Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 4, 2006, 3:53 PM   #1

I started my digicam experience with an HP m415 (or 417 can't remember), and while I was happy, I realized the bulk and small lcd screen were the biggest drawbacks.

Now, I am in the market for a somewhat compact (ie now huge long lens) digicam with at least 5mp, 6x optical zoom, double AA batteries, and a huge selections of scene modes.

Here are the contenders---

Canon Powershot A700

Nikon Coolpix L1

Panasonic DMC-LZ5

Here is another question, if I go up in megapixels, cwill that boost a lower optical zoom?

thank you everyone!
ilovetotravel29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 4, 2006, 6:10 PM   #2

Quote:
Here is another question, if I go up in megapixels, cwill that boost a lower optical zoom?
Sort of. You'll be able to crop (or I guess use digital zoom) and get the same picture. Generally, with an 8MP camera with a 129mm lens, you would be able to crop the same picture you could have taken with a 6MP and a 172mm lens.

(In that group I'd go for the LZ5).

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2006, 3:10 PM   #3

Thank you for the info on megapixels

I have a close tie between panasonic dmc-tz1, and panasonic dmc-lz5
I was able to test the tz1 today at best buy and I did notice a bit of a focus delay when i was using the 10x zoom...is that normal? could it have been the setting I was on? I really would prefer a camera that powers up and shoots quickly since I take a lot of pictures of little animals....long story I will have to tell some other time.

the issues currently are that the tz1 does feel a lot sturdier than the lz5, but it is also a little bulkier, and there is the slow to focus aspect, though I don't know if that is because of the setting it was on

the tz1 has a proprietary battery, while the lz5 takes AA which I prefer

I am somewhat torn and having the hardest time deciding...the price difference is only about 40 bucks, but not including the money for the extra battery

Old Nov 7, 2006, 4:18 PM   #4

Ultimately, is the panasonic dmc-tz1 a better quality camera than the HP m415? though there is a lag time in autofocus, will it overall take better pictures than the m415? I was happy with the m415, except for the bulkiness, and the fact that the small lcd screen didn't show when things were blurry or would come out grainy.