Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 18, 2006, 5:06 PM   #1

Here are three contendars for my next digital camera...I originally had a hp model that was quite heavy and 3x optical, 6x digital and very bulky.

I want a camera that i will use primarily for tourism and shots of city life, also clouds and the ocean and portraits.

While I would like a wifi camera---since I don't have a wifi account, it isn't such a big deal.

the importance is size of camera (has to be portable and inconspicuous (sp?)), at leadt 5 mp, at least 6x optical (old camera was 3x) and have AA batteries and multiple shooting modes (the more the better!)

Here are my options so far.

Panasonic lumix dmc-lz2
panasonic lumix dmc-tz1a
panasonic lumix dmc-lz5k

which one of these is the best and the best value?

and is there a big difference from 6x optical to 10x optical, especially if I am used to just 3x optical?

also, I am really torn about the batteries issues...I do travel internationally, and I want a camera that takes batteries that I can purchase anywhere. i do not want to have to depend on a docking station for my camera or a battery charger that depends on me having the right plug adapters for international sockets.

thanks everybody!
ilovetotravel29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 19, 2006, 1:54 PM   #2

Sorry, I know my questions must be a pain.

I am an amateur photographer who really just likes to take pictures of her travels, and pictures that are good enough to place on her laptop as wallpaper. That is the criteria....decent images that do not blur when being made into wallpaper.

Ok, so I DO have a few more criteria

Under $250 bucks
At least 5 megapixels
At least 6x optical
Requires AA batteries
Ultra-portable (ie not a huge monolithic type camera)
A multitude of settings that actually work (ie portrait, night portrait, landscape, action/sport, etc.)
lcd screen of more than 1.5
auto focus
accepts a standard SD memory card that I could easily buy off the net

ilovetotravel29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2006, 2:32 PM   #3

A lot of people don't like to touch this question because it's so open ended.

All of today's cameras have the quality you desire. You're really shopping just for price and that 6x optical zoom. Any sales person who helps you will probably steer you toward his/her favorite brand. 6x optical zoom might be a little limiting for your price range, so be flexible with one or the other.

I would go to any camera shop (or big-box retailer) and just choose the model that's most attractive and has the right shape for you. (all of those panasonics are fine for your needs).

That said, take a look at the Canon Powershot A630. good luck and have fun.

ilovetotravel29 wrote:
Quote:
Sorry, I know my questions must be a pain.

I am an amateur photographer who really just likes to take pictures of her travels, and pictures that are good enough to place on her laptop as wallpaper. That is the criteria....decent images that do not blur when being made into wallpaper.

Ok, so I DO have a few more criteria

Under $250 bucks
At least 5 megapixels
At least 6x optical
Requires AA batteries
Ultra-portable (ie not a huge monolithic type camera)
A multitude of settings that actually work (ie portrait, night portrait, landscape, action/sport, etc.)
lcd screen of more than 1.5
auto focus
accepts a standard SD memory card that I could easily buy off the net

digraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2006, 5:18 PM   #4

Since you have listed all Panasonics I have two suggestions. The FZ7 can be had for $264 delivered with no sales tax. Rethink (not necessarily change) your position regarding AA batteries. If you do some research you may decide that AA's can be advantageous but if you need four of them you add weight to the camera. The new rechargable's are smaller and lighter and buying a spare is not very expensive. AA's also have a disadvantage in cold weather.
inazsully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2006, 6:01 PM   #5

6x vs 10x optical really depends on the lesnes themselves. Depending on how wide a lens starts, two 10x lenses can be very different. ie, the Fuji S5200 goes from 38mm to 380mm, while the the S6000 goes from 28 to 300mm. The latter is actually a 10.7x instead of a 10x, yet has almost 25% less zoom because it has a lot wider of an angle to start with. The Panasonics you are looking at start at about 37mm and go to 222mm, which is an average wide angle for a compact, but a longer than normal telephoto. Whether you notice the difference between that and a longer zoom depends on what you are photographing. Also, a 10x lens at 300mm isn't a whole lot longer about 38%, but at 380, it is about 75% longer. So it varies. However, you'll have a much more difficult time finding a pocketable 10x. For what you list, the panasonic 6x is probably a good range, maybe a little more wide would be helpful for tourism and city shots, but it depends on your needs.

I would go with AAs if you travel a lot. Get a set or two of NiMH, and if they run out of charge before the day is done, some cheap AAs can give you a little more time. I have owned cameras with both propriatory and AAs, and I don't really have a bios either way, as long as the camera can last long on the set.
Carskick is offline   Reply With Quote