Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Nov 5, 2006, 1:20 AM   #21
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 248
Default

kenbalbari wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
What i mean is what i read on a camera forum ,the guy said The R1 is not a fast Jpeg camera , Ive just bought one , The Jpegs look ok to me i wont be shooting raw no way , and it seems fast enough , But am i missing something ?,
If it seems fast enough to you than it is. If the Jpegs look good to you than they are.

For someone shooting alot of sports, a faster camera might be more important. The R1 isn't quick at continuous shooting. It will do the first 3 shots quickly, but then have to wait 4-8 seconds for the buffer to clear. It also doesn't autofocus as quickly as some others in lower light.

As for the jpegs, you can get a bit better results normally using RAW; but that's true of any model. There isn't really anything wrong with the camera jpegs. One reviewer wished that the jpegs from the camera were less "over-processed" and "over-sharpened". But this is to some degree a matter of preference. And it would be true of alot of DSLRs--especially entry level models (because most consumers coming from point and shoots will prefer that).

If you are happy with the range of the lens, and happy with the image quality, don't worry about what isn't perfect. Every camera has limits. Within the range covered by that lens, it will pretty much match or beat just about anything else anywhere near the price. The limitations are if you need a brighter lens for low light, or need more zoom, or faster continuous shooting, or a better ISO 1600, you won't have that, and maybe you could have had some of those on another camera.

But there are also some things the R1 can do that most DSLRs can't--like allow you to compose your shot on the LCD. No reason to think of returning it unless there is something you really want/need that it doesn't do.
Thankyou so much for your wonderfull expert reply . that says a lot ,glad the camera is good enough or rather good enough for mr average thats me , I can see that some may nick pick because the R1 has a slow buffer and 3 shots is fine for me , So jpegs are ok on the R1 as well but raw i think would take better photos but not a lot i think thats what im learning , Btw in your opinion what camera takes better jpegs is it a DSLR in your opinion or some other prosumer the R1 was only £ 399 so it seems its worth that maybe.thanks again for yourgreat good makes senseto me reply.
rodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2006, 1:39 AM   #22
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 248
Default

BenjaminXYZ wrote:
Quote:
RODO, the R1 is only a little bit slower than the dSLR cameras (such as focus speed). However, if you are not shooting sports or fast actions, I don't believe thatanyone can notice the speed difference. (Or itshouldn't matter at all) Generally, the R1 is slow at RAW processing andRAW buffering, becauseit's RAW files are huge. (Bigger than the onesproduced by the dSLRcameras)

I took a close look at the images captured by the Nikon D70s and the Sony R1 again (At dcresource and here), and I have to admit that their JPEG image qualities are more or less similar. However, I still noticed that the R1 tend hard-clip the highlights. The R1 also tend to over-processed it's images, however, this can be avoided by turning down the sharpness setting in-camera to the min. (It's colors are fairly accurate though...) Remember that there is always the professional quality AdobeRGB setting in the R1, for ever more accurate and broader range of colors.

The RAW of the R1 should be spectacular though...

Nevertheless, the superiority of the R1's lens can be seen in the respective images; no C.A., purple fringing, distortions, light fall off and de-centering.

The high ISO performance of the dSLR cameras aregenerally better than the R1's, but the R1's high ISO performance is better than the Sony Alpha dSLR-A100 and the OLYMPUS EVOLT E-500 noise wise. In detail wise, it is one of the better one(s); with the Sony Alpha dSLR-A100. (Which is better than the Nikon D80)

Finally, the build quality of the R1 is better than most of the dSLR cameras out there, such as the Canon Rebel models.

So as you can see, the R1 is also a GREAT camera!! :-)So don't worry.

The R1 have the widest F/2.8 angle lens I have ever seen, obviously there are wider lenses around for dSLR cameras, but those start slower than F/2.8!

The R1's lens is also the only one lens solution that start(s) from the wide 24 mm F/2.8 angle to the 120 mm telephoto range. If Sony had not planned the new C.Z. lens for the A100, the R1's lens will be the ONLY such lens today!! EVEN THEN, because the new C.Z. lens isn't out yet, the R1's lens is STILL the only such kind NOW!! (This clearly shows how good it is!) Furthermore, the new C.Z. lens isn't as fast at the wide end as the R1's lens. (Thelens of the R1 is still BETTER!!!)

AND that new C.Z. lens of Sony is going to put all the other dSLR lenses out there to SHAME in PRICE & RANGE. BUT it's quality will also be GREAT!! Just that if you want to compare to L glasses and Nikon professional glasses, then it's quality becames only nearby, but still GREAT enough for high quality images. (And that is what that matters!!)

Keeping all this in mind...the lens of the R1 is still BETTER because it has F/2.8 at the wide end, compared to the new Sony C.Z..

Lets take a look at the best dSLR lenses now >>> (And I only talk about zooms that has F/2.8 anywhere; because the lens of the R1 is so great with F/2.8 at the wide end) I won't include primes; they won't compare to the R1's complex zoom.

Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L USM

The best and the ONLY wide zoom in the Canon's linethat has F/2.8 (Although this one is a constant aperture zoom). This lens cost US$1400 !!! :!:

I don't think that this lens have a better opticalquality than the R1's lens. It is also shorter and less wide on the Canon's 1.6 crop factor dSLR cameras. (Think how good is the R1's lens now!!)

Sorry, the rest of the high quality Canon zoom line up are either not wide anymore or don't have theF/2.8 anywhere.

Nikon 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF AF-S Nikkor

This lens cost US$1,500 !!! :!::!: (It is a constant aperture zoom though...)

It isneither wider nor longer than the R1's lens on Nikon's 1.5 crop factor dSLR(s). Optically, I also don't believe that it would be BETTER than the R1's lens. (See how good is the R1's lens???)

Nikon 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S DX Nikkor

This one is also a constant aperture zoom. It cost about US$1,250 !! :!:

Same thing, it is NOT wider, and is also NOT longer than the R1's high quality C.Z. *T zoom. Optical quality wise, I don't think that it is BETTER as well.

That's it for the Nikon F/2.8 wide zoom line up as well. (THEY HAVE NO MORE LENSES WORTHY TO COMPARE!!) They don't have any morewide zooms that have F/2.8 anywhere.

KUDOS to the R1's lens!

READ THIS LINK; look at the fantastic graph!


Regards.



Many thanks for your in depth reply, it seems you are telling me to keep the R1 it is good value i thought for £399 in the uk .Your wonderfull learning of cameras is truly mind bogleing and your study must take hours of your time but please what IS the better / best jpeg camera out there is it a DSLR ?, I would ask youalso if i get a( DSLR at christmas a present for me from my lady)what would you sugest please ,and what carry around multipurpose lens or are two lenses better? you see i think i will add a DSLR and keep the R1 as well ,Your superbexpert advice like others here is so welcome we can learn from people like you ,I know JIM uses a Konica Minolta DLSR and he is also an expert what is your take ,thanks in advance for your reply.:shock:
rodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2006, 2:00 AM   #23
Senior Member
 
BenjaminXYZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 788
Default

RODO, I actually have a list of dSLR(s) that captures superb quality JPEG(s) compared to the others, but I feel rather uneasy explaining all of them now; because I know when I am done, some of those people(s)will bebound to come in here and lecture me again...I already have a bad experience, especially if I should becommenting & analyzingon some owner's camera(s)...I would hate all those to happen again. (I always receive a P.M. after providing people with my research results...People would ask me to STOP)

Anyway, you can try this out >>> http://www.imaging-resource.com/cgi-bin/m/pl.cgi?cajsand tell me what have you got; then I would be able to advice you a bit (based on your choice).

Enjoy.

Regards.
BenjaminXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2006, 2:03 AM   #24
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 248
Default

rjseeney wrote:
Quote:
What do you mean by fast??? Do you need a fst burst rate?? What kind of subjects are you shooting?? Also, you've only had the camera two weeks. I would give it more of a chance. Get used to it, play around with it. Any camera you choose will have some compromises.
Thanks for your good advice your right to try it some more, What camera are you compromising on at the moment please, do you know of a low compromise camera out therei should look at? , Thinking my lady has offered to get me a DSLR + couple of lenses this christmas ifi like to compliment the R1, stillwondering ifthe R1 is good enough to keep as well ,your advice would help out many thanks indeed Rodo .:G
rodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2006, 2:19 AM   #25
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 248
Default

BenjaminXYZ wrote:
Quote:
RODO, I actually have a list of dSLR(s) that captures superb quality JPEG(s) compared to the others, but I feel rather uneasy explaining all of them now; because I know when I am done, some of those people(s)will bebound to come in here and lecture me again...I already have a bad experience, especially if I should becommenting & analyzingon some owner's camera(s)...I would hate all those to happen again. (I always receive a P.M. after providing people with my research results...People would ask me to STOP)

Anyway, you can try this out >>> http://www.imaging-resource.com/cgi-bin/m/pl.cgi?cajsand tell me what have you got; then I would be able to advice you a bit (based on your choice).

Enjoy.

Regards.

All i need is your list its your opinion i would like to study first, any other can agree or not but i would be most gratefull for YOUR opinion please , i would then have a starting point , How sad you feel lowly i dont think you are a fool more a expert on here MY OPINION .,please dont be shy or intimidated speak out sir others do why hold back come on man please,man or mouse sirwe say over here im sure your a man,i can see your a man who knows and who studys the subject i need your opinion if you would kindly give it on Jpeg cameras that in your opinion are the very best, Oh please thankyou once againfor any opinionwe need experts like yourself to advise people like me and to give us a honest personal opinion rgrds Rodo.8)
rodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2006, 2:44 AM   #26
Senior Member
 
BenjaminXYZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 788
Default

The PENTAX K100D dSLR camera, NIKON D70s dSLR, and the NIKON D50 dSLR all produces one of the best quality JPEG image quality among all ofthe entry level dSLR cameras.

I have studied images from dcresource, andfrom this site, and I have looked over them many times at 100% zoom.

The reason why the JPEGimages from the above three dSLR cameras can be rated the best among all in my book; is because they feature good per-pixel sharpness (Crispness), smooth transitions from shadows to highlights, minimal highlight clippings, non harsh clipped highlights, few C.A.(s) (Chromatic abbreviations), few to no purple fringings, and goodimage definition etc...

The 3 dSLR cameras listed above have all passed this test, and their lenses are not to say very remarkable as well. (Anyway, it would be most probable that a userseeking to buy any ofthose dSLR(s) will be getting them with the kit lens) Ifthose dSLR(s)can already be so good with their respective kit lenses, then I can expect them to be better with more expensive lenses.

In conclusion, these three dSLR cameras (above) are the best at JPEG(s) as far as I know. (Among the entry level)

Regards.

Hope you enjoy yourself looking for a camera. :-) (Just as I am)

But you should never forget that you R1 is one of the greatest camera around!


BenjaminXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2006, 8:48 AM   #27
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 248
Default

BenjaminXYZ wrote:
Quote:
The PENTAX K100D dSLR camera, NIKON D70s dSLR, and the NIKON D50 dSLR all produces one of the best quality JPEG image quality among all ofthe entry level dSLR cameras.

I have studied images from dcresource, andfrom this site, and I have looked over them many times at 100% zoom.

The reason why the JPEGimages from the above three dSLR cameras can be rated the best among all in my book; is because they feature good per-pixel sharpness (Crispness), smooth transitions from shadows to highlights, minimal highlight clippings, non harsh clipped highlights, few C.A.(s) (Chromatic abbreviations), few to no purple fringings, and goodimage definition etc...

The 3 dSLR cameras listed above have all passed this test, and their lenses are not to say very remarkable as well. (Anyway, it would be most probable that a userseeking to buy any ofthose dSLR(s) will be getting them with the kit lens) Ifthose dSLR(s)can already be so good with their respective kit lenses, then I can expect them to be better with more expensive lenses.

In conclusion, these three dSLR cameras (above) are the best at JPEG(s) as far as I know. (Among the entry level)

Regards.

Hope you enjoy yourself looking for a camera. :-) (Just as I am)

But you should never forget that you R1 is one of the greatest camera around!

Thats great and thanks . all better than the R1 you think these three? which has the best body and viewfinder in your opinion? and what would be the better walk around lens do you think for each camera up to now your tests? in order if you can . rgrds Rodo ,Oh btw i have some relatives in the Phillipines not far from your place ,they say Pentax cameras are made there in Manila and are very popular.:crazy:
rodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2006, 8:53 AM   #28
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 248
Default

BenjaminXYZ wrote:
Quote:
RODO, I actually have a list of dSLR(s) that captures superb quality JPEG(s) compared to the others, but I feel rather uneasy explaining all of them now; because I know when I am done, some of those people(s)will bebound to come in here and lecture me again...I already have a bad experience, especially if I should becommenting & analyzingon some owner's camera(s)...I would hate all those to happen again. (I always receive a P.M. after providing people with my research results...People would ask me to STOP)

Anyway, you can try this out >>> http://www.imaging-resource.com/cgi-bin/m/pl.cgi?cajsand tell me what have you got; then I would be able to advice you a bit (based on your choice).

Enjoy.

Regards.
Its a camera advisor coolCan you say it is reliable got to test it and get back to you , Any others tried this expert robotplease ?
rodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2006, 10:03 AM   #29
Senior Member
 
BenjaminXYZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 788
Default

You can get the PENTAX K100D with it's good quality kit lens. The K100D has the best TTL viewfinder in here. (But I find the D70s one good)

The Pentax K100D have a build in S.R. (Shake Reduction) as well. [It is like a build in I.S. (Image stabilizer)]

The Nikon D70salsocomes witha very good quality kit lens using E.D. (Extra Low Dispersion Glass). In addition, the D70s also have better high ISO performance, and detailed ISO controlover the K100D. (ISO selection[s] steps at 1/3 E.V. increments)

Did you use the "My camera adviser"? If so, what was the top five cameras in your recommended list?

Regards.







BenjaminXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2006, 10:26 AM   #30
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 822
Default

My own opinion is that the best jpeg image quality of the entry level models belongs to the Canon 350D (Rebel XT). It probably wouldn't be my first choice though, except for shooting sports and action.

But, if you already have an R1, I don't think you would really see any difference with an entry level DSLR, unless you really need more zoom. I think from there, for the next step up, I might look to models like the Nikon D200 or Pentax K10D.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 4:56 PM.