Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 9, 2006, 6:26 AM   #1

i am in the market for a dslr. i have been debating over these two cameras. i like that they both have some sort of image stabilization, dust removal systems, both are in the 10 mg range, and they are around the same price. the pentax has weather sealing which is a plus, unfourtunatley there arent too many reviews for the k10d. i am wondering which camera would be a better buy for an improving photgrapher concerning, lense availabilty and quality, iso range (noise), durabilty, and other tidbits of information that would be useful. should i hold out for the k10d orgo withthe a100. like i said i know the k10d isn't out yet but any info concerning it or personal thoughts on the sony a100 would be much appreciated.
abieleck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 9, 2006, 6:53 AM   #2

Very hard to compare both models!

Pentax K10D on the left, and the Sony A100 on the right>>>

Penta-prism VS Penta-mirror: You might find it hard to noticed.

Weather sealed body VS normal body: You might never even get your camera wet! Both cameras would stand slight dampness though!

210,000 pixels LCD VS 230,000 pixels LCD with anti-reflective coating. Small difference! (Unless you're under the sun!)

Mono-chromic status panel VS color graphicalstatus panel: Small matter to people! (But I prefer the later!!)

No advance dynamic range optimizerVS dynamic range optimizer: Some noticeable difference in image quality.

Anti dust VS Anti dust: Equal!

Anti shake VS Anti shake: Equal!

10 MP CCD VS 10 MP CCD: The A100's 10 MP CCD is slightly bigger! (If you will even care!!) I do care though, because it tells me that it is a different type of CCD over the previous 6 MP one! The one on the K10D has the EXACTSAME dimensions as the previous 6 MP CCD, so I doubt about the extra 4 million pixels cramped into it!

3 fps VS 3 fps: Equal!

Crappy shutter release sound VS cool but loud shutter release sound: Subjective!!

OMG, do I need to go on???

$1000 VS $850: Yippee, the A100's kitwould be mineanytime!

PENTAX VS SONY: Crappy comparison in my opinion.

Regards.

BenjaminXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2006, 8:06 AM   #3

Benjamin, it is amazing how you manipulate the facts. Yes, you tell the truth but you mention only those facts which are convenient for you (it's very clearly seen that you're in favour of a100). My comments are following.

BenjaminXYZ wrote:
Quote:
Penta-prism VS Penta-mirror: You might find it hard to noticed.
You're wrong. It's very easy to notice difference. Difference is not because of what material viewfinder is made of. Magnification size matters. K10D is 0,95x, a100 is 0,83x. K10D has much better viewfinder.

Quote:
Mono-chromic status panel VS color graphicalstatus panel: Small matter to people! (But I prefer the later!!)
Sony does not have traditional top LCD panel at all. Therefore they display everything on back LCD display.

Quote:
No advance dynamic range optimizerVS dynamic range optimizer: Some noticeable difference in image quality.
That dynamic range optimizing is for shooting jpeg only, any serious pp processing program would be able to do the same. Of course, it is convenient when camera does it for you automaticaly. However we haven't seen yet what K10D is capable of in this area. Need to wait to see.

Quote:
10 MP CCD VS 10 MP CCD: The A100's 10 MP CCD is slightly bigger! (If you will even care!!) I do care though, because it tells me that it is a different type of CCD over the previous 6 MP one! The one on the K10D has the EXACTSAME dimensions as the previous 6 MP CCD, so I doubt about the extra 4 million pixels cramped into it!
23,6mmx15,8mm in a100 and 23,5mmx15,7mm in K10D. The whole 0,1mm difference in size! Do you really think it makes difference?

Also you haven't mentioned very nice picture taking modes of K10D (Hyper program, sensitivity priority, aperture+shutter speed priority) and the fact that K10D AF system is much faster and works better than a100?
Edvinas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2006, 12:10 PM   #4

BenjaminXYZ wrote:
Quote:
10 MP CCD VS 10 MP CCD: The A100's 10 MP CCD is slightly bigger! (If you will even care!!) I do care though.
I don't quite understand this point...regardless of the size of the sensor, what matters is the image quality. People complain about sensor size because it mostly becomes noticeable during higher ISO captures...of which the Sony has already been shown to be fairly poor at. The K10D has yet to be tested in this manner...

No offense intended towards the A100, but I don't think the K10D will prove to be any worse.

Please keep in mind that specs are specs. They do not always equate to real live performance.
swgod98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2006, 1:45 PM   #5

Code:
You're wrong. It's very easy to notice difference. Difference is not because of what material viewfinder is made of. Magnification size matters. K10D is 0,95x, a100 is 0,83x. K10D has much better viewfinder.

Alright, so I assume that Penta-prism with .95x magnification VS Penta-mirror with .83x magnification will be the much better viewfinder? (For the first?)

Code:
Sony does not have traditional top LCD panel at all. Therefore they display everything on back LCD display.
Which might haveit's advantage as well?

Code:
23,6mmx15,8mm in a100 and 23,5mmx15,7mm in K10D. The whole 0,1mm difference in size! Do you really think it makes difference?

I was concerned whether is the K10D using back the old superior 6 MP CCD (Superiorit isat 6 MP!!); but when they cramped in the extra 4 million pixels...(perhapes theycould bemaking it problematic?)

Code:
I don't quite understand this point...regardless of the size of the sensor, what matters is the image quality. People complain about sensor size because it mostly becomes noticeable during higher ISO captures...of which the Sony has already been shown to be fairly poor at. The K10D has yet to be tested in this manner...

You see, I was concerned about the CCD dimensions not because of what you think.... But I am assured that the A100 has a different CCD from the old 6 MP one since they both have different dimensions.

HOWEVER, the one on the K10D seems to be having the EXACT SAME dimensions as the old 6 MP CCD. (That makes me think whether they had simplyused back the old 6 MP CCD and just cramped in the extra 4 million pixels...)

You know, that superior 6 MP CCD of the past will no longer be superior anymore with pixel cramming.

That was what all my main concern was about; nothing else. (And just feel free to discuss the matter, not objecting all the time.) :-)

BTW, is the ISO performance of the A100 really that poor? If it is so, don't you think that the Nikon D80, D200, and the Pentax K10D will all also be bad as well; considering that they are all usingthe similar 10 MPSONY CCD chips?

Old Oct 9, 2006, 2:32 PM   #6

the two cameras do sound very similar, unfourtuately i haven't been able to handle the k10d, and get a feel for it. the body sounds more rugged with the 72 weather proofing seals which may be beneficial, (im from oregon and hike near and photograph waterfalls quite often).

one other topic concerning these two cameras were the available lenses. of the a100and the k10d, which would you hasbetter lenses? i'm thinking about quality oflenses, number and availability of different kind oflenses, andcompetitive pricing.Are the two in camera stabilization systems equal, if so which companies lenses set the camera apart?

thanks much for the info so far, it is always great to getarange of input.
abieleck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2006, 2:38 PM   #7

Quote:
BTW, is the ISO performance of the A100 really that poor? If it is so, don't you think that the Nikon D80, D200, and the Pentax K10D will all also be bad as well; considering that they are all usingthe similar 10 MPSONY CCD chips?
The chips are similiar, but not the same, especially with the D200. What is also different is the surrounding hardware and programming involved, and how the data it receives is processed. Camera makers have been using similiar chips for years, but some do a better job with the processing. It's not fair to throw a blanket over all these cameras because they use a similiar chipset.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2006, 2:43 PM   #8

Code:
The chips are similiar, but not the same, especially with the D200. What is also different is the surrounding hardware and programming involved, and how the data it receives is processed. Camera makers have been using similiar chips for years, but some do a better job with the processing. It's not fair to throw a blanket over all these cameras because they use a similiar chipset.
So what does that really mean?

The A100's ISO performance is really bad? What about the other cameras?

I know you will be thinking that I already have the infos. However, I think it is high time for me tostart beingreasonable. (That means, beingmore willing to listentothe opinions of others)Than just keep on imposing my findings.
Old Oct 9, 2006, 2:56 PM   #9

I didn't make any comments about the A100's (or any other camera's) performance. My point was the sensors may be similiar but are used differently. The D200 uses 4 channels to read the info from the sensor (one for red, and blue, and one for each of the opposing green channels), which is supposed to increase performance in FPS. The D80 uses 2 channels. Previous nikons used only one. Each manufacturer utilizes the chip differently from a hardware perspective and processes the info differently, which will produce different results. Because of the differences in utilization, it is irresponsible to say performance is the same simply based on a similiar chip.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2006, 3:02 PM   #10

Code:
I didn't make any comments about performance. My point was the sensors may be similiar but are used differently. The D200 uses 4 channels to read the info from the sensor (one for red, and blue, and one for each of the opposing green channels), which is supposed to increase performance in FPS. The D80 uses 2 channels. Previous nikons used only one. Each manufacturer utilizes the chip differently from a hardware perspective and processes the info differently, which will produce different results. Because of the differences in utilization, it is irresponsible to say performance is the same simply based on a similiar chip.
Yeah, you are correct there. But we were all talking about high ISO performance if I'm not mistaken.

Perhaps the ISO performance of the Nikon D200 = the Nikon D80 = the Sony A100 = the Pentax K10D (Maybe).