Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 11, 2006, 7:18 AM   #1

I lost my cell phone, and at the same time am thinking of getting a smaller more always there camera since my SLR is too big to carry unless I truly expect to use it.

SO... The though came - are any of the megapixel cell phone cameras good enough to meet the need of a good snap shop camera for these times.? Now I know it is all subjective, but I am not talking about pix to blow up to 8 x 10, or that are "art". I am talking more routine save the moment shots, or simple shots for those times I would otherwise say "Drats, I wish I had my camera".

So, thoughts?

Rick
AZRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 11, 2006, 7:29 AM   #2

That's a very subjective question. Some of the newer phones have cameras which are much better than they used to be.....but they used to be total junk. No cell phone camera is going to give you great pictures. Some are "good enough" to capture a pic to email off to a friend or save on the computer, but even the cheapest, most basic digicam is going to do better.
gadgetnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2006, 7:32 AM   #3

Just sharing my experience:

I brought a $1000 camera phone last yearend (Expected camera quality with Carl Zeiss optics), and Ihaveused it extensively for photos.

I wished I had listen to a forum member, who had made a comment before I brought the phone; "With $1000, you can alreadyget yourself the new Canon EOS 350D, since you're so concerned about image quality. TheEOS 350Dis a dSLR!" Clearly Ihave not listened. I used to argue that "It is better to have a camera phone than a separate camera and phone".Today, I know my mistake.

The phone also had many features that I won't use. In the end, I was better well off with a digital camera and a basic phone. Clearly, itwas better to get a good phone and camera.

I sold the $1000 camera phone away, and got the 8 mega-pixel Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-N1 camera. It was clearly much better.

Today,I don't even have $1000 to spend on a dSLR.

You should be able to draw the conclusion yourself.

Quote:
Are any cell phone cameras any good?

BenjaminXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2006, 9:08 AM   #4

Cell phone cameras are better than no camera at all, but the best one is not up to the quality of one of the ultra small point and shoot cameras that you can buy for around $200 or less.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2006, 10:14 AM   #5

Hi,

I have a Sony Ericsson K800i, and although the photo quality is no way near as good as one of my Sony P&S cameras, thephotos are not bad at all! Autofocus on the phone works well, as does the flash. Thephotos are good enough to print in standard sizes, and on a night out when you don't want to carry a camera, a phone like the K800i is perfect. In good light the photos produced are excellent for something so small, just don't rely on the flash in certain places.

On a recent trip I had to Egypt, having a camera phone with me proved worthwhile.A friend walked of with my camera, but I didn't miss a shot because I had my phone with me.

In my opinion, camera phones are great to have in those moments your camera is not with you. The photo quality on phones has improved ALOT over this past year.

In my experience Sony seems to have the clearest photo quality, but I hear the new Nokia's are getting closer. I got rid of my Samsung phone after seeing my friend's 2mp Sony W800i, and the improvement from that tomy 3mp K800i is definately noticeable.

Hope this helps.

navap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2006, 4:31 PM   #6

Thanks for the inputs.

Benjamin - I am assuming the phone you reference is the Nokia "transformer". Reviews in the phone world give glowing reviews of the camera. but from your comments, it's not that good. Since it is one ofthe best, that doesn't bode well

Tom - I think your thoughts are what I am concluding. Perhaps a two year old Canon digital elph off of ebay?

Navap - good counterpoint. Worth my consideration too.

Truly, I would prefer a quad band phone with no camera at all since there are places where I work where cameras are not allowed. But such a phone is tough to find, so I thought, ok, so what if I go ahead and get one with a camera - will it do dual duty.Your responses suggest not.

Rick
AZRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2006, 4:40 AM   #7

AZRick wrote:
Quote:
Truly, I would prefer a quad band phone with no camera at all since there are places where I work where cameras are not allowed. But such a phone is tough to find, so I thought, ok, so what if I go ahead and get one with a camera - will it do dual duty.Your responses suggest not.

Rick
Hi Rick,

Whether your phone will do dual duty depends on the photos you expect. You are right in thinking the photos can't compare to a dedicated digital camera, but I actually feel my K800i generally takes good photos.

If you want to take everyday photos, i.e. at a car show (my phone was definately good enough for that), and when out with friends/collegues, a new camera phone would do in good conditions.

If you need to take photos as part of your job, or the quality must be excellent, then you would be best using a digital camera.

Try searching google for mobile/cell phone reviews, as most new reviews carry out camera tests and give sample photos. Why not download one and try printing it to see the actual quality of their photos?

Hope this helps,

Pavan.
navap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2006, 4:58 PM   #8

I have K750 myself and it made me some $$.

http://www.thecarconnection.com/Enth...78.A10595.html
hohohong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2006, 10:23 AM   #9

Quote:

Try searching google for mobile/cell phone reviews, as most new reviews carry out camera tests and give sample photos.

Try http://www.mobile-review.com/index-en.shtml, it is a great mobile phone review site from my experience. I have been reading their mobile phone reviews for years already, and theyare allextensive and detailed.

You can alsocheck out the great forum in there at http://www.mobile-review.com/forum2. The forum is a veryinformative forum with many helpful andfriendlymembers around. I am personally an old memberofthe forum with 7000 over posts.

Plenty of phone comparisons, discussions, and reviews. Enjoy!

There is a Russian side if you are also interested.

BenjaminXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote