Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 23, 2006, 3:19 AM   #1
v12

Greetings friends

being someone who has no real technical knowledge I need help in deciding my camera!

I am ready to buy something serious but not go overboard. I had a few Kodak DX's that were gret but as I progressed and tried to get fancy shots it just didnt cut it.

My shooting is basically family shots, and sport events. I would love to be able to shoot airplanes, race cars and even spend some time shooting some landscapes in the mountains. With this said I realize this a broad spectrum so I am confused as to what to get.

I dont mind buying the camera now and getting lenses as I progress but what would be ideal for me to cover all the bases?

I saw some shots from a buddies Canon high end dslr and it took my breathe away, he shot model airplanes in flight and the detail that came out blew me away compared to what im used to shooting with my little Kodak so now after some time I think im ready for this

Any suggestions and links to purchase are appreciated!

matt
v12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 23, 2006, 10:59 AM   #2

v12 wrote:
Quote:
My shooting is basically family shots, and sport events. I would love to be able to shoot airplanes, race cars and even spend some time shooting some landscapes in the mountains.
Quote:
I saw some shots from a buddies Canon high end dslr and it took my breathe away, he shot model airplanes in flight and the detail that came out blew me away compared to what im used to shooting with my little Kodak so now after some time I think im ready for this

Any suggestions and links to purchase are appreciated!

matt
Matt,

For your family shots and landscape shots any of the DSLRs on the market are going to work great - even with the kit lenses. You'll eventually want to invest in a tripod for the landscape shots but you don't absolutely need one out of the gate and with your $1000 limit I would wait.

Sports is a little tougher - it is more demanding of the body and of the lens. So, you'll likely have to wait until you can spend more $$$ to get lenses for sports shooting. For model airplanes and race cars you're going to want a 300mm - 400mm lens and that can get expensive. My advice, given that you want to shoot sports is to stay in the Nikon or Canon camp. About 99% of pro sports shooters are using one or the other. These manufacturers put more R&D dollars into features beneficial to sports shooters and you'll have the largest array of lenses at your fingertips that are suitable for sports.

I would recommend you look at the Canon 400D, 350D and the Nikon D80 and D50 - these cameras fit into your budget but just barely. Any of these 4 cameras will meet your stated needs. The Nikon D80 has the richest feature set but it's also the most pricy. I strongly encourage you to go to a store and handle the cameras (or any other models you are considering) - ergonomics is hugely important in a DSLR. And, again, other manufacturers cameras will meet your initial shooting needs I just feel that Canon and Nikon offer the best ability to grow as a sports shooter (but then I'm biased because I'm a sports shooter).

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2006, 11:59 AM   #3

For sports photography, high ISO quality is also a very important aspect. (As professional photographersalways say) I bet youdon't want tosee your high ISO shots very noisy with detail smudged out etc...because it is not surprising that for common sports photography, you will want to use a higher ISO to freeze actions or to even get in a clear shot in the first place; when in dimmer lighting conditions. (High ISO quality is important)

Digital SLR cameras with good ISO performance like the above are few and far between. However, the onesthat I canreally say "good"are the Nikon D70s, Nikon D50, Canon EOS 20D/30D, and the Canon EOS 350D. Those stated cameras have great "high" ISO quality (performance).

BTW, those cameras (above)with thebetter image quality at the higher ISOs will also be useful for action shots in general, indoor shots under dim lightings, and (or) concert shots where you want to shoot your favorite drummer or lead singer in the challenging lightings...etc.

Enjoy.

BenjaminXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2006, 5:37 PM   #4
v12

thanks for the info gents, its really appreciated.

I have decided to bump by budget a little higher so I can get it and be happy for a while without haveing and thoughts afterwards of if I did the right thing by skimpping on a few bucks.

I know the Canon vs. Nikon debate is as old as Chevy vs Ford but I still want to hear opinions on both or which do YOU think is better. Id like one that has alot of lenses available for it for a fair price.

I have written down all the models you mentioned and will look inot them. Is the Rebel XT something I should look at as well?

v12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2006, 5:54 PM   #5

Just my opinion (and this has been discussed many times), I'd buy a less expensive body and put my money into buying the best lenses you possibly can, regardless of whether you go Canon or Nikon.You can use those lenses for a very long time (on the body when your first one finally dies), and a better lens makes for a more pleasing picture, all other things being equal.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2006, 6:01 PM   #6

I agree with mtngal.

Get the least expensive body and get the best lense you
can afford in you budget.

Nikon D50 is the least expensive right now ... and has the
best ISO performance in 6 - 8 MP segment.

Try them out before you buy.

Cheers,
--
Gaggu
gaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2006, 8:51 AM   #7

I'd say consider the D80 for about $920.

Then try to get the kit lenses from the D50. Maybe even look on ebay. 18-55 f3.5-5.6 and 55-200 f4.0-5.6. I think you can find these used fairly easily, as some wll sell the 18-55 in order to get the 18-70.
Buy the 50mm f1.8 for under $100.

Eventually you are likely going to want to add a lens like this 70-200 f2.8 HSM:
http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showp...uct/352/cat/31

Or as others have suggested, just go with the D50 2 lens kit and have more to spend on lenses now. But for just about $100 more you could make that the D70s instead of the D50.

You could probably get the D70s, the D50 kit lenses, and the 50mm f1.8 for about $1000 total right now. That would be a good place to start.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2006, 8:56 AM   #8

I agree that it would be a wiser thing to invest in good glass. The Nikon D50 is such a great camera, and it cost $500+; you can already get a superb lens for it!

Your image quality will anytime be better than a 900+ dSLR with lower glass.
BenjaminXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2006, 6:24 PM   #9

If you want to shoot landscapes in addition to airplanes you will need major zoom range. A DSLR system with multiple lenses gives you the best flexibility. Canon and Nikon are safe choices as they have a lot of lens offerings.
JWalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2006, 11:38 PM   #10

Canon 20D. Look around you should be able to buy this camera for around $1,000.00
Dodgeboy is offline   Reply With Quote