Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 28, 2006, 12:52 PM   #51
Administrator

These guys are only trying to help you.

Don't get personal with your responses. Debate the issues, versus throwing insults or name calling.

Feature comparisons look interesting "on paper".

But, until you actually start using a camera, you really don't know what is going to be more important to you, for how you use a camera.

IOW, if you're not going to use a feature, it's only purpose is "bragging rights". ;-)

You're mentioning features like more scene modes. I've never used scene modes on a camera (even though I've owned models that have them). So, this isn't something I'd care about.

I don't want to try and guess what the manufacturer is trying to accomplish with them. It's easier for me to shoot in Av, or Manual Exposure modes for the type of shooting I typically do.

Some of the threads I see on scene modes are actually funny, because some models have so many of them it's very confusing to users.

So, rather than learning some basic photography skills, they're trying to sort through a bunch of scene modes instead. From my perspective, learning some basic photography skills would be a whole lot easier than trying to figure out what scene mode might work better.

Some people may like them. I'm just not one of them. You'll need to decide if that's really something you want or would use.

You're mentioning things like viewfinder specs. It's got one of the smallest viewfinders around for a DSLR. Who cares if it looks good "on paper' from a design perspective, if it's not going to be good enough for you to use in the conditions you use it in more often (and it may be just fine for your needs).

You're also mentioning things like more image file formats. Do you know anyone that actually shoots using tiff anymore? I sure wouldn't. It wastes space, and fills your cameras buffer up too fast, making it more difficult to take photos in rapid succession. If you want the best quality, shoot raw instead of tiff, so that the images have not already been processed by the camera.

You're mentiong things like "Digital ESP". That's just marketing. It sounds more sophisticated compared to Matrix or Multi-Segment metering. Each manufacturer has a similar metering mode, and the algorithms from each one will be a little different, with all of them requring some getting used to.

The marketing departments are also naming their image processing engines to make them sound better. For example, Canon's "Digic II" versus Sony's "Bionic", etc. That's just marketing speak. lol

Now, you may find some of the features handy, depending on what you shoot. For example, from time to time, I mess with the White Balance Fine Tuning feature built into my KM 5D (because I can set both the lighting temperature and magenta/green compensation to work a bit better with a 3rd party strobe I have). But, most people would never use it. It's not a very popular feature. If it didn't have that feature, it really wouldn't matter much to me. It's not a big deal either way.

You'll take advantage of some camera characteristics very often (viewfinder, AF speed, etc.). But, some features may be rarely (if ever) used.

So, would you rather have a camera that's more difficult to use for almost every shot, having a feature that's rarely if ever used, or would you rather have one that gives you an easier way to take photos for most of your images?

Dig through forum posts and see what camera users are talking about. Things like AF speed/reliability and metering accuracy are far more important to most camera owners, than having an extra scene mode available, or a fancy name that a marketing department came up with for one of the camera's features.

Until you actually start using a camera, you won't know what features are more important to you, for the conditions you'll use one in more often.

So, a feature comparision on paper is of limited benefit.

Try to decide the features that you may want to use more. Don't buy one because it looks better "on paper".

Make sure to actually try out the models you're thinking about in a store if you can find some demo models. Would you buy a car without test driving it? I'm not so sure I want to know the answer to that one. I can almost see the feature comparisons from you now, full of marketing buzz words. :-)

Buy a camera, start using it. Then, you'll have a better understanding of where you have limitations with equipment and can make a better informed decision the next time around.

Also, any opinion you get in the forums is going to be biased, including mine.

But, what's more important to me, may not be as important to someone else (and vice-versa).

You'll need to decide what's more important for your needs. But, until you get some experience under your belt with one, you really won't know that, since I've seen very little indication from you of a particular subject type that's more important compared to another.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2006, 12:54 PM   #52

Code:
Is that a promise?
So??? I was trying to demonstrate to you HOW LIMITED is your thinking about me! See? I can just trick you with a simple trick and you already more or less fell into it.

I edited that thread...this just shows that YOU CANNOT SIMPLY PREDICT ME.

You seems to THINK that you KNOW A LOT about me by reading mypast post(s), but sorry to say, you will only know so much.

As in this case, I said I wanted to delete the thread, and you got that information in mind; how correct were you at last???

In conclusion, "Don't simply think that you know me TOO WELL when you CAN'T."
BenjaminXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2006, 1:01 PM   #53

Benjamin, Grow Up!
DougJGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2006, 1:10 PM   #54

Code:
Benjamin, Grow Up!
You better grow up first before telling me to do so. :roll:

Your post are just SO RIDICULOUS THAT YOU EVEN CONTRADICTED YOURSELF!

You clearly have NO RESPECT for people's CRITERIA(s).

You only think that whatever is important to you MUST ALSO BE IMPORTANT to me!!! And you would call me "LACK OF KNOWLEDGE" or "INEXPERIENCED" when I didn't even disagreed with you. :roll:

You are clearly NOT a person for me to discuss with...You are just like a bulldozer forcing your way though.

Sorry, this is my opinion of you.

I don't have any issues with other members except YOU!

Old Oct 28, 2006, 1:25 PM   #55

yawn
Old Oct 28, 2006, 1:26 PM   #56
Administrator

Perhaps my last post was overlooked. So, I'll repeat it:

JimC wrote:
Quote:
Don't get personal with your responses. Debate the issues, versus throwing insults or name calling.
Stick to debating the issues.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2006, 1:40 PM   #57

Thanks JimC;

Sorry about all that. I actually read through your whole post and appreciated it very much. I didn't know that TIFF was quite useless though...when we have RAW.

That post of yours alone is what I consider to be solid advice, compared to some...that I have just came across.

Someone needs to learn how to give advice...
Old Oct 28, 2006, 1:47 PM   #58

Quote:

Actually, the main shortcoming with the camera IS the viewfinder. It's too small. It's also not particularly useable for manual focusing.

Do I get the camera just because of the viewfinder, or the LCD?

The Olympus EVOLT E-500 haveso manygoodness in itthan to just talk about the viewfinder alone.

I think that there are other features that are just more important than the viewfinder.

BTW, I might evenget the Nikon D70s, heck!

Old Oct 28, 2006, 2:03 PM   #59

In an SLR, the viewfinder is FAR more important than the LCD. In fact, many serious photographers who are used to using film SLRs pretty much never use the LCD other than to set the menus/controls on the camera. I recently shot an airshow in which the sun was so bright that one couldn't even really see anything in the LCD. I didn't miss it in the slightest.

BTW, the Nikon D70 and D50 viewfinders are not all that much better than the E-500.

The D80's viewfinder is an entirely different class - far better. The only less costly cameras with viewfinders this good are the various Pentax cameras.

BTW, I notice that, for someone who has repeatedly asked me to go away and get out of your sight, you keep referring to my posts and asking questions about them.
Old Oct 28, 2006, 2:14 PM   #60

Code:
BTW, I notice that, for someone who has repeatedly asked me to go away and get out of your sight, you keep referring to my posts and asking questions about them.
JimC said: "Back to discussions!"

When I talked about LCD, I meant those live preview LCDs on other cameras...so would I get the camera based on the LCD alone??? NOT!! (I have experienced it before)

As for dSLRs, I have looked through the Nikon D70s viewfinder before and I found it great; so I don't care what the Nikon D80 has got to offer, I clearly can't justify it's extra cost over the D70s. Besides, I also cannot see any significant improvements of it over the Nikon D70s.

As I said before, there are many many other more essential things to look for than just the viewfinder. (Especially when the one on the D70s is already good enough for me)