Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 24, 2006, 1:40 PM   #31

Besides the Canon digital SLR cameras understating their ISO levels, the Sony Alpha dSLR-A100 also has it's ISO levels understated (like Canon);

TheCanon dSLRs& the Sony dSLR"actual" ISO levelsare actually about a third of "s" stop more sensitive than indicated.

On those cameras:

ISO 100 = ISO 125

ISO 200 = ISO 250

ISO 400 = ISO 500

ISO 800 = ISO 1000

ISO 1600 = ISO 2000

And etc...

I left this little piece of information out earlier.
BenjaminXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2006, 1:53 PM   #32

BenjaminXYZ wrote:
Quote:
Where it could all have been so much better, if they had done that to those previous image sensors; with the larger photo-sites. (Clearly)

The trouble with larger photo-sites is that they generally charge more per year to upload photos.
Meatwhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2006, 2:04 PM   #33

Code:
The trouble with larger photo-sites is that they generally charge more per year to upload photos.

What do you mean charge more???

A larger photo site doesn't mean mega-pixels at all. A larger photo site generally means higher quality images (That is what dSLR cameras are for). A large APS-C size CCD can have 2+ mega-pixels on it; but the individual photo sites will be very large! (And that can produce very high quality images) [Just like F.F. (full frame)image sensors with larger photo-sites!] Know Canon's Full Frame dSLR cameras???

There you go!

:idea:

On the other hand, a P&S can have 10 M.P. on it's tiny CCD image sensor; as a result, its CCD's individual photo-sites will all be very tiny. Get the idea now???

I bet not.

BenjaminXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2006, 10:41 PM   #34

Wow this thread really took off! Thanks for all of the replies. I have decided to go for the Pentax K100d. I will have $300-$500 to spend on a good lens. I am looking for something that is going to be pretty versatile. I am new to buying lenses, so if you have any suggestions I am open to suggestions.

Also my fz50 with the tcon 17 and raynox 250, etc is on ebay. I am asking $600 for everything. So if you're interested...
fallenleafs is offline   Reply With Quote