Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 11, 2006, 6:26 AM   #21

Quote:

It seems that most of your advice is subjective. Looking at your posts (in this topic and others), you are clearly biast against anything non-Sony. To be honest, the ONLY thing the Sony offers over the Pentax are cheaper price (justifiable) and better Marketing of the camera.

Please note, I currently use two different Sony cameras, so there is no use claiming I have issues against Sony. From everything I have tried, read and researched about, the Sony A100 is a good camera, but the only think promoting its image as 'great' is the marketing behind it. Its like a new camera, that has image quality a LITTLE better than a Canon EOS 350D, with extra bundled features. Clearly, its a Minolta, rushed out of the production line.

I'm a Sony fan, but I don't think the A100 deserves the credit it is getting.

'PENTAX VS SONY: Crappy comparison in my opinion.' - Truer wordsHAVE been spoken.

I think people are bias too (And you seems to be one of them).I think they are giving too much undeserved credits to the K10D. In fact, I don't think everyone knows the Sony Alpha A100 enough. When Pentax announced the K10D with the anti-dust feature and theS.R. feature, everyone wowed about it and got crazily excited about it all (claiming the innovation is the best ever & a dream come true). Conversely,the Sony Alpha A100 didn't get so much attention about it's anti-dust and A.S.. But when those people were informed about it, they just stared a cold eyetoward it and continued the K10D glorification. (Yet, they had earlierclaimed the K10D with the anti-dust and S.R. feature "was the best ever & a dream come true")

The A100 being cheap is also not necessarily worse than the K10D. Yet, Pentax owners are always justifying how cheap and value for money their Pentax dSLRs always are...Always making it sound like a deal. Now the Sony Alpha A100 (A dSLR competing with the more expensive Nikon D80 and Pentax K10D) is always stated as being expensive, when it is now going for only about $850. That is very cheap for the Sony A100 kit. Seemingly, the same set of people is also the ones who always state that the DSC-R1 modelis expensive etc...when it is now coming for only $800. (Maybe a lot of people do not know what the R1 is).

I bet I wouldget fired if I tell thosepeople that the Pentax K100D, Nikon D80,theK10D are expensive cameras. (They would probably tell me "What the h*ll I'm thinking about..." Or they would disagree with me that the SonyA100 is cheap.

To further demonstrate how neglected the Sony A100 reallyis;

Those seemingly "same type of peoples" are also glorifying the Nikon D80 model over the Sony A100 model from my observations around (In other forums and reviews as well).They alwayssay that the D80 is a much better higher level dSLR because of it's pentaprism viewfinder,two command dials, better build quality, ISO 3200, RGB histograms, and ISO performance, menugraphics, LCD quality, D-lighting, in camera image editing, top mounted monochrome LCD status panel and etc etc...I can also make up a list for the Sony A100 such as anti-shake, dust reduction with anti static surface, advance dynamic range optimizer, eye start A.F., equallygood qualitycolor LCD+ anti reflective coating, highlight and shadow based metering, equally good high ISOquality andconvenientstatus paneletc...However, those people would tell me that those features are "nothing" compared to the pentaprism viewfinder, two command dials, and build quality of the Nikon D80. Those people will also tell me that the extra custom features of the D80are a very great deal indeed. Yet, when I tell those people that camera A have certain things that camera B doesn't have, they will always say things like "Come on, I can live without it" "Come on, do I even need it? :roll:" or "Come on, the extrafeaturesare not necessary" But they will tell me that ISO 3200 is very important when I don't think so.

People also used to tell me how important S.R. is, andthey will knock my experience "Where is your experience??? Where are you talking from???" whenever I say it is not an essential feature. On the other hand, the Sony A100 has it and they don't give a damm. Same thing about the anti-dust feature, they can tell me that "You clearly don't know a thing; you will appreciate the dust removal feature once you start changing lens often" and yet they alsowon't give a damm that the Sony A100 has it. (As if those features weren't significant at all) BUT when the PENTAX K10D was stated to have it, WOW, what a different story had evolved (Everyone looked at it like never before)...I bet if the Nikon D80 were to have those two feature that the A100 has, people would all glorify it and talk about it like never before as well.

Clearly, the Sony Alpha dSLR-A100 had been neglected badly. (Especially for it's $850 kit price tagtoday)

In my opinion, the Nikon D80 looks overpriced today at $1000 body only. (See how those people will react again)

These are also the type of people that would say that the pentaprism viewfinder of the D80is much better than the pentamirror one of the A100 (And that itwill bethedecision makingfor them). One the other hand, they wouldsay that the A.S. (Anti-shake)oranti-dust feature of the A100are less important. They will make it sound as if the Nikon D80 is the much better camera. (Today, I have to balance theequation)

Yet,it is funny to note that Pentaxowners always say how important the S.R. feature is, and that it is the deal for them. Clearly, the Sony Alpha A100 is a very neglected camera.

BenjaminXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2006, 6:32 AM   #22

Mark1616 wrote:
Quote:
Now I'm not saying that youwill need these things but would suggest that you consider where you might go in the future so that you don't end up spending $1000's more than you need to. For me this was an expensive lesson and I wish that I had known what I know now a year ago.
Good point.

Correct me if I'm wrong (I'm still learning), but if you want to get into things such as Sports photography, and need lenses to suit, are you generally limited to Nikon and Canon?

I'm guessing that Sony and Pentax have third-party lenses available, but not to the scope of Nikon and Canon who have dozens to suit this sort of case in their own range. Would the range of say a Sony or Pentax suit the beginner?
navap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2006, 7:00 AM   #23

BenjaminXYZ wrote:
Quote:
I think people are bias too (And you seems to be one of them).I think they are giving too much undeserved credits to the K10D. In fact, I don't think everyone knows the Sony Alpha A100 enough. When Pentax announced the K10D with the anti-dust feature and theS.R. feature, everyone wowed about it and got crazily excited about it all (claiming the innovation is the best ever & a dream come true). Conversely,the Sony Alpha A100 didn't get so much attention about it's anti-dust and A.S.. But when those people were informed about it, they just stared a cold eyetoward it and continued the K10D glorification. (Yet, they had earlierclaimed the K10D with the anti-dust and S.R. feature "was the best ever & a dream come true")

To further demonstrate how neglected the Sony A100 reallyis;

Those seemingly "same type of peoples" are also glorifying the Nikon D80 model over the Sony A100 model from my observations around (In other forums and reviews as well).They alwayssay that the D80 is a much better higher level dSLR because of it's pentaprism viewfinder,two command dials, better build quality, ISO 3200, RGB histograms, and ISO performance, menugraphics, LCD quality, D-lighting, in camera image editing, top mounted monochrome LCD status panel and etc etc...I can also make up a list for the Sony A100 such as anti-shake, dust reduction with anti static surface, advance dynamic range optimizer, eye start A.F., equallygood qualitycolor LCD+ anti reflective coating, highlight and shadow based metering, equally good high ISOquality andconvenientstatus paneletc...However, those people would tell me that those features are "nothing" compared to the pentaprism viewfinder, two command dials, and build quality of the Nikon D80. Those people will also tell me that the extra custom features of the D80are a very great deal indeed. Yet, when I tell those people that camera A have certain things that camera B doesn't have, they will always say things like "Come on, I can live without it" "Come on, do I even need it? :roll:" or "Come on, the extrafeatureare not necessary"

Clearly, the Sony Alpha dSLR-A100 had been neglected badly. (Especially for it's $850 kit price tagtoday)

In my opinion, the Nikon D80 looks overpriced today at $1000 body only. (See how those people will react again)

Yes, you must be right, I'm bias towards Pentax.....then why am I considering buying another camera? All of your posts boast about the amazing features of the A100, whilst belittling the rivals ('Crappy shutter release sound VS cool but loud shutter release sound). What makes the Pentax shutter release sound crappy? and what makes the Minolta...oops Sony shutter release sound 'cool'? That is where Bias is clear. Where exactly have you heard the shutter release of the Pentax K10 first hand? I'd love to go see one if you could tell me where.

The Pentax K10 has only been revealed over the past few weeks, and I doubt the A100's features (anti-dust, stabilisation etc) have gone unoticed until now.I think most people would agree, since the A100, future cameras are expected to have these features. Most people have simply been pleased that the K10 has these features, they are not touting it as revolutionary. Also, I believe the K100 had stabilisation before the A100 saw light of day....people don't claim the K100 is better because of it.

I think the K10D is getting attention because its Pentax's first truly comptetive camera for a while. Pentax were once the world's biggest selling camera manufacturer, and many people are excited about their first serious amatuer/semi-pro camera in the modern market.The K100D couldn't compete with cameras such as the Canon EOS 350D or indeed the Sony A100, but now the K10D is getting close. Also, the Pentax does have some features which many cameras don't or have got rid of, such as the dual mode dials, and LCD screen on the top of the camera. I don't think people are claiming the K10D is the best camera ever, there's simply a buzz of interest for it, people want to test/try it.

Also, I must say, I'm not a fan of Nikon, but I know many who are. People don't claim the D80 is the best camera ever, but its widely agreed that the image quality it produces if first-rate. Whether this is due to Nikon Lenses or the processing within the camera, i'm not sure. Many photographers simply rely on themselves to take great pictures with a camera producinghigh-quality image, noton the camera's features. This is why many people are happier with the Nikon.

Also, look at the example from Mark1611. Nikon offers options which neither Pentax OR Sony can match,atleast for the next few years anyway.

Lastly, the Sony A100 is anything but neglected. With the exception of Canon's EOS 350D, I think the A100 has seen more exposure through themedia than ANY other DSLR.
Old Oct 11, 2006, 7:04 AM   #24
Super Moderator

Yes there are still good lenses for Sony and Pentax but if you look at Sigma (in my opinion the best 3rd party lens supplier) then the new 70-200mm f2.8 EX DG Macro,80-400mm F4-5.6 EX APO OS DG, 100-300mm f4 EX IF DG, 120-300mm F2.8 APO EX IF HSM DG and if you want the daddy of nature/sport long lenses then it has to be the 300-800mm f5.6 DGEX APO HSM are not available in anything apart from Canon, Nikon and Sigma fits. Looking at Tamron you have some other lenses that are not in all mounts such as the AF 11-18mm f4.5 - 5.6 Di II LD, AF SP 17-50mm f2.8 XR Di-II LD ASP IF, AF 55-200mm f4-5.6 Di II LD Macro, AF 200-500mm F5-6.3 Di LD, AF 180mm f3.5 Di 1:1 Macro, which don't have a Pentax option and theAF SP 300mm f2.8 LD IF which has neither Sony or Pentax.

Should this be a concern???? That is a hard one, but one that I was not even aware of when I purchased to I have lost probably $1500 by having to replace all that I had on my Konica Minolta.

My theory moving forward is if you stick to the big players in the pro market then the amateur market will have plenty of options to keep it going.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2006, 9:40 AM   #25
TDN

Ok. I stopped reading after 2 replies...

The reason why you can't find any reviews and can't get your hands on a K10D, is because it's still in developement!

What are you actually argueing about? You're talking about a camera that's not even out yet!
How on earth can you tell it is "better" or "worse" than the other just by looking at the specs?

If you like the Sony, and are impatient to buy a camera, I'd say go for it. If you're not in a hurry, I'd say wait for the K10D to come out (I believe late October) and then will you get an accurate reading on it. Right now it's all just speculation and measurbation based on specs and pre-production previews.

TDN
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2006, 9:44 AM   #26

TDN wrote:
Quote:
What are you actually argueing about? You're talking about a camera that's not even out yet!
How on earth can you tell it is "better" or "worse" than the other just by looking at the specs?
I agree, thats why I don't actually claim any of the cameras in question are better than the other.
Old Oct 11, 2006, 9:45 AM   #27

Mark1616 wrote:
Quote:
My theory moving forward is if you stick to the big players in the pro market then the amateur market will have plenty of options to keep it going.

Thanks for your help.