Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 28, 2006, 8:10 AM   #41
TDN

Well, then get the E-500 if you like it so much...just mark my words if I say that your wallet will hurt once you start shopping for lenses.

TDN
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2006, 11:27 AM   #42

Benjamin, I happen to be in the Olympus DSLR system, not the Nikon system. If I had any bias at all, it would likely be in favor of the Olympuses. (I own an E-1 and E-300).

But the fact is, the Nikon is a more advanced camera - it's a midrange SLR camera, while ALL of the others you listed are entry-level SLR cameras. And the key advantages of the Nikon tend to be in features that your camera adviser doesn't consider, such as the viewfinder's quality, and ergonomics.

You listed a bunch of viewfinder specs, but you clearly don't know what they mean - the Oly's finder magnification is deceiving, because the native format of the Oly is smaller. In fact, the Nikon's finder is MUCH better - it's much bigger, and also much brighter than the Olympus finder, and also has a higher eyepoint. Yet you apparently believe exactly the Olympus finder is better from the specs you listed, when in fact, it's FAR inferior - in fact, it's the poorest viewfinder of all the cameras Olympus makes.

Many of the added features you listed in the Olympus' favor are either entirely to check off a list of completely useless stuff (like Kelvin range of 2000 to 14000) features for beginners, that are entirely irrelevant for more knowledgeable photographers (such as scene modes).

Point blank, you reeled off a list of supposedly key features that are utterly meaningless for real photographers - which demonstrates my point about a little knowledge being dangerous in the wrong hands. In terms of actual use, the Nikon D80 is a MUCH more advanced camera than the Olympus E-500, and yet, you believe the opposite, because you are clearly NOT an advanced photographer, and you don't know what you're looking for.

I agree, the relative importance of the various features IS subjective. However, I have garnered my own opinions on the subject based on over 30 years of serious photography, and using all different kinds of cameras, while you apparently have garnered your opinions from reading articles and discussion forums. It's demonstrably absurd for you to dismiss the camera's ergonomics as somehow NOT being more important than the litany of specs you listed. If in fact you value these features MORE than the ergonomics of the camera, it PROVES that you lack the knowledge and experience to make a wise purchase decision here. You are bound to be dissatisfied, and I agree with the other posters who have already said as much.

The fact is, the Olympus E-500 does have it's strengths as a camera - but you quite clearly don't have a clue what they are - and I strongly suspect you never will, even if you buy it.
DougJGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2006, 11:41 AM   #43

DougJGreen, you need to re-read my post again >>>

Read the highlighted parts. (PROPERLY)

Quote:

Unfortunately DougJGreen, the more I read this statement of yours, the more I think that you are being BIAS towards the Nikon D80! The Nikon D80 is a great camera I agree, but what you have failed in is by overlooking the individual qualites of the other cameras as well, such as the Olympus EVOLT E-500.

You argued that the Nikon D80 is more richly featured etc than the rest, but the fact is, the Olympus EVOLT E-500 have much of what it has, and even some features that it doesn't have. For example;

The E-500 have many more image size selections than the D80. (Including VGA)

It has more file formats. (Such as TIFF)

It has advance JPEG compression settings. (Not the usual fine, standard etc)

It has highlight and shadow based metering. (Just like on the Sony A100)

It also have ISO selection steps at 1/3 E.V. increments.

It also have Kelvin & W.B. temperature settings. (2000 - 14000 K; the most I've seen)

It also have W.B. finetuning. (Red - Blue: +/- 7 steps (2 mired each), Green - Magenta: +/- 7 steps (2 mired each)

It also have B&W mode with selectable filters.

It also have the ISO noise reduction/filter control.

It also have an extensive image perimeter settings.

It also have a high resolution 2.5" Hyper Crystal wide viewing angle TFT LCD.

It also have a Pentaprism viewfinder with .9x magnification + anti-reflective coating.

It has many more pre-programed scene modes including document. (Hard task for the software engineers, and expert photographers onthe part; to make it all correct)

It also have the build in RAW developement.

It has a build in lens shading correction. (Based on lens CPU providing optical informations)

It also have theRGB histogram.

It has the side by side scene comparison feature.

It has flash bracketting.

It has exposure bracketting.

It has W.B. bracketting. (4, 8 or 12 mired steps)

It has a manual flash output adjustment. (Flash power: Up to +/- 2EV in 1, 1/2, or 1/3 EV steps)

It also have advance flash settings. (TTL Auto FP / TTL auto for Olympus dedicated flash (FL-20, FL-36, FL-50), (Auto, Manual, Red-eye reduction, Slow syncro with red-eye reduction, Slow syncro, 2nd curtain slow syncro, Fill-in for exclusive flash.)

It has a custom mirror lock up feature with custom delay.

It has exposure steps in 1/3, 1/2 or 1.0 EV increments.

It has AE Bracketing in 1/3, 1/2, 0.7 or 1.0 EV steps. (3 frames)

Supports larger capacity Microdrives.

60 second slow shutter!

Aperture, Shutter Priority mode: 60 - 1/4000 sec! (CPU auto evaluate depending on scene)

*Cheaper!*

Digital ESP. AND it has the well known Super Sonic Wave Filter!

Whencomparing D80to the Canon EOS 400D:

*The EOS 400D still have slightly better image quality to start with.*

*Slightly better high ISO performance.*

More extensive image perimeter settings.

*Cheaper.*

*Have the dust buster.*

Have an equal quality2.5" TFT LCD. (Wide viewing angle)

Have the RGB histogram as well.

The rest of the camera is still very good as well. (Just that it is comparing to the more expensive D80)

Sure, the Nikon D80 is better than the EOS 400D in some other areas, but it is also more expensive (Keep that in mind!) And the EOS 400D alsohave slightly better image qualities and high ISO performance. (Which is more important in my book)

It is also a very strong advantage in my opinion, for a cheaper camera to be able toout-perform a more expensive camera even in just some areas by a little. (Expecially in the more important areas)

Same goes to the D80 vs the (cheaper)Sony A100 as well:

The A100 have the dust buster,shake reduction, advance dynamic range optimizer, eye start A.F., 2.5" hi-res TFT with anti-reflective coating, slightlybetter resolution, supports microdrives, shadow and highlight based metering, and slightly more details at higher ISO(s).

I know some of the things are small issues only, but once again, the Sony Alpha A100 cost cheaper than the Nikon D80; so it is worth noting it's advantages. (And it's advantages are rather significant IMO)

Quote:
The fact is, that is a MINOR, almost TRIVIAL issue compared to the ergonomics of the camera
And about what is important or not soimportant, it is all subjective.

I have my criteria(s). You have your criteria(s).

BenjaminXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2006, 12:04 PM   #44

And Benjamin, you need to re-read mine. You are bound to be dissatisfied, because you have no idea WHY the criteria which you think are important, ought to be important or NOT, and you have rejected good advice and constructive criticism from numerous sources. Good luck on your decision. You will surely need it.
Old Oct 28, 2006, 12:11 PM   #45

Code:
Many of the added features you listed in the Olympus' favor are either entirely to check off a list of completely useless stuff (like Kelvin range of 2000 to 14000) features for beginners, that are entirely irrelevant for more knowledgeable photographers (such as scene modes).
So that makes ALL cameras with Kelvin W.B. and scene modes USELESS and for BEGINNERS as well??? The Nikon D80 is one of them don't you know that???

Code:
Point blank, you reeled off a list of supposedly key features that are utterly meaningless for real photographers - which demonstrates my point about a little knowledge being dangerous in the wrong hands. In terms of actual use, the Nikon D80 is a MUCH more advanced camera than the Olympus E-500, and yet, you believe the opposite, because you are clearly NOT an advanced photographer, and you don't know what you're looking for.
So that means all cameras with those features are UTTERLY MEANINGLESS for real photographers as well??? I DISAGREE that theNikon D80 is MUCH MORE ADVANCE than the OLYMPUS EVOLT E-500; I have already given MANY reasons WHY. OFCOUSE, I am not a VERY ADVANCE photographer YET, BUT I have knowledge of photography and the cameras. Looking at it, I THINK THAT YOU ARE THE ONE THAT IS LACKING IN KNOWLEDGE!

I KNOW WHAT I AM LOOKING FOR, AND YOU CAN'T CHANGE THAT!

Code:
It's demonstrably absurd for you to dismiss the camera's ergonomics as somehow NOT being more important than the litany of specs you listed. If in fact you value these features MORE than the ergonomics of the camera, it PROVES that you lack the knowledge and experience to make a wise purchase decision here. You are bound to be dissatisfied, and I agree with the other posters who have already said as much.

Well, the Nikon D70s have BETTER ergonomics than the D80 in my REAL USAGE OF IT. SO, It is THEREFORE the BETTER CAMERA!

So, those features of the Nikon D80 are just ICING ON THE CAKE, or BELLS & WHISTLES ONLY! How sad!

BTW, the OLYMPUS EVOLT E-500 have superb ergonomics as well. (I have just received fantastic feedbacksabout it) Thank God!

Code:
it PROVES that you lack the knowledge and experience to make a wise purchase decision here.
Says who??? How can you simply talk rubbish??? You don't even know me, so don't talk so much. :roll:It's so sad that you are trying to pretend you know me so well...only a fool like you will only try to do it. YOU ARE NOT GOD!!!

Code:
You are bound to be dissatisfied, and I agree with the other posters who have already said as much.
You are trying to be a fortune teller??? How sad, you have certainly done it VERY poorly...

Old Oct 28, 2006, 12:12 PM   #46

Buh Bye, Benjamin.
Old Oct 28, 2006, 12:21 PM   #47

Code:
 you have rejected good advice and constructive criticism from numerous sources.
Says WHO??? Don't simply saynonsense about me OK? :roll:

You clearly DON'T know what are you talking about.

You are just one of the "WORSE" person that I have ever come about...I am in DISGUST!!!

Code:
The fact is, the Olympus E-500 does have it's strengths as a camera - but you quite clearly don't have a clue what they are - and I strongly suspect you never will, even if you buy it.

Trying to be GOD HUH??? You just keep onprophesying about me; youodd to be ashamed of yourself! Who are you to simplysaynonsense about me, did you create me? Stop all this crap.

Code:
You are bound to be dissatisfied, because you have no idea WHY the criteria which you think are important, ought to be important or NOT
I'm very sorry, because you are COMPLETELY AND TOTALLY WRONG WITH THAT ASSUMPTION OF YOURS.

Sorry, all your post have been CRAP to me.

Iwould anytime trust the "My produce adviser" more than YOU anytime.

Old Oct 28, 2006, 12:34 PM   #48

Buh Bye again, Benjamin.
Old Oct 28, 2006, 12:40 PM   #49

Code:
Buh Bye again, Benjamin.
Just get out of my sight! (How foolish of you to believe???)
Old Oct 28, 2006, 12:42 PM   #50

Buh Bye again.