Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 25, 2006, 2:00 AM   #11

Quote:

Canon 20D. Look around you should be able to buy this camera for around $1,000.00
That would not be a practical choice at allforanyone with a $1000 budget.If the Canon EOS 20D cost about $950-$1000 today, how about factoring in a good qualitylens???

Think again.
BenjaminXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2006, 7:50 AM   #12

Actually, the Rebel XT looks like a pretty good buy with the body available for under $600, or with the kit lens for under $700. You could add a Sigma 70-300 f4-5.6 APO, and a Canon 50mm f1.8 prime, and still be under $1000. That would be a nice set to start with. If you got serious about sports shooting, you could always add a brighter telephoto in the future.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2006, 8:39 AM   #13

Rebel XT ... its a good and a bad camera.

Try it before you actually decide.

Cheers,
--
Gaggu
gaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2006, 9:42 AM   #14

gaggu wrote:
Quote:
Rebel XT ... its a good and a bad camera.

Try it before you actually decide.

Cheers,
--
Gaggu
I'd say that comment and that excellent advice applies to every single camera on the market. There are pros and cons to every one - not the least of which is the ergonomics. And what one person sees as a bonus ergonomically another sees as a negative.

Great point!
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2006, 12:06 PM   #15

Lets see how much damage I can do with just $1000.

I canget the superiorhigh ISO performing D70s with the 18 - 70 mm Nikkor for just U.S. $899. I just read through the MTF chartsof the Nikkor 18-70mm and compared it to themore expensive lenses; I was impressed by the results that the 18 - 70coulddeliver. Clearly, that high quality Nikkor 18-70 mm zoom is very value for the money. The lensalsomanaged to win several more expensive lenses in the MTF comparisons; it is a very capable lens with silent wave motor focusing anda whether sealed mount.

or

Next, I can also get the solid Nikon D50 with the superior Tamron 17 - 50 mm F/2.8 zoom. The Tamron 17 -50 mm has MTF(s) so sharp thatthey completely blew me off. The lens doesn't have a build in focusing motor & weather sealed mountthough being more expensive than the Nikkor 18 - 70 mm. Instead, it's A.F. operates bya slotted screw drive operated by the camera. (Results are slower & noisier) But get it for the remarkable sharpness and constant F/2.8 aperture.

or

Thirdly, I can get the compact Canon EOS 350D with the Sigma 17 - 70 mm macro zoom. The Sigma 17 - 70 mm macro zoom is a good lens, and it will go well with the EOS 350D's sharp 8 mega pixelCMOS sensor. However, the Len's A.F.is operated by a conventional micro motor; that is more noisy andslightly slowerthan USM, HSM, or SWM enabled lenses. Nevertheless, the lens have F/2.8 at it's wide end, macro range, and a good 17 - 70 mm range altogether. (All in all, a very value package)

__________________________________________________ __________________

With the Nikon D50 and $1000 budget, you can also pick one of those great Sigma ultra wide angle lenses, such as the Sigma AF 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX HSM DC, Sigma AF 12-24mm f/4.5-5.6 EX HSM, or the Sigma AF 15-30mm f/3.5-4.5 EX DG. Those super wide angle Sigma lenses have terrific build quality.

Old Oct 25, 2006, 2:39 PM   #16

I forgot to mention that the Nikkor 18 -70 mm zoom features full time manual focus overwrite; you can overwrite it's A.F. as you operate the manual focus ring in A.F. mode. Both the Sigma 17 - 70 mm macroand the Tamron 18 - 50 mm F/2.8 does not feature thefull time manual focusing overwrite function [You need to switch to theM.F. mode]. The focus ring of both the Tamron & Sigma also rotates during auto focusing. (I am notvery sure about the Tamron though...)

But thoseissues can be overlooked if you feel that they are small problems to you.
Old Oct 25, 2006, 3:30 PM   #17

Uhhh ... I am now trying to fight the instinctive temptation
to mention those lovely Zuikos .... :?

But I'll try to not do it ... let v12 look around and find out
what suits him the best.

Cheers,
--
Gaggu
gaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2006, 5:12 PM   #18
Administrator

gaggu wrote:
Quote:
Uhhh ... I am now trying to fight the instinctive temptation
to mention those lovely Zuikos .... :?
I can't afford the one that I'd want if I were shooting with an Oly. :-)

Zuiko 35-100mm f/2.0 at B&H

I'd want an f/2 zoom, since you have higher noise levels with Olympus DSLR models versus most competing models, so the extra stop would help to "even things out". They're the only manufacturer that has an f/2.0 zoom available for a DSLR (but, given the higher noise levels, it would be a requirement for me to have an f/2 zoom available if I ever switched to Olympus).

Unfortunately, for the type of shooting I usually do, it would be a bit too long at times (since you'd have the same angle of view using one on an Olympus DSLR that you'd have using a 70-200mm lens on a 35mm camera, thanks to the smaller sensors in Olympus models).

But, it would probably be a super lens for many conditions.

When light is good enough to use a zoom, I sometimes go to my Tamron SP 35-105mm f/2.8, which has a more usable focal range for the type of shooting I do (since when used on a DSLR with an APS-C size sensor, it works out to the same angle of view you'd have using a 52-157mm lens on a 35mm camera). You can find these at bargain prices on the used market, and it tests much sharper compared to the newer Tamron 28-105mm f/2.8 on MTF charts (it's as sharp wide open at f/2.8 as the newer Tamron 28-105mm f/2.8 is at f/4).

Sure, the Zuiko is a much higher quality lens. But, it's larger, heavier, costs dramatically more, and you'd need the extra stop compared to an f/2.8 zoom to make up for the higher noise levels you have with an Oly DSLR compared to some of the competing models using larger APS-C size sensors.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2006, 9:53 PM   #19

Quote:
I'd want an f/2 zoom, since you have higher noise levels with Olympus DSLR models versus most competing models, so the extra stop would help to "even things out".
It depends what you mean by most competing models. I would agree that the Canon models in that price range are better at ISO 1600. But in all of the review test shots I've seen, the E-500 is about as good at ISO 1600 as the D50, D70s, or K100D. Though I see people say the D50 is good (none of these look that good to me at that point).

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2006, 11:21 PM   #20
v12

wow, the info you guys are providing me is excellent!

I will have a look at the D50 and the Rebel Xt this weekend and also search for lenses. if I can get the camera and a few lenses for under $1k I will be extremely happy. Like some of you have stated, having versatile lenses is key

Any thoughts on what the XTI has over the XT and its available lenses?

Also wanted to ask does the D50 have a mode where I can shoot several pics in a fast sequence?

thanks

v12 is offline   Reply With Quote