Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 11, 2006, 2:37 PM   #11

Quote:

That may be true, but what's that got to do with my point? I simply don't like the way Fuji advertises that line of cameras as having "anti-shake" when it doesn't. At least not the true optical image stabilization that most people think they are referring to. With that said, I'd probably choose the Fuji also. I just hate deceptive marketing.
I was just trying to say that the ISO performance of the Fuji cameras are good (The best amongtheir class and range today), so at leastimages won't be so bad in quality or noisy. I agree that they should have named it high ISO mode or some sort.
BenjaminXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2006, 2:54 PM   #12

gadgetnut wrote:
Quote:
BenjaminXYZ wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

The Canon S3 IS has true image stabilization.

The Fuji cameras have great ISO performance and ISO 100 - ISO 1600 (or ISO 3200) with their SuperCCD. That's a great ISO range as well. The Canonmega-zooms will not beas high performing as the Fuji mega-zoom cameras at higher ISOs. (Especially the 6 MP SuperCCD versions are superb!) :!:
That may be true, but what's that got to do with my point? I simply don't like the way Fuji advertises that line of cameras as having "anti-shake" when it doesn't. At least not the true optical image stabilization that most people think they are referring to. With that said, I'd probably choose the Fuji also. I just hate deceptive marketing.
Actually they don't use the term "anti-shake". I believe they call it picture stabilization, which is still misleading. It does work in the sense that by using high ISO it allows you to use faster shutter speeds to helb eliminate blur in both camera steadyness and subject motion. My 7 year old has taken great pictures with it. A lot of cameras have high ISO, but the Fuji walks away with less noise.

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2006, 3:06 PM   #13

Quote:

but the Fuji walks away with less noise.

I really think that the 6 MP SuperCCD (The one with ISO 100 - ISO 3200) is revolutionary when compared to the the next best ISO performer out there AFAIK of the typical P&S world. (Canon's 6 MP 1/2.5" Sony CCD)

From ISO 100 - ISO 400, the image quality of the FujiF30 (With the 6 MP SuperCCD),looksconsistently good and detailed; when the Canon model, with the 6 MP Sony chip is already starting to get noisy with visible detail lost.

Finally at ISO 800 - ISO 1600 (The F30), it justlooks likethe Canon P&S at ISO 400.

To those buyers: Don't just take my words for it, go and experiment for yourself with the camera models to make sure that they meet your expectations.
Old Oct 11, 2006, 5:08 PM   #14

I was in a similar boat as you a little while ago. I needed a camera with good range, both wide angle and zoom, I wanted dSLR like features and control without the expense of the body plus a high range lens, which would have easily exceeded $1500, and I do not have nearly that to spend on a camera now, or in the next few years.

If money were no object, I would have a Nikon D80 or Canon 350 with a variaty of lenses, but that is just not feasable.

As others were getting around to, the Fuji super CCD sensor has excelent detail and noise levels for it's sensor size. I would put it halfway in between most standard CCDs and a buget dSLR. BenjaminXYZ puts it very well. The problem with the S9100 is that the sensor is almost the same size as the 6MP Super CCDs, but it has 3 more MP in it, meaning you get more noise and less detail per pixel. If you needed to print very large shots, over 8.5x11, the 9100's senor might be more benefitial, but for action shots and low light shooting, the 6MP version will give better results.

Monday, I ordered a Fuji S6000, which has the lens of th S9000&9100, with the sensor of the F30. That means a great zooming range, and low noise pictures. It is missing some features from the 9100, such as a hot shoe and flash mount, along with a CF slot, but if you don't need those, the S6000 may be right for you also.

Some say they hate it because it advertises picture stablization, and to them I say, get over it, in the nicest way possible. Listen, it would be great if Fuji implimented optical stabilization along with the high ISO sensor, but they don't. That doesn't mean you should go buy a Panasonic and live in noise city. Also, for shooting sports, if you have the ISO turned up as well as the shutter, then you'll have no need for picture stabilization.

The only downside of the S6000 that directly relates to you is the F4.9 in the long end of the zoom is kind of slow, meaning blurrier, darker, or noisier shots at high ISO, but it is not terrible.

I have yet to receive my S6000 yet, and will keep you updated, but I think it is a very good candidate for your needs.
Carskick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2006, 6:02 PM   #15

Well I have the Canon S1IS which is considered a superzoom/dSLR like camera and the problem with taking pictures of action on stage(dance/gymnastics) is that the flash takes too long to recycle and you need low light capabilities so as to not have blur.

I would go with a dSLR because I've taken shots with my camera and a lot have turned blurry because the action is too fast.

As for soccer during the day a superzoom is more than enough if you are close enough to your subject(kids). In the evening it will be the same problem as the dance recital.
pagerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2006, 1:38 AM   #16

The Fuji S6000/S6500 mentioned by Carsick is probably the best choice of the digicams for low light or action shots. But, like the other digicams, as John mentions, it's still going to have a problem when you are shooing action in low light. It's capable of doing one or the other, but for both at the same time you will most likely need a dSLR for decent results.

The DSLR will also give other advantages, like quicker between shots, quicker burst rates, larger buffer, etc.

In addition to lesser high ISO performace (due to the smaller sensor), the other big limitation with the digicams is often the lens. As Carsick mentions, they won't be as bright as you might want for low light action when zooming. This will be true of most of the digicams; at their widest zoom they are typically capable of using an f2.8 aperture, but the maximum aperture increases to f4.0 and higher pretty quickly as you zoom in. F2.8 is twice as bright as f4.0, which means you can get twice the shutter speed for the same exposure.

To fully get the advantages of a DSLR in low light, you would want an f2.8 zoom lens, and for some situations might want an even brighter prime lens (f2.0, f1.8, and f1.4 are common).

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2006, 4:40 AM   #17

The Fujifilm FinePix S6500fd (as mentioned in here) would bean excellent (budget) choice. (I would personally say that it is a value for money)

With the well known high performing Fujifilm FinePix F30's SuperCCD HR in a pro-sumer body, it is going to be a very capable camera in my opinion.

The lens have a (In my opinion) nice 28 mm wide angle F/2.8to 300 mm F/4.9 telephoto. (Converted) [That is really good for such a camera with the SuperCCDHR]

The lens is also using a smooth mechanically linked zoom. (Not motor driven with steps) If I am not mistaken, there is a manual focus ring as well. (Correct me)

BTW, does any one know the price of theFujifilm FinePix S6500fd?

EDIT:

Fujifilm stated the high ISO mode as >>> "Picture Stabilization (auto High ISO)"

So it shouldn't be so misleading sincethey hadmentioned "high ISO"

__________________________________________________ _________________

OMG, everything was better than I had thought! :shock:

Quote:

To put things into perspective, the F30 has a similar level of noise (and detail) at ISO 800 to the SD 700 IS at ISO 200. Very, very impressive.
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilmf30/page12.asp

I agree: "Very very impressive...(Sorry for the extra long post)

Old Oct 12, 2006, 5:29 AM   #18

S6500 is currently about $440 US at a few places. I think Beach Camera has it around that price. I believe Norman camera had the lowest price, around $410? But I'm not sure of that vendor.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2006, 5:54 AM   #19

Quote:

S6500 is currently about $440 US at a few places. I think Beach Camera has it around that price. I believe Norman camera had the lowest price, around $410? But I'm not sure of that vendor.

That is a very good price for such a great camera in my opinion. (The 6 MP SuperCCD HR has already been proved to be fantastic on the F30 model)

This pro-sumertakes A.A. batteries (x4), have the new face recognition feature, and the 235,000 pixels TFT LCD for the live preview. (I heard that it has a scratch resistance glass panel over it too)

The camera weight 700 grams with battery (dSLR like weight). (Sounds like a solid camera)

Just remember to test the camera out if you are interested in buying it.

Old Oct 12, 2006, 7:15 AM   #20

ARGH!
You are 100% correct. Yes, after posting this, I read what the 6500/6000 considers image stabilization! (maybe it was you who said it in another thread) I wasn't pleased to see how deceptive their marketing is. I see it's the same for 9100 also.

I'm still hoping that the camera can still take good high-ISO pictures. The fast lens will help too. Really I'm just waiting on a thorough review to see how the camera compares.

gadgetnut wrote:
Quote:
Nicely put, digraph. It sounds like you and I are both giving her the same advice. I just wanted to point out one thing. You made the statement that, "many newer models like the Fuji she mentioned" have anti-shake technology. The Fuji does not. If you read more about that camera, you'll discover that what the Fuji does is bump up the ISO and shutter speed to compensate for shake. While I'm sure it works, it will also increase noise (because of higher ISO). That's not to say that it's not a great camera....it probably is. I just think their marketing is a little deceptive. The Canon S3 IS has true image stabilization.
digraph is offline   Reply With Quote