Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 20, 2006, 2:56 PM   #11

Quote:

Are you buying a camera for "general purpose use" that is acceptable for night photography, or buying one specifically and only for night photography? City skylines, or moonlit landscapes?

I would prefer the camera to be as good for night-long exposure photography as possible. Inother words, I would try to place my main priority on this area.

Quote:

You premise "Per pixel sharp night shot" just sounds crazy, maybe you should link to an example that is unsatisfactory and one that looks good so we can figure out what problem(s) you perceive in night shots.

I would like my long exposure shots to have the kind of quality as the 30 second exposure shot below.(I would be satisfied enough!)

ISO 200, 30 sec, F6.3

Beware, the above long exposure shot was captured by verylarge2.7 million sensor photo detectors!! :-)

BenjaminXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2006, 8:21 AM   #12

Any of those cameras will do. What you need is a tripod. You say you have two. If they are not doing it for you then they are probably too flimsy. Shorten the legs and hang a weight off of them. If you still can't get sharp long-exposures then buy a better pod.
A plasma tv still has considerably lower resolution than all of those cameras by the way.
jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2006, 9:14 AM   #13

Quote:

Any of those cameras will do. What you need is a tripod. You say you have two. If they are not doing it for you then they are probably too flimsy. Shorten the legs and hang a weight off of them. If you still can't get sharp long-exposures then buy a better pod.
A plasma tv still has considerably lower resolution than all of those cameras by the way.

I have two quality tripods with one that ishigher inquality; I have no problems withthem at all.

I mentioned the Plasma T.V. for fun only (Although it's real). :-)In reality, I would be viewing my images at 100% on the computer's monitor, and I will be cropping as well.

I will surely print my images later on, and I might be printing 100% crops...

BTW, do you thinkthat theFujifilm Finepix S9100, Fujifilm FinePix S6500fd, & the Sony DSC-R1 will be a good choice for long exposure night photography?

Old Oct 21, 2006, 12:00 PM   #14

OK guys, never mind already.

I have decided to go for the Samsung GX10 dSLR! I will be getting it with the kit lens, and it should all cost around a total of U.S. $1000or below! I already have a 512 MB SD card, so that is not a problem to the cost.

Ofcouse, if all goes well. :-) (I believe that there are other cameras out there; that are alsovery good for [my] consideration as well)

BTW, I also want the camera to capture very good quality daytime shots. (Good per-pixel quality, crispness, good definition, no C.A., no purple fringing, & detailed without JPEG artifacts etc...) It might be impossible for all my criteria to be perfect in this case, but I would at leastlike it all to be as close as possible.

I guess that I should read a detailed review of the Samsung GX-10; if I should consider it. (It is a great camera)

Regards.
Old Oct 21, 2006, 3:05 PM   #15

For the criteria mentioned you should consider an XTi.

For long exposures, I think dust can become an issue if you really want to look at 100% crops. Consider that most of these test shots are taken on newer cameras.

For the combination of dust reduction, low noise, not much hot pixel problem, and good jpeg processing, you should probably consider the XTi for about $720 (Beach - $899 w/ kit lens).

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote