Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 19, 2006, 3:47 PM   #1

Okay, so i'm a beginer. I know a bit about mega pixels.. thats about it.

Let me tell you want I want my camera to do and how much I'm willing to spend.

I'm not willing to spend more than 1000 dollars. anywhere between 300 -600 would be great 800 dollars would have to be something special.

this is what I want.

I'm looking to take nice pictures, Night and Day. Flash. GOod quality pictures. I'm also looking to film short movies. Just 5 mins, maybe 10.. the more the better I suppose. I'm just not planing to shoot full 1 hour movies or anything. Not yet at least. The zoom.. I want it to zoom well. Maybe from one end of a football field to the other. Horizontially at least. Remember. nice pictures. Image stablizer too. Auto focus would be the shiznit.

Heres the catch.. I'd LOVE for it to be a camera where I can take the lens off and replace it with a better one. I like photography but I've never owned a good camera. I want this camera to last forever. A family charm type of thing.

Am i looking for the holy grail? can you guys help me?

I was looking at the Sanyo HD1A ..looks nice. Pricey. but.. how are the pictures on 5MP? is it good enough for you to say "damn that looks awesome" or is it a C average type of pic?

I'm sorry to frustrate some of you. Your all probably saying "heres another one."

ANY ADVICE WILL BE TAKEN!

thanks!

Kohkane is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 19, 2006, 4:27 PM   #2

Ok, you want a digital SLR and want to shoot across the football field with an image stabilizer. The SLR wont be the money breaker.....It'll be the long lens with USM and IS that will take your budget almost by itself. You can keep it in the range of under $1000 but you'll have to lose the zoom.
KALEL33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2006, 5:43 PM   #3

Yes Yes. I'm sorry. The lens is for later. Once I get some experience I'll get the lens. Can an SLR take videos too?

Old Oct 19, 2006, 9:21 PM   #4

No, but you wont be able to change the lens on any other cameras. You could go with a superzoom though. It will have the range and if you get the S3IS it has the Image stabalization your looking for and the best video of P&S cameras. The video is also only limited by the size of your memory card. There will be some downsides, just as with any camera though. The SLRs do the best photo, but cost the most, accessories and lens can break the bank, very large to carry around, and has no video. You have to decide what the priorities are and figure out which would be best.
Old Oct 19, 2006, 9:28 PM   #5

Thanks for helping!

Let me bother you again.

So the SLR wouldnt be good for me. I want something that can also take decent video once and a while. The Pictures wont have to so amazing then. I want the best of both worlds.. what do you recommend?

Should I consider just thesetwo?

Sony Cybershot H5and the

Canon Powershot S3 IS

WHICH ONE IS BETTER UNDER OPINON?

Old Oct 20, 2006, 12:12 AM   #6

Yes you probably want either the H5 or S3. Which one is just too close to call. Pretty much every reviewer puts them neck and neck; some like one or the other but it's pretty much personal preference. For example, some like the S3's swivel screen, others like the H5's larger screen.

They both do pretty much the same things equally well, so the best thing to do is try them both and decide which you like best. Whichever one feels best in your hand and you like the controls for you will probably use more.

Only caveat--if you plan on shooting football on that football field, you should know that digicams aren't particularly good at two things; action sports and indoor light (or "low light") without flash. So look for some sample photos for the camera you are considering and the type of photos you want to take if you're not sure you will be satisfied with the quality.

Here's a site that you can search for photos by camera model:
http://www.pbase.com/cameras

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2006, 12:12 AM   #7

They both take excellent pics, but the purple fringin is more evident than on the S3IS, is about half as fast in burst mode, memory stick is more expensive, and is bigger than the S3IS. On the positive side, the screen is much bigger than the Canon's, but you just have to decide if the bigger screen is more important than previously mentioned qualities and that you would not like to have the versatility of the swivel screen on the Canon. This is going to be mostly preference. Either camera will do well for you, just go and seen them in person and find out which you like better. Many people are bias towards one brand or another here. There are the Fuji guys, Canon guys, etc. I'm lean more towards the Canon's unless there's a better camera for a certain need.
Old Oct 20, 2006, 12:16 PM   #8

okay man, you've been a great help. let me just ask one last thing..

I was looking at the Sanyo HD1A and I was liking it. the price was a bit high but it was nice.

Is the difference in picture quality alot different between the Sanyo and say the Canon or Sony we mentioned above?

Does the Sanyo HD1A take good pictures too or is the quality of pictures visibly better in the Canon and Sony?