Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 5, 2006, 10:59 AM   #1

I have had a 35mm Canon point and shoot for the past twenty years. Gave great results. Bought a Sony camcorder three years back from Russia. It copped out after two years. Lines started appearing when put on and thereafter has closed up all together.

I am now deciding to buy a digital still camera with limited video capability. With video formats that are simply and quickly downloadable into a PC. So can you help me decide between the Canon S3IS and the Sony H5?Or are there other alternatives to this range and capability of cameras?
Jacob James is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 6, 2006, 10:06 AM   #2

Those are the main 2 contenders. The newer Fuji s6000 may be an option as well, though I don't know about its movie mode.

The S3 and H5 are close enough that the best way to chose between them is probably to test them out and see which feels best in your hands. I believe the S3 may have the better movie mode though, so that might be your best option.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2006, 3:19 PM   #3

Thanks a lot for your reply Ken. What is the kind of camera that you have and what are your experiences with it? Post me a reply when you have the time.
Old Nov 7, 2006, 10:48 AM   #4

I was in the same dilemma recently

s3 and h5 are very close in features and quality. You will hear people say that the H5 has better IQ, but I think that your average user would not be able to easily determine this. It is slightly less noisy at higher ISO.

However s3won over for me, in terms of cost, features, macro mode, swivel lcd (although small compared to H5), continuous burst mode only limited by available memory. Although the s3 is relatively small, I didn't like the feel of the H5 in my hands.

s3 movie mode is very impressive, you can quickly switch to movie mode at the press of a single button no matter what you are doing. You can also then still capture stills while recording a movie. there is "stereo" sound as there are two mics on the front of the camera. Sound quality is very good and not at all distorted like it used to be on my old kodak p&s. Video image looks great. I used it for the first time at a family party the other day, then came home and plugged the camera straight into the TV to watch it, it was like I was watching a DVD I was really impressed. Make sure you have a large/fast memory card though becasue you can soon use it up.

I didn't really make the decision to get the s3 until I was able to compare both side by side in store and get a feel for them. So try and do this if at all possible.

I think steve's s3 review has some good comparison info with h5 so check that out also

Sibling Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2006, 12:41 PM   #5

Thanks Chris,

For a very technical and informative reply. Your advice would be extremely useful, when I make the final choice. Maybe you would like to send me some real sharp pictures that you have taken from your camera. I could send you some from in return.

Thanks again.
Old Nov 8, 2006, 6:20 AM   #6

well maybe my pictures won;t sell it to you!! I have to admit that I'm pretty new to any sort of photgraphy beyond point and shoot, so I am still getting used to what does what. I'm sure you will find plenty of really good examples though, I don;t have a link but I seem to remember finding a gallery at pbase that was purely s3 images....
Sibling Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2006, 11:48 AM   #7

Yeah,

But any site would have photos taken by professionals. I really would like to see photos taken by an amateur enthusiast. So go ahead and send me some photos if you can.

Old Nov 8, 2006, 3:24 PM   #8

I like the shape of S3 the better. H5 got no place to hold at its left side.

Afew weeks ago, i went tomy localstore and they let me play withthe S3. i found out its left/right/up/down buttons are abit too small to press.

If youcan sacrificethe ultra zoom feature, maybe you can take a look at the G7: 10MP 6X optical.
caddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2006, 9:45 PM   #9

Dear Caddie,

Thanks for your advice. Which firm manufactures the G7?

Old Nov 9, 2006, 4:34 AM   #10

A good place tolook atthousand's of images from allthese camera's is pbase camera database, just click on camera at the home page and select the brand and then model.

http://www.pbase.com/cameras

After spending hours and hours here looking at images have decided on the Sony H2, also according to the test bydpreview Simon Johnstonbetween the H5 and H2 he favours the H2 for less PF and slightly better ISO performance over the H5.

Good luck whatever you select.

Wirraway is offline   Reply With Quote