Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 15, 2006, 3:22 AM   #1

I own a FZ30 an really loving it. But there are a few things that I don't like. For example the DOF, in some cases the dof is great but when shooting a flower or a bird, most of the times the background is to clear (not blurry enough). And there were a few occasions that I needed a higher iso setting. Iso 400 with the FZ30 is a bit noisy (but it's better to have the shot than have no shot at all) but at that times a needed a faster shutter speed to shoot the indoor action.

So what do any of you suggest?

I don't have a real big budget (It's the price of the FZ30 plus the price of the raynox 150 + 250 and the olympus tcon 1.7)

Should I go for the FZ50 to be able to have higher iso and take the DOF for granted or should I buy something else?

Thanks!

Rudo
Rudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 15, 2006, 5:26 AM   #2

For your criteria, an entry level dSLR with a longer zoomlens will be a great choice.

Don't forget the wide end though (Which will be important for general use). Getthe dSLR with the kit lens, and thenbuy a separatelonger zoom lens for it as well.
Digital SLR cameras like the Pentax ist* DS2, Canon EOS 350D, and the Nikon D50 would be a great choice.

The Pentax ist* DS2 isknown for it'sbig & brightviewfinder, big & sharp LCD, good ISO performance, pleasant image quality, good quality design, and compactness.

The Canon EOS 350D is well known for it's superbimage quality, low noise levels, and ultra compact design.

Finally, the Nikon D50 isa dSLR with asolid&comfortable design,astounding high ISO performance (Most clean high ISO images of all),very broad dynamic range (One of the best),bright & saturated JPEGs, extensive image perimeter settings, andvery good battery life.

BenjaminXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2006, 3:35 PM   #3

I agree. Get a DSLR. I had the FZ30 and then got a digital Rebel a few months later. The picture quality of the Rebel was so much better than the FZ30. But the zoom and video capabilities of the FZ30 had me carrying both, which was a pain. Two weeks ago, I sold my FZ30 on ebay and bought a good ultra compact, Sony T30, and a 75-300mm(120-480mm on the Rebel) lens for the Rebel.

btw, you can get a Rebeland an affordable zoom lens in your price range. I paid $400 for my Rebel with the kit lens, and $160 for my zoom lens(without IS).
DirtyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2006, 4:43 PM   #4

OK, thanks for the replies and the information.

Here in Holland the D50 is one of the most affordable entry DSLR's so I'm gonna take a look at that.

But will keep other brands in mind.

Rudo
Rudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2006, 10:13 AM   #5

I also replaced my FZ30 with a pentax *istDL when they went on the cheap before their replacement came out in July. The replacement is the pentax k100D - built in image stabilization is said to be very helpful in certain circumstances. the camera i got doesn't have it so i can't say i miss it that much. you'll definitely be happy with any dSLR purchase over your current camera. good luck!
milrodpxpx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2006, 11:34 AM   #6

Going to FZ50 won't fix your DOF problem. Even though DOF is large with cameras like FZ30, you should still be able ot get blurred bg with it. You need to make sure the bg is bit far from your subject and use full zoom setting.

Here is an example with my old FZ1 at full zoom

For flowers, I was using B-Macro lens.

dSLRs would definitely help but you need to spend good money to get a quality lens which gives you the zoom reach that you need for your bird shots. I know, as I own canon 100-400L IS and canon 400mm f5.6 and want the 500mm f4 IS.

bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2006, 3:38 PM   #7

Cost is what scared me initially too, don't let the last post deter you. sure, Canon IS lenses cost an arm and a leg. you could get that, or you could get a pentax K100D with image stabilization built into the camera - that makes every lensstabilized. and a good 300mm lens gives the same reach as a 12x equivalentsuperzoom. I'm just saying that it CAN be done on a budget, even the average consumer grade DSLR lens will give great images that rival and exceed prosumer cameras on a regular basis.

when it comes to depth of field, I picked up a50mm f1.7 pentax smc-a lens (it is manual focus, but easily metered with the camera) for $30 at a local camera shop. gives amazing blurred background and very sharp photos. ask how much an f1.850mm lens for a canon costs...i'm sure it is quite abit more.
milrodpxpx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2006, 4:29 PM   #8

Brand new 50mm f1.8 AF for canon only costs $80. Almost all mfg have dirt cheap fast 50mm AF lenses. Money becomes issue when you need 300mm or higher focal lengths. Sure consumer grade 300mm will give you pictures but the quality difference between that and what you get with good glass is more than what you get when you move from small sensor cam to dSLR with consumer glass. Just my opinion.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2006, 6:34 PM   #9
Super Moderator

Hi Rudo,

I don't think you mentioned what sort of photography you wanted to use it for as this might make a difference. The other thing to consider is how you might want to progress in the future. I made the mistake of thinking that a Konica Minolta 5D would be the way forward for me as at the time it did everything that I wanted, however in the year I have owned it I have reached the limit of what it can do. BTW it gives fantastic results. I early on got into shooting sports and as time has progressed I needed to get a vertical grip and also want to get a Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 lens which is not an option for the KM. Based on this I would say look at the brands that the Pros in photography are using then you know you will always be able to get additional lenses and there will be an active second hand market.

Just my opinion but hope it helps.

Mark
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2006, 7:40 PM   #10

Rudo wrote:
Quote:
I own a FZ30 an really loving it. But there are a few things that I don't like. For example the DOF, in some cases the dof is great but when shooting a flower or a bird, most of the times the background is to clear (not blurry enough).
In macro, I decrease exposure compensation to -2 and use full zoom and flash and get blurry backgrounds.

romphotog is offline   Reply With Quote