Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 18, 2006, 6:04 PM   #1

She's 15 years old and wants her first digital camera. I don't want to spend a lot. I just bought the Canan A620 on your recommendations for myself, but that's more than I'm willing to spend on her. Love the camera so am coming to you again for another suggestion.

Want something that's point & shoot with good picture quality all under $100 or $150. Would definitely want to keep it on the cheaper side. Want you to think child & first camera.

Your thoughts????

tia,

Renee
srd2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 18, 2006, 6:52 PM   #2

Canon A430, mentioned many times in other threads. Great value for quality.
blindsight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2006, 7:13 PM   #3

yes the canon is great, but you can look at the kodak easy share because i just got one for pocket camera and it does really beautiful colorful photos.
Marimar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2006, 7:28 AM   #4

It depends on which Kodak though. The lower C-series suck compared to others in the price range. From selling tons of cameras to young girls they want small, cute, easy to use, and fast. I would recommend the Kodak V603, any Canon elph, and Sony W30 or W70.
KALEL33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2006, 10:34 AM   #5

Sorry KALEL33: the Kodak V and Sonys you suggested are > the $150 mark.
blindsight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2006, 10:53 AM   #6

The Canon A430 would definitely work, but I'd look at the Nikon L3 and L4. They all take SD cards and AA batteries, so that will save you money.

Canon A430
$145 delivered at ZipZoomFly.com
4.0 MP
1.8" screen
1.6" thick

Nikon L3
$129 delivered at BeachCamera.com & BuyDig.com
5.1 MP
2.0 " screen
1.0" thick

Nikon L4
$114 delivered at PriceGrabber.com storefronts
4.0 MP
2.0" screen
1.4" thick

Nikon L6
$169 delivered at BeachCamera.com & BuyDig.com
6.0 MP
2.5" screen
1.0" thick

Fuji A400
$106 delivered at BeachCamera.com
4.0 MP
1.8" screen
1.1" thick

The Canon has a tiny 1/3" CCD, so it'll probably be the worst in low light, but it also has the fastest shooting speed and a 4X zoom (all the others are 3X). I'd probably go with the Nikon L3 because it's pocket-sized and I think it looks the best. It also has 23MB of internal memory, and Best Buy carries it for $149 if you don't want to order it.

The Kodak C533 is good, but compared to the L3, the Kodak is thicker, has a smaller screen, and costs more.

The Fuji A400 is worth checking out, but compared to the L3, the A400 is a little bigger, has a little smaller screen, it's a little uglier, and the controls are more awkward (I guess I just don't like the directional buttons that Fuji used to use). Still, you might like it, and the Fuji might be the best of all of them indoors without a flash because it's ISO 400 and has the "Super CCD."

I spent a long time playing with the Nikon L3 in Best Buy yesterday, and I was pretty impressed. I ended up going with a much more expensive camera, but if I was looking for a < $150 camera it would be the L3.

I started looking at pocket cameras because I found myself taking a lot of pictures with my phone, and that seemed silly to me when a real camera would be so much better. I also wanted something with a decent screen because I would actually be looking at the pictures in a camera a lot, not actually printing them. I also think you should consider the performance of the cameras without the flash, because when you're taking a lot of random pictures you don't want the flash going off that often. I think most of this would be the same things a 15 year old girl would be looking for.

If you can bring yourself to spend a little more, the Nikon L6 has much better screen than the others and does better in low light (ISO 800) and without the flash. Of course, you can always spend a little more and get something better.

Tostada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2006, 11:14 AM   #7

And don't forget memory. A 512MB SD card (which everything except the Fuji takes) is going to be about $14 delivered, but a 512MB xD card is going to be about $29 delivered. So that really cuts into the cost savings of the Fuji.

Tostada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2006, 1:17 PM   #8

A few more to throw in the mix:

Panasonic LS2
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_reviews/ls2.html

Olympus FE-115
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_...fe115_pg5.html

Kodak C533
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_reviews/c533.html

Sony W30
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_...s/w30_pg5.html

I'd probably go for the LS2, $151 at Beach camera, with the W30 as a second choice.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2006, 6:41 PM   #9

Well thanks for all the input. You gave me a lot of good choices to consider. This is a Christmas gift so I have a little time to look over my options.

Thanks again!

Renee

srd2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2006, 9:16 PM   #10

Sorry...didnt see the price. I like the A430 from canon at that price range. It has the Digic II processor (takes very pics fast), takes good shots, and has excellent battery life.
KALEL33 is offline   Reply With Quote