon D70s is one such model. Perhaps the Sony Alpha A100 is another one such model too; maybe just that the 10 MP CCD chip tend to be anoisier one than the 6 MP CCD.

Ultimately, it will all entirely come down to the user preference though: about the N.R. system. (Just as in the status LCD matter )

The Nikon D80 and the D70s reduces or completely removechroma noises [perhaps leavingthe luminance noise behind],butsome other models (which I'm not certain at this point of time) had choose toreduce or remove luminance noise [leaving the chroma noises behind]. (The approach can be different)

Some models even reduce or remove both types of noise. (I believe that the D80 also reduces the luminance noise channel,from the way I studied the images at ISO 1600)

Old Oct 11, 2006, 4:15 AM   #18

BenjaminXYZ wrote:
Quote:
Crappy shutter release sound VS cool but loud shutter release sound: Subjective!!

OMG, do I need to go on???

$1000 VS $850: Yippee, the A100's kitwould be mineanytime!

PENTAX VS SONY: Crappy comparison in my opinion.

Regards.

It seems that most of your advice is subjective. Looking at your posts (in this topic and others), you are clearly bias against anything non-Sony. To be honest, the ONLY thing the Sony offers over the Pentax are cheaper price (justifiable) and better Marketing of the camera.

Please note, I currently use two different Sony cameras, so there is no use claiming I have issues against Sony. From everything I have tried, read and researched about, the Sony A100 is a good camera, but the only thing promoting its 'image' as 'great' is the marketing behind it. Its like a new camera, that has image quality a LITTLE better than a Canon EOS 350D, with extra bundled features. Clearly, its a Minolta, rushed out of the production line.

I'm a Sony fan, but I don't think the A100 deserves the credit it is getting.

'PENTAX VS SONY: Crappy comparison in my opinion.' - Truer wordsHAVE been spoken.
navap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2006, 4:33 AM   #19
Super Moderator

I would not like to comment on the differences in these two cameras however I would suggest that you consider something that caught me out when moving to a DSLR.

About 5 or 6 years ago now I moved from Canon SLR (EOS 50e) to aMinolta Dimage 7 which at the time was about the highest quality camera I could afford (£1000 for the camera and £300 for the 1Gb Microdrive - OUCH!!!).Almost exactly a year ago I purchased a Konica Minolta 5D (now owned by Sony) as this seemed tohave the best all round package Iwas looking at and there seemed to be enough addons available....... however;as I progressed I started taking more and more sports work and wanted to get better quality lenses and the ability for a vertical grip, so 2 weeks ago I had to replace everything and move toa Canon 30D (could havegone Nikon as well but as an ExCanon user decided togo back to what I knew).

Now I'm not saying that youwill need these things but would suggest that you consider where you might go in the future so that you don't end up spending $1000's more than you need to. For me this was an expensive lesson and I wish that I had known what I know now a year ago.

I'm not saying that you should not look at these two but just to be aware that owning a DSLR is like a bug and you will always want something else and the worse thing is to find that you can't get it without changing everything.

Happy shooting!!!

Mark - www.photographysmith.co.uk
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2006, 5:19 AM   #20

Mark1611 wrote: suggest that you consider where you might go in the future

Good point; look at the entire system...what's available & what you might need down the road. The K10D is very new, so getting your hands on one right now might be tough. You should handle one before you buy to compare. If you can find a retailer that hasthem bring a memory cardwith you & take some test photos (with both) to compare at home before you make a purchase. I don't own either model or system so no bias here, but for me the Pentax's two mode dials (vs. one on the Sony) is an advantage as I shoot a lot in manual mode. Being able to change aperture and shutter speed without holding down other buttons or diving into menus saves time. The weather-sealing is nice, not only for moisture but for dust protection as well.
stowaway7 is offline   Reply With Quote