Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 22, 2006, 10:14 AM   #1

I am looking for a website that will allow one to search by battery type. I have a lot invested in rechargeable AA's and don't want to start over. I also like the ability to purchase batteries anywhere should my rechargeables die.Therefore, I am looking for a camera that will take AA's or the CR-V3 (which can still use AA's).My ultimate goal is to find the best smallest camera that takes AA's. I would like it to be at least a 3x optical* (but higher is better). Small is the second consideration after battery type. I see that one has the ability to search here at Steves-Digicams for various features except battery type.Any help is appreciated.*
hdtvluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 22, 2006, 1:29 PM   #2

There's a pretty good search feature here (including battery type):

http://dcresource.com/reviews/cameraList.php

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2006, 7:04 PM   #3

Thanks for the website.*Does anyone have another site?
Old Oct 22, 2006, 7:13 PM   #4
Administrator

If you select any category from our review lists, you'll see battery type in the tables:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/hardware_reviews.html

For example, here is a list of the 6-7MP models that Steve's reviewed:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/cameras_dig6.html

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2006, 7:01 AM   #5

Thanks. I was hoping to be able to sort on battery type and reduce the list instead of scanning the battery column. However, if this is what is necessary then I guess I don't have a choice.Thanks again.
Old Oct 23, 2006, 9:41 AM   #6
Administrator

Sorry... the lists are not sorted.

You could always copy them to a spreadsheet and sort yourself if this is a big priority, getting rid of older models that you don't want to consider at the same time (you'll see a review date column in the lists).

Personally, I prefer Proprietary Batteries, even though I've got AAs and chargers. I've owned a variety of digital cameras using both types.

I hate fumbling with multiple batteries to change them, worrying about trying to see the tiny +- marks in a camera's battery compartment to get the polarity right when I'm in a hurry. With most proprietary designs, the battery will only fit one way, and you don't have to worry about needing multiple batteries.

Lithium Ion batteries also hold their charge longer when a camera goes unused, whereas I usually need to give my AAs a fresh charge if they've been sitting too long.

Yes, the proprietary batteries are a bit more expensive. But, there are so many third party alternatives around, it's really not a big difference anymore if you go that route. Most newer cameras are more efficiently designed, too (allowng a lot of photos on a single charge compared to what you used to get using an older digicam).

Heck, I bought two spare 3rd party generic Lithium Ion batteries for a little pocket camera I own for under $20.00 delivered a while back, and third party Lithium Ion batteries are also available for many popular cameras models at major electronics stores like Circuit City and Best Buy now.

But, even though I prefer Proprietary Batteries to AAs now, I wouldn't let that influence my camera decision very much. Ditto for Memory Type.

I prefer CompactFlash (since I have more cards in that media type, followed by Secure Digital and Memory Stick). But, memory cards are coming down in price all the time, so it's not a big percentage of a total investment to switch types if another camera meets my needs better. Ergonomics, AF Speed/Reliability, Cycle Time between photos, lens design, image quality, etc., are far more important to me versus what kind of batteries or memory cards a camera takes.

One other comment... I noticed the part about "smallest camera that takes AAs"....
As a general rule, if a camera uses only two AA batteries (like some of the smaller models), your flash recycle times will be longer. So, keep that in mind when camera shopping if you plan on using one indoors much. Steve usually comments on things like recycle times in the Review Conclusion section for models reviewed here.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote