Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   What Camera Should I Buy? (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/what-camera-should-i-buy-80/)
-   -   Looking to get an entry level SLR (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/what-camera-should-i-buy/105641-looking-get-entry-level-slr.html)

JohnG Nov 3, 2006 1:26 PM

Then the camera body should be fine. I would ask about the lens in the pentax lens forum. I would think something like a 70-200 (typically better optics and brighter aperture but a little shorter) or 70-300 (typically not as good optics as a 70-200 andusually 5.6 aperture which is fine for outdoors butproblematic for indoors but longer reach)would be good. Check in that forum for specific lens recommendations though.

Just Ride It Photography Nov 3, 2006 3:21 PM

I caught sight on the pentax k100d, would this bea good camera for portrait and equine photographY? right now i have a canon powershot s2 IS

JohnG Nov 3, 2006 8:29 PM

Portrait photography is more reliant on non-body items: lenses, flashes, strobes, tripods, etc. Just about any DSLR out there will do well for most non-professional portrait photography. Given the fact you're looking at Entry level I'm assuming you're not going to be doing professional portrait work so that or any other entry DSLR should be fine.

For equine photography, what specifically do you mean? Yes I know it's horses, but what types of photos? Outdoor horse races, portraits or indoor jumping events, what? The environment you are shooting in and whether it is action or not will drive what the necessary features you need are - specifically with regards to types of lenses you might need.

TDN Nov 3, 2006 10:10 PM

JohnG is right, your lenses will determine a lot more about your pictures than your camera body will.

The K100D is definitly a good buy and great value for the money.

Also there are a lot of nice lenses on the 2nd hand market for a nice price, which might help you a lot too.

The SR is a plus aswell.

Do keep in midn that there is no vertical grip for the K100D.

There is one for the new K10D and I think there are grips available for Canon and Nikon cameras too. So if that's important for you you might want to look at those.

Just Ride It Photography Nov 4, 2006 12:06 AM

for equine photography, i'll be shooting horses shows, i mostly do open shows, which have pleasure classes as well as barrels, with some jumping of course. I will mostly be shooting outdoors, but at rare occurances i'll be shooting indoors, so i'll need a good hotshoe flash to freeze motion in dim lighting. I dont really worry bout a vertical grip, as i dont relaly see the need for one

does the pentax system have good telephoto lenses that would help me?

mtclimber Nov 4, 2006 6:44 PM

If you go with the Pentax K100D, then the Tamron 28-300mm lens would give you 10+X optical zoom, which is sort of like your S-2. That lens can be had for around $150 and it is quite a good lens.

MT

mtngal Nov 6, 2006 2:42 PM

I haven't tried to shoot horseshows with my digital camera - the cameras replaced the horses. However, I would think that the DA 50-200 with the K100Dwould work very well. I'm not sure you would really need a 300 lens, unless you are talking about top shows and will be a long way away from the action. I don't think I even owned anything longer than 135mm for my film camera when I was showing (mostly local shows).

The one thing that might get me to consider waiting for the (not yet released) K10D over getting the K100D is the weatherproofing/seals on the new camera. I haven't had any problem with the K100D, but I remember how dusty it could be when I was showing horses in Texas. Its not an issue that would stop me from buying the K100D, just something that might get me to buy the K10D over the K100D, all other things being equal.