Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 30, 2006, 12:05 PM   #11

BenjaminXYZ wrote:
Quote:
kenbalbari, thanks for your inputs concerning the benefits of I.S.. However, I personally don't think I.S. is that effective, especially those CCD based I.S. versions. I agree that you will get clearer slower shutter speedshotswith S.R. or A.S., but I believe that the shots will still have a good chance of being partially blurred out. Goodhigh ISO on the other hand, will probably be getting me perfectly sharp images most "if not" all of the time.

What are your thoughts on this?
Though there are differences between CCD based and optical IS, the differences are minimal. I have a CCD based I.S. system and it is absolutely effective. I have yet to require the use of a tripod with shots that were previously impossible without one. I have even taken handheld shots with my 400mm lens. You really have to try takingphotos of the same subject under the same conditions with and without IS to make appreciate and make a practical judgment as to whether or not it is effective.

If you are trying to decide between IS and High ISO that is a personal call, but I can tell that I always use IS. I don't always use high ISO. When I require high ISO, I use lensesf2.8 or brighter anddo not generally go above ISO 1600 unless I really have to and I am willing to live with some noise.
Gozinta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2006, 12:09 PM   #12

U.S. $1000 multiply by 3.6 = R.M. 3600 (My budget)! Mann, I under estimated the D70s' cost here!!

Code:
The Nikon D70s is widely available in my country today, and it cost U.S. $900 after conversion;includingthe kit lens.
Sorry, my earlier post above was wrong! The Nikon D70s kit cost around RM 3600 here today, and that is about US $1000; not US $900!! :shockMy bad!)
BenjaminXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2006, 12:29 PM   #13

Gozinta, that is very great to hear about the CCD based I.S.. :-)

Heck, now even the Sony Alpha dSLR-A100seems cheaper than the Nikon D70s!

The Sony dSLR-A100 kit cost aboutRM 3400 here today, and that is cheaper than the Nikon D70s kit! But the A100'skit lens doesn't seems so good as the D70s' though...in optical quality.

Old Oct 30, 2006, 1:52 PM   #14

BenjaminXYZ wrote:
Quote:
Gozinta, that is very great to hear about the CCD based I.S.. :-)

Heck, now even the Sony Alpha dSLR-A100seems cheaper than the Nikon D70s!

The Sony dSLR-A100 kit cost aboutRM 3400 here today, and that is cheaper than the Nikon D70s kit! But the A100'skit lens doesn't seems so good as the D70s' though...in optical quality.

Read this comparison of the Sony "Kit" lens verses a much more expensive "G" series KM lens. Of course the "G" lens wins but you might be surprisedat how well the kit lens does.

http://www.mhohner.de/minolta/18-70_vs_17-35.php?lang=e

Old Oct 30, 2006, 2:07 PM   #15

That was interesting. However, I think Sony in general have very little lens offerings; their upcoming lenses are just too expensive for me.

The A100 itself looks like a great camera though...
Old Oct 30, 2006, 2:29 PM   #16

BenjaminXYZ wrote:
Quote:
That was interesting. However, I think Sony in general have very little lens offerings; their upcoming lenses are just too expensive for me.

The A100 itself looks like a great camera though...
There is plenty of good glass out there for the Alpha. Much in the way of existing KM, Minolta, Tamron, Sigma, Tokina, Vivitarlenses both new and used available.Despite the increased the demand and skyrocketing prices created by KM going out and Sony Taking over thereare some remarkbly inexpensive deals out there if you look at the used market or discontinued models for lenses.

I'm not trying to convince you buy the Sony, but your objection to their lenses being expensive applys toother brands as well.

Honestly, I don't reccomend the Alpha for you or anyone elseas a first time DSLR buyer. A 10MP camera like the Alphais too much camera out of the box and requires relying on a lot of technique to properly appreciate. If you bought the Alpha, youwould just be disappointed until you really develop your photographic andphoto editiingskills. Get yourself a Nikon D50. You can't go wrong with it and if you decide to upgrade, you could do so without a big loss. Of course, you could go with the D70, but I wouldn't wait much longer whatever you do.
Old Oct 31, 2006, 4:47 AM   #17

I don't know, but I have never seen the Nikon D50 atcamera storessince the past few months already...I have seen plenty of Nikon D70s though. (As long as I take a look at the glass shelves)

Besides that, the last I askedabout the Nikon D50, the salesman told me that they don't sell the D50 body only option; I must buy it with the 18 - 55 mm kit lens...Clearly, the Nikon D70s looks to be the betteroption for methen. Ihave alsotook a look at theNikon Malaysia's website, and they also didn't display the price for the Nikon D50 body only option (Just the kit), unlike the Nikon D70s. (Both body & kit prices)

It isjust interesting that the Sony Alpha dSLR-A100 is selling for such a good price in Malaysia here. (When actuallycameras here tend to be more expensive)

I will most likely be going for the Nikon D70s kit ($1000)already. If you all have anything more to say, just feel free to add.

Old Oct 31, 2006, 6:21 AM   #18

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the D50 with the kit glass. I understand your desire to get the "best", but the 18-55 (and the 55-200 for that matter) are very solid, if unremarkable performers. The lens(es) are pretty sharp, lightweight and offer a lot of value for the price (very cheap when purchases with the camera). They are also control distortion very well. At normal print sizes (up to 11x14) or even larger, I doubt you'd (or anyone else would) notice the shortcomings. I know you have this obsession with 100% crops, but in reality, what matters is how the image prints, and unless you're printing 2'x3' prints, or submitting to very particular stock agencies (and even then, noise control and focusare more important) how the image looks at 100% isn't all that important. The truth is, aside from the 50 f1.8 or a few other bright primes, you won't be able to do much better lens wise without spending 4 or 5 times what you'll be spending for the kit lenses. For the price the D50 two lens kit is a better value than the D70 with its kit lens. I've used both setups extensively, and the real world difference between the 18-55 and 18-70 is nearly imperceptable.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2006, 7:01 AM   #19

rjseeney, that is great to hear. I tell you what, I think I will proceed andsearch forthe Nikon D50 in the local camera stores; perhaps I might be able to spot it somewhere. If I do, I think I will try asking around a bit regarding the few questions that I have.

Regards.

Old Oct 31, 2006, 1:50 PM   #20
TDN

BenjaminXYZ wrote:
Quote:
cameras here tend to be more expensive than in the U.S..
I know what you mean, it's the same here in Europe...I don0t know why, but in the US online stores I see the same camera about 20% cheaper, or more!

That's why I bought mine second hand. Got my *ist DL kit for 375 euros (that's about 450$) 6 months ago, and it was only 2 months old! it's still under warranty for over a year

scout the 2nd hand market and you can do great deals.

TDN
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote