Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 18, 2006, 5:10 PM   #1

Hi All,

I've narrowed down my buying choice to these two cameras & noticed that on the "Best Cameras" page, the CoolPix 7900 is listed as one of the best in the 6-10 MP range. The P4 is not ... so I'm wondering if there is any reason to choose the slightly more expensive, newer P4, other than the VR technology?

The 7900 seems much more comfortable to hold to me, and the detail in close-ups/macros a little better in sample pics I've seen around the Web.
Is the VR that big a benefit? I don't intend to do much low-light shooting, but rather use this to take nature photos, flowers, landscapes, etc. I'm not into sports and don't have small kids to worry about catching on the run. Macros are my greatest interest.

If anyone can offer an opinion, I'd be very appreciative.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Joanie

Joanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 19, 2006, 3:36 PM   #2

Nobody has any thoughts? I am leaning toward the 7900 because it has an optical viewfinder, and I think a little better image quality, but if anyone can chime in here, I'd be SO grateful for your input.

TIA
Old Oct 19, 2006, 4:30 PM   #3

I think you should go for the 7900! It has a good review here on this site, and, it looks cool! :blah:

Since you've handled it and like the pictures and feel better, I say go for it!
En121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2006, 5:24 PM   #4

En,

Emotionally, I think I just might go for it! :-) I also think it looks cool. LOL

Now, I'm also looking at the Nikon CoolPix S10 ... and wondering if that 10X zoom would be even MORE fun to have. No pro reviews on it yet, but a couple of pos. user reports saying it improves greatly on the prior S4 with it's "quirks."

So, I may wait and see ... (not too many 7900's still availble though, so I hope I don't wait myself out of the best choice.)

Anyone else have some experience with the CoolPix'ers?
Old Oct 19, 2006, 9:06 PM   #5

Here's a user review from amazon: "I bought the S10 mainly because it reminded of my much loved Coolpix 990. The camera body is very light save for the lens which will tip the camera on its side when set facing forward. The body feels kinda hollow and cheap though it is metal (feels like plastic on the back). The LCD is great with nice brightness, actually too bright for my normal viewing pleasure. What annoys me at the moment is the menu system. It takes a few steps to choose between mode and custom scene settings, compared to my Canon Sd700IS which is very simple to switch modes and make selections. With some practice Im sure the menus will become second nature. I simply love the clarity and details I have been getting with this camera.
When set to Auto White Balance, it takes maybe a minute or two to calibrate which is not good when you need to whip out the camera and take some quick snaps indoors. Suggestion is to plan ahead; if you are going to be under any type of artificial lighting change the setting to fit the environment and youll be snapping great pics quickly. Vibration reduction works without a hitch although I havent tried running and taking pictures at the same time yet. The portrait modes are really cool and easy for a novice to use. There is an interesting slideshow mode which will allow you to do some nice Ken Burns effects (pan and zoom) to the music of your choice.
The thing that disappointed me was the lack of a full manual mode which I was really hoping for like my old 990. To compensate you need to study the various scene modes to get the desired results so experiment and read the manual.
A screen protector is a must as your right thumb has a tendancy to touch the LCD. Id go with a fellowes screen protector as you get more than one per pack unlike some of these other lame companies which only give you one per pack and charge the same price.

All in all, despite the body issue (plastic), you get excellent photo quality and 10x optical zoom in a small body. (Man-purse necessary to carry as it doesnt fit in pocket)

Update: Its soo light on the body side that to me it feels like the whole thing is plastic but its actually just the back where the lcd is and VR/Portrait buttons are. Thanks for the comments!"

That person seems to like the S10. I might suggest going to try. Then buy if you like it, and then if you don't like the images, be sure to get it at a place with a good return policy. :|

Cheers.

-En
Old Oct 20, 2006, 2:10 PM   #6

Good advice ... I wish we had a "real" camera store here. Only places to try and buy are chain stores, which are staffed by people who haven't a clue about the products in their department. I went to Best Buy and CompUsa, NO service or knowledge at either place. And, they don't have any of the latest models in yet.

I should just go with my best guess and then live with it! :lol:
Old Oct 20, 2006, 4:41 PM   #7

Here's a link to the S10 on maybe the most respected store of photography on the net. ( And probably America.) B&H!

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

Seems like a pretty good price as well!
Old Oct 22, 2006, 6:40 AM   #8

My experience. I have used the F100 with pro glass for several years and have always been very pleased but I wanted a small camera to have with me all the time. I purchased the 7900 and shoot several pics using the f100with the28-70 AFS. I then shot the same pics with the 7900. The photos were not as sharp but acceptable for a point and shoot. I rationalized by telling myself that how can I possibly expect the same image quality from a $300 point and shoot : the 28-70 AFS lens alone cost $1500.

Well I eventually sold the 7900 but still wanted a small camera. I studied reviews and ratings and finally decided to try the Leica c lux 1. I went back to the same location, same time of day with the same weather conditions and shot several pics with the Leica. The photos were AMAZING!!!. I am not running down the 7900 but the results tell the story. My wife even noticed the difference.

Good Luck
photokip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2006, 3:28 PM   #9

Thanks, photokip, for that info about the 7900. I have seen stunning results from it posted on various sites, and mediocre to poor on others. So, I wonder if there might be a quality control issue there??

I have been tempted by the Leica, too. It comes bundled with PS Elements 4, right? That might make it worth the extra $$, as I'm still working with PSE v 2.0.

Or, I guess the equivalent Panasonic (FX01, I think) might also be a good choice.

En, I'm still hoping for a review on the S-10 ... would be so happy if the pro's deem it a 'goodie."
Old Oct 22, 2006, 5:00 PM   #10

I looked at the Panasonic as well but decided on Leica. I always wanted to try the red dot. I'm glad I did..
photokip is offline   Reply With Quote