Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 22, 2006, 5:56 AM   #1

Im thinking of selling my Fujifilm S5600 with accessories etc, to buy a Fujifilm S9500 just wandering are the 9500 classed as a dslr or not. I want the Canon 30D but its a bit out of my price range, just wandering is it worth upgrading to the 9500 or not.

thanks
deen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 22, 2006, 2:05 PM   #2

I don't know if it's really an upgrade. It still will be a compact camera, while what you wish for is a DSLR..... My advice: Keep the 5600 and keep on saving for what you want. If you don't have the time to save more money, you can also take a look at the fuji S9600.

Rudo
Rudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2006, 5:29 PM   #3

yea, i was looking at some of the sample pictures they have up on the fujifilm homepage and wasnt impressed by the picture quality, the s5600 has sharper images than the 9500 i thought. i noticed it does have Super CCD HR unlike the s5600 which is maybe why it isnt as sharp as image
Old Oct 22, 2006, 5:56 PM   #4

Just as an aside - historically SLR stands for Single-Lens Reflex. It basically means that you view and focus through the same lens that is used to take the picture, and the image in the viewfinder is bounced off a mirror (the reflex part). So a fixed lens camera that uses an EVF/LCD (and no mirror)for viewfinding doesn't have the reflex part, so can't be a true SLR. I know, that only answers your question as to whether the S9500 is a dSLR (it isn't) and doesn't address the real issue, which is whether the S9500 is better than what you have.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2006, 2:19 PM   #5

after looking at some of the sample photos of the two id say i should stick with what ive got id still say the s5600 has better picture quality than the s9600 what do you guys think?

s9500 sample:
http://www.fujifilm.co.uk/digital/ca...es/large/5.jpg

s5600 sample:
http://www.acris.pl/zdjecia/zdj_fuji_s5600.jpg
Old Oct 23, 2006, 6:40 PM   #6

I don't think you're making a fair comparisment here. The photo of the 9500 is taken inside with not to much light. And the photo of the 5600 is taken outside on beautifukl sunny day. If the camera's would trade places, you might think the other way around (based on those two pictures)

But hey, like I said before, I think you should save some more money untill you have enough for the 30D.....

Rudo
Rudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2006, 7:55 PM   #7

I agree with Rudo, you're comparing apples with orange if you compare those two pictures. I have the S5200 (=S5600) and like it. For the money, it's a great camera. I think maybe its shutter lag is shorter, too. However, the S9500 is perhaps a better camera if you are willing to play with it and learn its intricacies.

I suggest 2 different courses:

1. Get either the S6000fd/6500fd OR the S9100. Both are new. The former has superior lowlight performance. The latter is supposed to be slightly zippier than the S9000.

2. Get a Canon XTi. It's not built as sturdily as the 30D, but its performance approaches it in some ways and it has an extra 2 megapixels. It's cheaper, too.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote