Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 11, 2006, 4:27 AM   #1

Hi everyone, I'm searching for some DSLR for myself.

I found out D70s to be most intersting to me.

I can buy it for about 850E (1050$) here.

Now in stores there is also D400 Rebel XTi for just a little bit more money.

I was reading much articles about both cameras but I did not getmuch smarter.

I realize that d400 is a next generation with much more MP but it does not play some role in my decisions.

D70s have one more LCD, wide variety of functions and many satisfied users since it came out. Most of complaints are about image quality.

Since d400 is next generation and have almost same price as d70s I cannot make decision.

Please help me get my DSLR.
mikicar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 11, 2006, 5:10 AM   #2

Quote:

D70s have one more LCD, wide variety of functions and many satisfied users since it came out. Most of complaints are about image quality.

What complains were they? I thinkthat itsimage qualities are one of thebest around; they are very crisp and natural.
BenjaminXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2006, 10:02 AM   #3

For example check and compare here.

http://pcworld.com/article/id,123929...s/article.html
Old Oct 11, 2006, 11:28 AM   #4

mikicar wrote:
Quote:
For example check and compare here.

http://pcworld.com/article/id,123929...s/article.html
OK,

Not taking issue one way or the other with whether the D70 produces good quality images. But, that's a link to PCWORLD. We're talking serious photographic equipment here - you really should be looking at reviews from photographers not PC evaluators. Or do you buy PCs based upon what Popular Photography says?

In all honesty, I suggest handling both cameras before making a decision. Picture quality among all the leading DSLRs is very good. Much of the choice is driven by system (i.e Canon vs. Nikon), whether your style of photography benefits greatly by a feature one camera has that the other does not and last, but not least by the ergonomics. Color, contrast, sharpness, etc are all parameters you can adjust in any of the DSLRs - so I would caution agains making a decision based solely on the default parmeters of a given body or system.

So, is there some feature of one or the other that jumps out to you? If not, then look at the potential lenses you'll be wanting to buy over the next 5 years (that's where you'll spend the lion's share of your money). If you don't know or there's no advantage there then it comes down to ergonomics and which camera feels/handles better to you.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2006, 12:09 PM   #5

Yeah, that was funny, about PCs and cameras

Thanks for your post.Since I made a lot of compare on this 2 camera's features I decided to ask here. Much more there is no big difference. I found d400 have no spot metter, have more AF points, d70s have faster shutter(but achieved on sensor, not shutter).

I prefer much d70s but since their price is equal and d400 is newer I decided to ask.

Maybe some prices will drop soon?

Thanks again
Old Oct 11, 2006, 2:38 PM   #6

The D70s is as cheap as it's going to get (because it has been replaced by the D80, so they price you're seeing is already a big price cut from what it originally cost), and the 400D is a brand new model, so the price won't be dropping on that for a few months at least.
MrPogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2006, 2:53 PM   #7

Quote:

The D70s is as cheap as it's going to get (because it has been replaced by the D80, so they price you're seeing is already a big price cut from what it originally cost), and the 400D is a brand new model, so the price won't be dropping on that for a few months at least.

Looking at it; the D70s will be a good deal now. The 18 - 70 mm kit lens of it is one of the best optical quality kit lenses around. The EOS 400D's kitcomes at about the same price as the D70s kit. However, keep in mind that it's 18 - 55 kit lens is not as good in quality optically as the Nikon one. (Prices may not be 100% accurate)

What about mega-pixels (How much do you need)? The EOS 400D have 10 MP and the Nikon D70s have 6 MP.

To the buyer:

I would suggest that youproceed to a camera store with the respective memory cards and test the camerasout there. (In this case, the EOS 400D & Nikon D70s)

BenjaminXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote