Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 13, 2006, 2:26 AM   #1

I am looking to buy a high end point and shoot camera (one step below an SLR). I have narrowed the choice down to the Canon PowerShot S3 IS and the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50K... I cant make a choice as to which one to buy, any recommendations?
us131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 13, 2006, 1:32 PM   #2

just a little bit more info:

intially i was going to get an DSLR, but decided against it as its a little to expensive and mostly because carrying all the lens is a little impractical.

I had a dimage z3 and then had a panasonic dmc fz5 (both of which got stolen) and i

i mostly take shots of scenary (during hiking), city shots at night, and cars racing. parties shots i dont do much of. I like the feel of a real camera. going from the z3 to the fz5 was a huge postitve difference.

To get an idea of some of the pictures i have taken in the past you can visit my web site:

http://www.Journeykaizen.com
Old Oct 13, 2006, 2:10 PM   #3

I would go for the PowerShot. It's smaller, hence easier to carry, maybe a little less prone to breakage. It is also cheaper. Given that your 2 previous cameras have been stolen, you will lose less if this one disappears, too.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2006, 2:14 PM   #4

I was also looking in to the sony dsc-r1. If i was to attach a telephoto lens to it, it would have pretty close to the same zoom as the other two... i gathered the cheapest prices for a package price that would include all the lenses and other accesories (memory card, 2 lens (wide & tele), filters, bag, tripod, etc.)

DSC-R1: 900
S3IS: 500
FZ50: 650

which one do you think?
Old Oct 13, 2006, 6:39 PM   #5

You will get the best images from the Sony Dsc-r1 in the wide angle to mid-zoom range. It's also superior in lowl ight throughout.

However, I am still wondering if such a camera wouldn't simply be even more attractive to the camera thieves around you.

You travel a lot. Given that I would be likely to carry a smaller camera, something pocketable. Kodak and Panasonic both make small superzooms.

Anything, good luck!
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2006, 10:17 PM   #6

Hmm... since you're looking at a
Sony R1. I might suggest a Kodak P880. I have one and I love mine. (It has more zoom then the sony, and is smaller and lighter.)

It has 8mp, a 24mm wide angle, great picture quality, manual zoom and focus rings, etc. Really advanced and such. And you can get a telephoto lens to get you out to 196mm for even more zoom.

Anyway, if you're shooting race cars, this camera might not be for you. I don't think its really fast enough for that. (Burst is a little slow.. and full press shutter lag is a little long. Depends on the lighting. Anyway, you can get a P880 real cheap. 299$ at costco.com if, I remember right. (Till the end of october)

If you need more zoom, you could look at the Kodak Z612. Its supposed to have very fast performance. And 12x Is zoom. And manual controls and features, and its supposed to be pretty small. Read the review on this site for more.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

-En
En121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2006, 1:55 AM   #7

after reviewing the sony r1, ive been told that for taking pictures of cars racing that..."without first-class teleconverters, you will lose a lot of image quality"

the fz5 did a pretty descent job at catching some really fast cars:

here is a pic with the fz5 of a car that pulls the same if not more g's than the space shuttle:

http://www.journeykaizen.com/pages/doug_foley.JPG

in the same regard it took good scenary shots, but it suffered at night...

nonetheless i was happy with panasonic fz5 but wanted to go a level higher in the point in shoot realm.
Old Oct 14, 2006, 9:29 AM   #8

personally i feel u should go for the S3 ... or u can evem check the Fz7 .. the only flaw i think with the fz7 is it works on li-on battery.
the Fz50 is just not worth the money ... u can get a pentax k100 with Is .. for the same price ... but with lightning fast speed and versatality of a Dslr ... an if u jack up ur budget a bit .. can also buy a Canon Xt or nikon D50.

U might wanna check the Fujifil S6500 too .. the only thing is its too new .. and doesnt have sufficient reviews to make a good decision ... but u get it for 450$ on amazon i think.

the Fz50 uses the same 1/1.8" sensor used on the fz30 .. all they have done is crowded more pixels .... which in turn really makes indoor and night photography a pain due to grains at high iso's.
So i would say go for the S3 ... its much cheaper than Fz50 and doesnt sacrifice any vital features.
i was at the same spot as u were ... 1st i decided to buy the S3 .. then i thought hey Fz7 is much cheaper .... but then again ... hey fuji S6500 has face detection and 3200iso ... but then again i saw the Fz50 and .. again i was wow ..10mp ... but then .. i finally ended up buying the canon Xt .. with 18-55 lens.

u gotta make up ur mind man ...

And i would really not suggest the Sony R1 ... or any Sony ultra zooms .. u can read reviews on the net ... they have lot of Purple fringing ... and their cost is not justified ... i mean for the price of an R1 ... u can get a canon Xti or even Canon 30d or Nikon D80 ... which are faar beyond ... these cameras.

And please dont hate me cuz im not a sony fan .. .but im not a sony fan for a reason ... that i justified above .... im sure many other people might have had good results with sony ... so please no hard feelings ...

Good luck for ur purchase
sr2002 is offline   Reply With Quote