Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 23, 2006, 7:07 PM   #1

I cannot decide which one of these cameras would be better. This will be my first digcam. I have looked at them compared side by side but I do not understand what the differences mean. I will mostly use the camera for everyday occurances. I really like pictures so I will take a lot of them at different distances. When I see something cool I will take the pivture. I also play and watch a lot of sports so I wouldlike the camera to be able to take decent(not perfect)pictures of movment. If you have any suggestions of which one you would buy please reply. If you have suggestions of another camera you think would work better that is fine also.
bingdone158 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 26, 2006, 2:13 PM   #2

Could someone please reply to my question? I plan to buy a camera this weekend but I still do not know which categories matter the most. I have talked with some of my friends who know cameras well so I am not completely clueless but I would like to hear from some other people who have different experiences than them. I also found a site that contained complaints about the LCD screen breaking on the sd500-sd700. Has anyone experienced this or have any input about if this is true? Please reply if you have any thoughts about sd700-sd900 and how one might be better or worse. Any feedback would be helpful. Thank you.
bingdone158 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2006, 12:21 PM   #3

[align=left]Hello, thanks for your question, and sorry no one has yet to respond. I really hope someone answersbecause I would like to know too! I asked the same question on another camera message board and also have yet to receive any responses.[/align]

[align=left]Good luck shopping this weekend; I too would like to decide soon so thatI canget one or the other by the holidays. Because I live in the boonies, I often buy online. In the past I've taken photos (of same things) with my current cameras and then the one I hope to keep and then I compare. Since it's ordered online, I can always exchange for another model and try the tests again to help me decide. I know this won't help your shopping trip, buthope your like your purchase~[/align]

[align=left]Happy photos![/align]

[align=left]vcrlady[/align]
vcrlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2006, 12:40 PM   #4

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/ca...ew/index.shtml

Hi, I'm back (vcrlady). Checked on the message board and found that someone had also asked this question before and someone posted this link (comparing the two). I think I may save up and try for the 800 first - I like the wider lense and the face dectection mechanism. Hope this helps! Vcrlady
vcrlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2006, 12:56 PM   #5

If in the past you have had trouble backing up to get everybody in or get the whole building in the shot, you need a wider angle. Get the SD800.

If you haveused a zoom camerain the past and you felt you could not zoom in enough on distant subjects, get the SD700.

If you have not had frequent run ins with the above difficulties, get the SD600. That camera is a bit smaller than the above twoand costs less while having the same megapixels.

ajaynejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2006, 3:24 PM   #6

The Canon PowerShot SD800 IS have a 7.1 million pixels CCD.

The Canon PowerShot SD700 IS have a6.2 million pixels CCD.

The Canon PowerShot SD800 IS have ISO 80 ,100, 200, 400, 800, 1600.

The Canon PowerShot SD700 IS have ISO 80 ,100, 200, 400, 800.

The Canon PowerShot SD800 IS have a 28 mm wide angle lens.

The Canon PowerShot SD700 IS have a normal 35 mm lens.

The Canon PowerShot SD800 IS have a 105 mm (3.8 x) optical zoom lens. *

The Canon PowerShot SD700 IS have a 140 mm (4 x) optical zoom lens.

The Canon PowerShot SD800 IS have Auto-Focus AiAF TTL 9-point (with face detection)

The Canon PowerShot SD700 IS have Auto-Focus AiAF TTL 9-point/ center.

The Canon PowerShot SD800 IS have a macro focus range of 3 CM. *

The Canon PowerShot SD700 IS have a macro focus range of 2 CM.

The Canon PowerShot SD800 IS have a lens aperture range of F2.8 - F5.8. *

The Canon PowerShot SD700 IS have a lens aperture range of F2.8 - F5.5.

The Canon PowerShot SD800 IS have a flash guide number of 4.0 m (13.1 ft).

The Canon PowerShot SD700 IS have a flash guide number of 3.5 m (11.4 ft).

The Canon PowerShot SD800 IS have a Continuous Driveof1.7 fps, unlimited. *

The Canon PowerShot SD700 IS have a Continuous Driveof2.1 fps, unlimited.

The Canon PowerShot SD800 IS have movie clips of 640 x 480at 30/15 fps, 320 x 240at 60/30/15 fps, 160 x 120at 15 fps.

The Canon PowerShot SD700 IS have movie clips of 640 x 480at 30/15 fps, 320 x 240at 60/30/15 fps.

The Canon PowerShot SD800 IS have a 2.5" 207,000 pixels TFT LCD.

The Canon PowerShot SD700 IS have a 2.5" 173,000 pixels TFT LCD.
BenjaminXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote