Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 1, 2006, 10:58 PM   #1

I keep changing my mind and will end up with nothing... I own a DSLR canon rebel 6MP - its great but with 3 kids - 8, 5 and 1 and a lot of travelling from Mozambique to UK and family in Peru - weight restrictions etc I simply cannot lug my DSLR and its lenses (own 28-300). dont think a compact digital will keep me happy and the thought of a hybrid digital camera with a mega zoom appeals plus it takes video. I never take my video along its just been too much bulk. I live in hot climate and 40mins away from kruger so big optical zoom is a must plus quick focussing. I am torn between the canon S3 and panasonic FZ50...If just one of them had a bigger LCD screen that would help but both are miserly in this dept. I have never used a forum of this kind and hope someone out there will choose for me - I dont have the luxury of testing these cameras as I wont find them in Mozambique! I am in USA for 2 days (sis lives here) and circuit city didnt have the FZ50... so cant choose by physically holding these cameras... help!
wendyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 2, 2006, 1:32 AM   #2

I have held both and like both, but the canon has a swivel screen in the back and i dont care for those. have seen them break or wear out over time. i would buy the panasonic myself.
ecap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2006, 3:27 AM   #3

My choice is Panasonic. They have swivel LCD. The LCD (and EVF) although small, has one of the best reolutions I have ever seen.

Now my question is... Why not carry your Rebel DSLR + 18-200 lens ? They are almost the same size; probably 400g more.
msantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2006, 10:10 AM   #4

Hi thanks - i really wanted the mega zoom 35-430mm as we visit the kruger national park quite often. Also rebel camera is very heavy even with a smaller 18-22mm it takes up space in my wheelie which also has to carry all the baby stuff. Plus I wanted a camera that also had a video option... I never carry our video cos its just another piece of equipment. If I am at a school play handling a baby and then the rebel with big lens pus a video recorder its a nightmare... how much bigger is the FZ50 to previous models - i have only seen the FZ7 havent been able to get hands opn FZ50... is video capability of FZ50 as good as the canons? i dont intend to use camera primarily for this but would be useful to capture odd video clip eg when kids got to touch a baby giraff in a reserve I only had my rebelhandy thanks Wendy
Old Nov 2, 2006, 10:40 PM   #5

My suggestion would be to look at the Sony H-2 or H-5. I have used the Panasonic FZ-10, 15, & 30, plus the Canon S-2 and S-3, and there output cannot compare with the photos from my Sony H-5.

Proof is in the photo, so I have attached an example photo for you as well. This photo was taken without flash at ISO 400, a shutter spped of 1/30th at F2.8, and I was 75 feet away, as well.

MT
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2006, 5:39 PM   #6

thanks for info will look at sony H5 !
Old Nov 8, 2006, 12:22 PM   #7

MT - you should look carefully at your exif data before posting numbers. I know everyone can make mistakes but I have seen lots of wrong exif data in your posts.

BTW - The image you posted shows aperture of f3.5 and ss of 1/60sec. The exposure comp is -1.2EV. I don't think H5 can do f2.8 at the long end. I would like to see the unprocessed shot as at -1.2ev, the shot should be under-exposed.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2006, 2:42 PM   #8

I wonder why the girl's (golden)hair looks artifact(s) like? :? (It is a resized image isn't it; artifacts usually gets hidden wellin resized photos...)

BTW, details are all smudgy looking as well...
BenjaminXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote