Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 16, 2006, 5:57 AM   #1

My wife and I are both avid photographers and i was wondering what camera would be a good choice for our 4 year old daughter.We just went out this weekend on a walk with her and she told us she wanted to bring her camera.This happened to be a 3d viewmaster,for looking at her wiggles.

I thought it would be nice for her to have a real digital camera that was fairly easy to use and rugged as possible.I know nothing is child-proof,but something that was close would probably help. Any suggestions?
Bsmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 16, 2006, 8:43 AM   #2
Super Moderator

I have wondered about this a lot too.

I think the only camera that fits the bill at the moment is the Olympus mju 710/720.

It has an internal zoom, good for little fingers that might try to push it. It is shock resistant to a fall of 1.5m and water resistant to a depth of 3m.

That's fairly kid proof IMO.

My 2.5 year old daughter was using my Panasonic FX01 at the weekend and nearly dropped it in a pond, fortunately my fast reflexes managed to grab it instinctively, but I got lucky, 2 times out of 3 I wouldn't have caught it.

There are of course "toy" cameras around, but it didn't seem like that was what you were interested in.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2006, 10:53 AM   #3

hi.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"i just got canon powershot a420 for my daughter with the printer and everything was 150 very cheap and nice for a kid. in radio shack
Marimar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2006, 11:13 AM   #4

I think,since were talking 4 year old here.Right away it would be fairly inexpensive,since it has a very good possibility of getting broken.
Bsmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2006, 11:19 AM   #5

Fisher-Price Kid Tough Digital Camera.
David French is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2006, 11:24 AM   #6

well my daughter had digital cameras since 3 years old and never broke any of my cameras, it depends of the kid

buy it the barbie or hello kitty camera then if you dont want to spend much.
Marimar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2006, 12:59 PM   #7

There seem to be two ways you can go, cheap or rugged. If you choose the rugged route, this might be an option:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_...stylus720.html

But, whether it will be easy enough for a 4 year old to use I don't know. And at around $300, it's not cheap.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2006, 2:10 AM   #8

Gotta agree with Marimar.

The Olympus 720 might be an OK idea if you already want an underwater camera, but honestly, even if it is shock-proof, I don't know if I'd trust a $309 camera to get knocked around constantly. I certainly wouldn't take it underwater after it had been beat up.

I'm sure you'd be happy with something cheap and fairly durable. You know, try to teach her to be careful with it, but make sure it's something that's no big loss if it doesn't last too long.

The HP E317 or E327 (bigger screen) might be worth checking out. They're just under $100, really simple, and no extending lens to bump. The Kodak C300 and C310 are pretty similar.

You could also check eBay. There are a lot of good looking candidates in the 3.0-3.9 MP range with buy-it-now prices under $40, like some simple HP's that take AA's and come with memory cards.
Tostada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2006, 9:05 AM   #9
Super Moderator

I have seen reviews on the Olympus Stylus/Mju 720, where they tested it for reasonable ruggedness, and it came through fine.

I am seriously considering it for my little girl who is 2.5 years old. She currently uses my wife's Canon Ixus and my Panasonic FX01. She has never yet damaged one, but there are a couple of reasons why the 720 looks good for her.

1. No protruding lens, so easier to hold and less likely to accidentally break it by forcing it.

2. Shock proof to 1.5m, she is much smaller than that at the moment, and it should easily cope with a fall of less than 1m.

She loves taking photographs, and gets some very nice ones too. Mostly she wants to take pictures when I am taking pictures, but she can't lift my SLR and can't really focus through the viewfinder, so the LCD is ideal.

Having said that however, I have nieces and nephews that I wouldn't trust with anything other than a toy camera. Less interested, more boisterous, prone to acts of wanton destruction (the boys obviously :-)). So it does depend very much on the child.

Attached Images

Old Oct 18, 2006, 9:06 AM   #10
Super Moderator

And then she wanted to take one of her mum and dad, so I handed her the camera.

I love how her photos are all from an angle that I never see the world from.
Attached Images