Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 18, 2006, 10:51 PM   #1

I guess the subject line says it all. Both cameras have good reviews and both seem to have top quality lenses. Both are 12x zoom and have IS. Both feel good in my hands and both look good. Price seems to be pretty close. Are the Battery differences a big deal? Your opinions will be helpful.
inazsully is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 19, 2006, 4:44 PM   #2

I had the FZ7 and just returned it and took a 10% hit on restocking. I really liked the features it had the lens was nice battery life was good but picture quality was not so good.

I found it very hard to get good shots inside the house with the flash. I found that using the auto white ballance was a real issue. It did better when I used manual white ballance.

My biggest problem with the camera was noise in the picture. I would lock the ISO at 80 or 100 and try all types of settings for shutter speeds and apature but the majority of my pictures turned out bad. I got a few to look pretty good in photoshop but I realy dont want to have to do that to all of my pictures.

So, I just took the hit and sent it back. Now looking for another camera. I am learning that these DSLR like cameras still use the smaller chip to capute the picture and that seems to cause a lot of the problem.

I'm not sure about your other choice. Just thought I'd relay my experience with the FZ7. In one word, noisy. Read the posts on here. there seems to be a lot of good info.

Mike
mikez104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2006, 6:12 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply Mike. I've been reading reviews as well as posts for the past month and almost 100% recommend the FZ7. Even Steves review was quite good. I wonder if perhaps you got a bad FZ7. I hope some others can comment on this issue.
inazsully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2006, 6:40 PM   #4

I'm not sure what the issue was whith that thing but the pictures were not good. I have a Pentax Optis 4Si and a Nikon coolpix 3700. And they made that thing look bad. Perhaps there was something wrong with it. I chose it because of the reviews it got. I looked into other "DSLR like" cameras and decided not to go that route. I ordered a EOS 350D today. Can't wait until it gets here. Good luck.
mikez104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2006, 9:32 PM   #5

How about the Sony H2? ISO 400 looks good - take a look at dpreview:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonyh2/
shutterbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2006, 5:14 PM   #6

You seam to be looking in the same ball park as I am: $295+/-$25

What made you reject the Canon S3 IS - $320 at dell.com?
MBryga is offline   Reply With Quote