Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 13, 2006, 5:54 PM   #1

I am currently using a Minolta Dimage F300. The main drawbacks I have found with this camera are speed and battery life.

I want to get something in the ~$300-$350 range that is FAST and Image quality is great on automatic settings.

This will just be an all-around camera but I don't need tons of manual controls because I won't use them. I just want to be able to turn it on, take a great picture, turn it off, and be on my way.

My dad has the Canon sd400 which he really likes and I like it too. So I am currently looking at the sd700 or the a630 or the casio ex-z600. I also looked at the new a710is but I have read some less-than-stellar reviews about it. (I am not stuck on Canon necessarily).

I do take a lot of pictures out on the boat wakeboarding so I am wondering if some sort of image stabilization would be worth it.

I also really like the ultra high speed burst function on the dimage f300 that allows me to take about 11 pics in 1 second, so if I could find something that has a feature comparable it would certainly be a plus.

The largest prints I would make with this camera would be 8x10 so I don't really think I need something over about 7 mp.

What are your recommendations??
clear4dep is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 14, 2006, 1:22 PM   #2

are u kiddin me 11fps ... theres no digicam that has such a speed according to my knowledge.

if u really want speed .. u can get a Dslr .. maybe a 30D from canon .. i think it has [email protected]

i dont think u'll get anythin better than 3fps from any Point and shoot type consumer cams like A630 or Sd700.

My choice would be the A630 as it uses AA batteries .. u can just run and get some from a local store incase u run outa juice.
The A series cams are really solid in ur hand .. they feel right ...
The A series also includes practical features like swivel screen and 800iso ... good flash.

for ur cost budget .. i would recommend a A630 or maybe a S3 ... or even The FZ7 if ur ok with the Lion battery.

As for the A710Is ... i dunoo much abt that cam ... but u should also check out the panny Dmc-Lz5 ... it has the same specs ... but might be a bit cheaper.

good luck
sr2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2006, 7:19 PM   #3

Thanks for the response sr2002.

Well I guess it is not the normal 11fps...its a function on the f300 called UHS Continuous - Ultra High Speed Continuous. It takes 11 pictures in one second at a res. of 1280x960. It is a really cool feature that I like to use taking shots of sports action like when a friend is wakeboarding, etc. You can see their entire motion in 11 shots.

Yeah I think I am really leaning towards the a630. The only thing I DON'T like about the a630 is the size. It seems a little bit large but I guess I can live with it because it is fast and takes good pictures. I think the S3 is more camera than I will find use for, plus I don't like its smaller LCD.

Do you think the Image Stabilizer of the 710is is something i should really consider? I take probably 95% of my pictures by hand so I am thinking the IS could really benefit me, but I'm not sure if that camera itself is any good.
Old Oct 16, 2006, 11:14 AM   #4

I was dead set on the A630 until I looked at the FZ7. Price was a minor factor but the 12x zoom with IS and the size of the package put it over the top.
inazsully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2006, 11:58 AM   #5

image stabalisation is really a virtue ... to use in ...

u can use slow shutter speeds at tele end or wide end ... so u dont need to jack up the iso and loose quality.

but again if size is an issue for u .. i dont think the ultra zooms will be that compact.

if u ask me .. i would choose the S3 or the panny Fz7 over the 710Is ... i mean y should u sacrifice 6x of zoom for nothin?

Theres also the Panny Lz5 .. which u might wanna check out .. its a real good cam .. it has 6x Is zoom .. plus it works on 2 AA batteries .. and i really small ... u can probably fit it in ur pocket .. its definately smaller than A630.... i recently bought that one for a friend. it also has a big lcd .... which is low res .. but hey ... theres gonna be some ups and downs ... but due to the low res Lcd .. the battery life will be a bit better ... and u cant go wrong with the Classic Lieca lens ... which performs reall nice ... on all the Fz and Lz series cams from pana.
sr2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2006, 1:10 PM   #6

For the uses you described I think you might be happiest with the SD700 IS.

I don't think the IS will help on the boat quite as much as you think, because in that situation, in bright sunlight, you will normally get a fast enough shutter speed that it won't have a big impact. But it's still a very useful feature to have; it makes a huge difference in moderate to lower light.

The chief advantage of the 710 IS seems to me to be the manual controls; if you don't intend to use them, then you might as well go for the morre convenient sized camera.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2007, 9:02 AM   #7

What did you decide?

I've also got a F300 which has served me well and I'm pretty happy with the picture quality, but the battery life is so poor it's almost useless. The shutter lag can also be frustrating.

Looking for something about the same size with better battery life, good picture quality and fast response time.

Thanks!
speedbump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2007, 2:32 PM   #8

I ended up choosing the sd800. I am super happy with the choice. Although it was a bit more expensive than I wanted to spend (~$400) the wider angle it has (28mm equiv.) is awesome. It takes great pictures and I am definately glad that I didn't choose another camera for more features because I simply would not use them. I find myself using the "scene" modes on the sd800 quite a bit and they do make the photos often times better, particularly the INDOOR mode.

The battery life is great: the camera size is just perfect - easy to stash in a pocket but not SO small that its too awkward to hold: controls are super easy to use. Like others have said in reviews of the camera on various websites, the mode selector is not my favorite but it definately is of very little concern as it works perfectly well.

The only thing i haven't done is upgrade to a larger capacity/higher speed memory card. I am currently using an older standard SanDisk 512mb card. I find it to be adequate though since I can take approximately 125 photos on it and I am usually around a computer to download them when it gets full. If I go on vacation in the future, I will defintely invest in a larger card but for now this one is fine.

Hope that helps!