Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 11, 2006, 10:53 AM   #1

Hello, I am so glad I found this site. I hope to get some information from you guys and come back for more advice once I get a new camera. I am an amateur, but I love taking pictures! What I have right now is a 35MM Canon Sureshot 150u (38mm-150mm zoom) This is a great little camera for everyday photos, and I have even taken some great shots of close up items such as flowers. I also have a Kodak DC4800 Zoom Digital camera 3.1 megapixel which I bought 4-5 years ago that I RARELY use. The reason that I do not use it is that I honestly have not taken time to learn how to use it. I have taken some DECENT pictures, but they do not see to have the same quality as my 35MM.

My main reason for wanting another camera isfor taking far away wildlife shots (the ability to zoom in and get a clear/close picture) and close-ups of people, flowers, etc.

The majority of my picture taking is outdoors, although I do take some indoor pictures and would like to also consider indoor picture with low lighting.

I would like to spend less than $1,000, preferable more like $500 or less! I would like someone to give me a list of options and prices.

Thank you in advance!

Michele in Louisiana
jeepsr4girlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 11, 2006, 11:18 AM   #2

Hi Michele,

If you want the ability to zoom in on subjects, you may want to look at cameras that are referred to as "Super-Zoom" cameras. They are fixed lens, point & shoot cameras with good zoom and telephoto abilities.They usually have manual settings as well. Many of the better models are in the $300-$500 range and they take great pictures.If you don't mind spending quite a bit more and a higher learning curve, you can always go with a DSLR. To get the kind of "reach" you want from a DSLRwill require a separate lens purchase and that can start getting expensive.

As far as some Super-Zooms to look at, I'd recommend the Fuji S6500fd orCanon S3 IS.
gadgetnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2006, 11:34 AM   #3
TDN

I'd advise you to get either a "super zoom" hybrid or a DSLR, depending on what you plan to do with it.

If you're an occasional shooter, who wants a lot of flexibility and shoot under normal lighting conditions, go for a super zoom.

Examples:

Canon S3 IS http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_reviews/s3is.html
Heard many good things about this one. I'd recommend this one

Panasonic FZ-7 http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_reviews/fz7.html
I have the FZ-3 myself, and like it a lot, in bright wheather.
This one will do great in normal and bright wheather, the lens really shows what it can do then. In any other lighting conditions, this one will produce a lot of (ugly) noise...

The other ones on this page will do too, but personally I'd go for the S3 http://www.steves-digicams.com/best_cameras.html

A DSLR is a whole different story. The quality and versatility will be better, but it'll also cost more and require more work.

Unless you're really interested in photography a lot, I wouldn't recommend it.

good luck on the camera hunt!

TDN

TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2006, 7:50 PM   #4

Thank you both so much on your replies. I found 2 cameras today. One is an Olympus Evolt 500 kit 8 megapixel duel lens 40-150 mm lens and 14-45mm lens $699.00

I also found an Canon 10x optical zoom Zuiko digital lenses 2.5 ccd XD compatible $799.00.

Also, I seen the Canon Powershot 35mm for about $300.00 that is supposed to take good zoom pictures and has the optical lenses and was an SLR camera.

I am so confused. I really want to be able to take good close up pics of people, animals and flowers as well as take pictures of far away wildlife. Those are my two main objectives. However, I do want something versatile enough to take indoor pictures when needed or even action shots (rodeo, sports, etc.)

I do not care if it is digital or 35 mm, I just want a nice quality picture. I read you woudl rather have SLR and optical lens though, so are those 2 things that are a must?
Old Oct 12, 2006, 8:31 PM   #5

Another thing, I want the option of taking black and white and sepia pictures as well.
Old Oct 12, 2006, 9:00 PM   #6

All the Canons, that I know of, in digital can do black & white and sepia. Many other cameras do the same.
KALEL33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2006, 7:09 AM   #7

Nearly all digital cameras have the ability to do B&W or sepia. Some require you to turn on that setting before taking the shot while others will let you shoot in color and then change the picture later.

I don't know much about good film cameras. I went from full-auto, point & shoot film to digital several years ago. I have purchased my last roll of film.

One thing I wanted to point out: You mentioned theOlympus E-volt 500 dual lens kit. While that is a very good camera, just be aware that neither lens in that kit is going to give you great "reach" for wildlife or candid shots of kids. I believe the longest telephoto lens you get is a 40-150mm, and I think you'll find it's not enough. You're probably still going to want to purchase yet another lens for the shots you mentioned. You'll want at least a 200mm and a 300mm is even better.

If you do decide that you're willing to make the financial and time investment into a DSLR, you have many great choices. If you decide you don't want the expense or trouble, I'd still recommend that you look into the Fuji "prosumer" line such as the S9000 or S6500fd.
gadgetnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2006, 7:37 AM   #8
TDN

agreed with gadgetnut

I would definitly go digital if I were you. It comes out cheaper, easier and more versatile than film.

a DSLR will give you loads of options, but will be a more substantial investment and will require soemwhat of a learning curve.

As gadgetnut mentioned, there are a lot of manufacturers that provide a so called "super zoom", that is often a very good camera. Fuji being one of them. I'd look into those aswell...

TDN
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2006, 7:41 AM   #9

This feels like going into Baskin Robbins ice cream and having to decide on just one flavor! Too many choices! We have a local camera shop here and I have decided that I will be better off going there rather than Target, Sam's or Wal-Mart. I have decided NOT to go with a DSLR/SLR due to the expense of lenses and my lack of my patience dealing with more cmplicated gadgets!

After reading your responses, I feel I would be better off with a "point and shoot" camera. Super zoom type, fixed lens.

I am wanting the OPTICAL lens, correct?

I am also still trying to decide of digital or 35MM......does not matter to me, I just want good, clear pictures.

So far, it looks like I am leaning towards the following:

Canon S3 IS

Fuji S6500fd or S9000

Panasonic FZ-7 (although I admit, Panasonic and camera just does not mix to me....sounds more like I am buying a phone or hair dryer...no offense!)

When I think "good" camera, I think Canon and Olympus.

What BRAND film do you guys normally use and what speed?

Old Oct 13, 2006, 7:43 AM   #10

One of the other things that I would like to know about is camera dock printers....are these good? Do they print out quality pictures? Any recommendations on these?