Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 13, 2006, 12:39 PM   #21

I meant to compare prices.....

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"At the camera shop:

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Canon rebel XTi body/lens $1,099.90

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"card $80.00

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"lens $759.99

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"total $1940.00

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Wal-Mart
style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Canon rebel XTi body/lens (kit) $898.77

2 gb card $90.00

75-300mm lens $180.00

total $1200.00

But I do not think what I bought has the image stabilizer?
jeepsr4girlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2006, 12:50 PM   #22

Wow! You went all out! What you bought was a fairly advanced DSLR camera. You paid quite a bit more than you need to. Check this out:

http://www.beachcamera.com/shop/prod...u=CNDRXTI1855B

Buying from Beach Camera means no sales tax and free shipping too.
gadgetnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2006, 12:57 PM   #23

What you bought is a DSLR (Digital SLR).

For the Canon, there is no IS in the body, if you want it, you have to buy lense with IS (which cost more).

Really all of the DSLR options out there right now are good cameras. And there are lenses available for each which would suit your needs. Sometimes it just comes down to what one feels best in your hand.

Though, that isn't what I might have recommended from your previous posts, it might be what you really want. I thought the E-500 kit you looked at was a good recommendation (and it is also available online for about $100 less than you found it for). But the XTi is a better camera.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2006, 1:03 PM   #24

gadgetnut wrote:
Quote:
Wow! You went all out! What you bought was a fairly advanced DSLR camera. You paid quite a bit more than you need to. Check this out:

I am so frustrated at this point! How do you know if a camera is an SLR or DSLR? How do you know if the camera and/or lenses have the image stabilizer? What does DSLR and SLR mean? I do want the image stabilizer, correct?

Much better price at beachcamera.com!

So, if I am willing to spend $1,000-1,500 TOTAL, what would you recommend?

I am going in the backyard to scream, I will be back! :O)
Old Oct 13, 2006, 1:05 PM   #25

Does your 75-300 lens say "ultrasonic" on it anywhere, or USM? The USM would be on the wheel after where it say f4-5.6.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2006, 1:09 PM   #26

jeepsr4girlz wrote:
Quote:
gadgetnut wrote:
Quote:

I am so frustrated at this point! How do you know if a camera is an SLR or DSLR? How do you know if the camera and/or lenses have the image stabilizer? What does DSLR and SLR mean? I do want the image stabilizer, correct?

Much better price at beachcamera.com!

So, if I am willing to spend $1,000-1,500 TOTAL, what would you recommend?

I am going in the backyard to scream, I will be back! :O)
LOL...I'm sorry. I didn't mean to complicate things. I just thought you might want to know that you could return that camera to Wal-Mart and save about $100 getting it from Beach Camera.

SLR means Single Lens Reflex. DSLR means Digital SLR. If you want image stabilization in the Canon you bought, you will have to purchase special lenses with stabilization built in (very expensive). If you get a DSLR with stabilization built into the camera body, then any lens you use is stabilized. My new Pentax K100D has that feature, and it sells for around $570 with a 18-55mm lens. I love that camera.
gadgetnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2006, 1:09 PM   #27

Quote:
How do you know if a camera is an SLR or DSLR?
I suppose the simplest way to determine, without going into specifics (I'm sure there are other people here who can explain it perfectly), it is to see if the lens can be changed or not (leaving out rangefinders, of which there aren't too many digital ones around AFAIK) - if the lens comes off and it's digital, it's very likely going to be a DSLR.

Quote:
How do you know if the camera and/or lenses have the image stabilizer?
I don't know about lenses - I assume that it's said somewhere in the lens name, and the pricetag is probably an indication too. In-body stabilizers are not very common yet - I believe it's mostly the (now older) Minolta DSLRs and their successor the Sony a100, and the Pentax K100D (and the upcoming K10D) that have it. The rest don't (apologies if I've missed any though).
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2006, 1:19 PM   #28

How do I know if I bought one with the image stabilizer?

I wasREALLY leaning towards the Canon S3 IS, the only thing that keeps me from buying it, is that I cannot upgrade it or add lenses. (I know, I know, I said previously that I did not want the hassle, but hey, I am a woman and I can change my mind if I want to!)

After being shown how easy it is to change lenses, I am okay with doing that now. I have made up my mind that I want a digital camera over a 35MM also.

I am going to take a deep breath now and try to review my wants/needs.

The MAJORITY of my picture taking consists of close-ups of people, pets, flowers, insects, etc. However, I would like the ability to reach out and get close-ups of wild animals, birds, etc. SPorts events, etc.

I also want a camera that can take good action shots. Most of my pictures will be outdoors, but I will take pictures indoors quite often.

I think I need something with an image stabilizer, due to my tendancy to shake when taking pictures. What are your thoughts?

I also want someone to explain what DSLR and SLR mean.

Will the 10.1 mega-pixel give me good enlarged photos to frame IF I decide my pictures turn out good enough to do so??? :O)

The lens that I bought, Canon EF 75-300mm, will that be able to reach out and get close?

http://http://www.imaging-resource.c...S/XTI/XTIA.HTM

Above is a link to a review of the camera I bought, I was not able to find the review on this website yet.

Hopefully I have not driven any of you away with my posts at this point!
Old Oct 13, 2006, 1:20 PM   #29

kenbalbari wrote:
Quote:
Does your 75-300 lens say "ultrasonic" on it anywhere, or USM? The USM would be on the wheel after where it say f4-5.6.
Yes, does say f/4-5.6 III
Old Oct 13, 2006, 1:26 PM   #30

From what I have read so far, the Canon S3 IS is the only camera (this type) that offers the image stabilizer in camera body. SO in order to have image stabilization, I will have to buy it on/in the lens, which will be expensive. Do I really NEED this feature or is this more for sports phoographers and such?