Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 14, 2006, 9:58 AM   #41

Update, I have played around with the Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi DSLR 10.1 mega-pixel camera. I like the way it feels, I like the ease of use and I like the quality of pictures. Both of the lenses are very easy to install and use (Although I am not used to reaching out and adjusting!)

The only thing this camera does not offer that I would like is the ability to take black & white and sepia pictures. But can this be done in the editing process?

I really think I want the DSLR/SLR camera because you can upgrade to bigger/better lenses (as money allows) and if I decide to keep this camera, I will add a better zoom list to my Christmas list!

The 75-300 zoom that we bought does bring in things to you at a decent distance, but still not what I had hoped for. I do not necessarily want to count the hairs on a deers back, but I woudl like to get some decent shots from about a 200 yard distance.

Now, does anyone know a comparable camera that DOES take black & white and sepia pictures? if this can be done in the editing process, I will not worry about this feature either.

I am no longer as concerned about the image stabilizer as I have seen the pictures and they are fine (even with me being shaky at times---especially with the large lens)

Again, thank you so much for the information you all have provided for me!
jeepsr4girlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2006, 12:09 PM   #42

Quote:
So, if I am willing to spend $1,000-1,500 TOTAL, what would you recommend?
Pentax K100D with kit lens (it's only $30 extra with the lens so might as well)....$589.00:
http://www2.buydig.com/shop/product....ku=PKK100D1855
Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4.5 DC Macro......$340.00:
http://www.sigma4less.com/shopdata/g...?a=SG1770F24PX

I also might consider one bright (f2 or lower) normal to short tele prime (fixed focal length) lens, though you might do better here looking for older lenses on ebay:
Pentax 50mm f1.4............$220.00:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...&sku=40755

And either of these (though I'd lean toward the 50-200, and again maybe look into older used lenses instead):
http://www2.buydig.com/shop/product....ku=PKFAJ75300K
http://www2.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=PKDA50200

And, if you'e serious about wildlife shooting with a long zoom, you might be interested in adding, in the future, something like this 135-400 for $520:
http://www.sigma4less.com/shopdata/g...SG135400F45DPX

Really you could start with the Camera & kit lens, the 17-70, and one of the cheap Pentax long telephotos for about $1150.00. Or skip the cheaper telephoto and go right for the big 135-400, and you'll be right at $1449.00 (though with the 105-202mm effective focal length range not covered).

The advantages of the above approach, you would have IS, the 17-70 would be bright enough for some lower light indoor shots, wide angles for indoors and landscapes, and it would be good for your close ups and macro shots (closeups of things like flowers and insects).

One disadvantage is that the K100D is a 6MP camera, rather than the 10MP.

But the lenses will hold their value longer than the camera. If you decide you need to upgrade the camera, you will be able to do so-the brand new 10MP K10D sells for around $900 currently. In another 2 years that will be the cheap older model. A good lens will still be a good lens 20 years later.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2006, 12:50 PM   #43

Quote:
The only thing this camera does not offer that I would like is the ability to take black & white and sepia pictures. But can this be done in the editing process?

I really think I want the DSLR/SLR camera because you can upgrade to bigger/better lenses (as money allows) and if I decide to keep this camera, I will add a better zoom list to my Christmas list!
Yes, you should be able to do that in editing.

And you may find you made a good buying decision after all! As long as you don't mind investing a bit more. That camera really is better than what you would get for less, so you are getting value for your dollar. I think if you had said that you had a total budget of around $2000 you might have gotten recommendations for that camera. But when you started wanting to spend $500.....

And just to warn you, there are other accesories you might find yourself spending on in the future as well. Such as an external flash. Or, for your wildlife shooting, you may find you get best reults with a tripod. Decent tripods start around $200, and one approporate to your camera and a long (and heavy) zoom lens might start around $400.00.

But, what is "affordable" is very much a personal preference.

What feels best in our hand is a personal preference as well. Some find the Canon too small, and prefer the larger Nikon or Pentax cameras--often those with larger hands. But many people prefer the size of the Rebel. If you like the handling of the camera, that's as important as anything else.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2006, 2:13 PM   #44
TDN

jeepsr4girlz wrote:
Quote:

Now, does anyone know a comparable camera that DOES take black & white and sepia pictures? if this can be done in the editing process, I will not worry about this feature either.
Huh? it doesn't have a setting for that? That would surprise me...try looking trough your manual and customs settings.

You probably will learn a lot from the people in the Canon DSLR forum now that you have one

TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2006, 2:25 PM   #45

I think you're better off doing a B&W/sepia conversion in post work anyway. You can never be entirely sure if a color or black and white image will work best. Shooting in color and then converting allow you to make the choice after the shot. Doing it in post work gives you more control over the final image as well. There are several good plugins that will do the job for you.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2006, 5:20 PM   #46

You guys were right, I can edit the photo to sepia or black and white...as soon as I learn how to post a ic here, I will show you what I have so far. :O)

Oh, one of you mentioned my previous investment amount was around $500-$1,000....I ended up soending $1,400. I hope I got a good deal. I am happy to know that I can at least upgrade and not be stuck with a point and shoot camera I would not be happy with in 2 years or so.

Unless any of you know of a better deal for $1,500 or less, I will just keep this camera. :O)
Old Nov 1, 2006, 9:11 AM   #47

I am trying to post a pic......with my new Canon rebel XTi