Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 30, 2006, 7:03 AM   #1

Before that, I alsowant toassure you that this will bemy "final" "which camera to buy thread" as well; :-)So I would be taking it really really seriously this time. The end of the month is also just around the corner, so my decision have to be made.

Yesterday, I hadspend the whole day analyzing my criteria(s) personally, and I have arrived at thosetwo final choice below>>>

The Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-R1 enthusiast

&

The Nikon D70s dSLR (Kit)

I am going to be very honest here;

I like the Sony DSC-R1'sgreat lens,and I like the Nikon D70s' high ISO image quality.

I know that the Sony DSC-R1 does not have as good high ISO performance as the Nikon D70s. However, the Sony DSC-R1 does havea considerably better lens than the Nikon D70s (Kit).

I figured all this out yesterday;

My shooting criteria(s) will eventually be from almost anything common such as casual snap shots of people, quick snapshots of sceneries,brief travelphoto takingto serious group photography, dedicated long exposure night photography, portraits, creative photography, close up photography, and low light photography without a tripod. I would also like to inform you that I will prefer to depend more on available lightings, than to use flash often.

Iwould greatlyliketo hear your point of view(s).

Currently money is not really an issue. I have R.M. 3600 (About U.S. $1000) to spend, but I can afford to spend more if I have to. However, recommend other camera models only when absolutely necessary.

Regards.

BenjaminXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 30, 2006, 7:14 AM   #2

Based on all your previous posts, the D70s would probably be your best bet. The R-1, although a great camera, provides no upgradability or future flexibility. You will find you will eventually need a DSLR. Why not just get one now. A DSLR will provide you the ability to tailor your lenses to your needs, and to grow in your hobby (or profession). This is especially true given your desire to do this as a career.

You're only other issue is the consideration that both are older cameras now. The R1 has been discontinued and the D70s is increasingly difficult to find.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2006, 7:50 AM   #3

RJSEENEY, thanksfor yourquick reply. I think that what you have just said is very correct, I also think that a dSLR will be betterin the long run for me; but at the expense of cost unfortunately. Normally, I would try not to spend so much, so I had also thought of the idea before that U.S. $900 was a good limit to set for myself, and anything above that unless very necessary. The Sony DSC-R1 is also about to be phased out soon (as Sony is no longer making them; I heard), so I am very concerned that if I should be getting it, I had better be acting quickly. In addition, Sony DSC-R1 also cost about U.S. $700 now, and that is a really low price for it now; so it adds more interest to the buying decision. (I heard that people at dpreview are already grabbing at the last stocks)

The Nikon D70s is widely available in my country today, and it cost U.S. $900 after conversion;includingthe kit lens.

Any idea if a photography school oftenrequires you to get your owncamera and (or) lenses? (They might require a dSLR; but I'm not sure)

BTW, I think that I would most probably be getting the Nikon D70s.

Any other opinions? Anybody want to say anything more about the R1?

Old Oct 30, 2006, 9:12 AM   #4

I'm curious as to why you changed your mind about the Sony Alpha. It's under $800 US now with kit lens.

I know it's not good at ISO 1600, but for your low light photography without a tripod, I would think the stabilization would be more important.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2006, 9:23 AM   #5

Quote:

I'm curious as to why you changed your mind about the Sony Alpha. It's under $800 US now with kit lens.

I know it's not good at ISO 1600, but for your low light photography without a tripod, I would think the stabilization would be more important.

Really? :-)

Yesterday, I have factored it out because of the ISO matter...It is also the same for the other 10 M.P. cameras; although theywere great cameras. For the case of the R1, it has such a great lens and price; that's why it attracted me anyway.

Ialso don't think that the kit lens of theA100 is good enough for me. If I have to add a good lens on to the A100, I don't think that I would be able to afford it as well.

Old Oct 30, 2006, 11:00 AM   #6

Quote:
Really? :-)
Well, yeah. I think for sports, where you really want a shutter up past 1/400,the ISO performance would be more important, even if there isn't more than about a stop difference.

But otherwise, if you are shooting handheld,for anyplace where you can shoot under about 1/200, I think you would want the IS more. And anytime you can get away with shooting 1/30 sec at ISO 800 instead of 1/120 sec at ISO 3200, it will be alot more useful.

In camera IS hasn't been around all that long, but every single independent review I've seen of it, in cameras ranging from DSLRs to point and shoots, seems to conclude that there is a 2 stop advantage or better in low light (though I'm still sceptical of some of those that claim more than that). I don't think there is even a 1 stop difference in these cameras in high ISO performace. The worst at ISO 800 today are still look at least as good to me as the best at ISO 1600 (in this price range).

There are other reasons though that you should maybe stick to Nikon or Canon. It seems you will likely want to move up at some point, and those lines give you more opportunities to do so. Most pros are going to be shooting Canon or Nikon. Plus, if there are any camera shops in your area that rent equipment, they are likely to carry Nikon or Canon. Which would enable you to try out alot of different things at low cost (instead of having to rely on reviews).

I'll add that my opinion on this is based on speculation and reading reviews and other users opinions, rather than on personal experience. But from what I see from users who actually have used cameras with IS for any length of time, most seem to conclude it is a very important feature.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2006, 11:29 AM   #7

want a great combo?

nikon d50+nikkor 50mm f/1.4.
zygh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2006, 11:55 AM   #8

kenbalbari, thanks for your inputs concerning the benefits of I.S.. However, I personally don't think I.S. is that effective, especially those CCD based I.S. versions. I agree that you will get clearer slower shutter speedshotswith S.R. or A.S., but I believe that the shots will still have a good chance of being partially blurred out. Goodhigh ISO on the other hand, will probably be getting me perfectly sharp images most "if not" all of the time.

What are your thoughts on this?
Old Oct 30, 2006, 12:50 PM   #9
TDN

Definitly the D70s.

Someone talked about finding one with the 18-70mm lens for 800$ here, maybe you could ask him/her where you can find that deal.

A DSLR will always have great flexibility, unlike a fixed lens camera.
If you save up after the purchase, I'm sure you can find a lens you like as much (or almost as much) as the one on the R1

Have fun with your new camera!

TDN
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2006, 1:04 PM   #10

Quote:

Someone talked about finding one with the 18-70mm lens for 800$ here, maybe you could ask him/her where you can find that deal.

TDN, thanks for your response(s).

I will not be buying on line. :-)The country I live in sells Nikon D70s kits for aroundR.M. 3600 (U.S. $1000)at local retail stores; cameras here tend to be more expensive than in the U.S..

U.S. $800 = R.M. 2880 here. (That's VERY cheap!)

Oh man, my mistake! My R.M. 3600 for the Nikon D70s kit actually = to your U.S. $1000! :O(So it was a mistake on my part for earlier as well)

Eek!