Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 6, 2006, 1:21 AM   #1

I'm in need of a new camera. I'm looking for a compact (pocket-size) digicam that has at least five megapixels, and the capability to shoot rapid photo sequences. I'm not sure what the PC term for "rapid photo sequences" is, so I'll explain:

Is there a camera that shoots one-photo-after-another over and over again. (storing each photo as its own file) for say 50-100 images in a row? And can such an operation be started with a timer? Is there a camera that exists that can do this? And at varying time intervals? (ie one sequence with a fraction of a second between shots, and one sequence w/ ten minutes between shots). I've heard that the Cannon Rebel Xt has some of these capabilities? Anythin smaller that can fit in my pocket? Need to be able to bring skiing, climbing, hiking, partying, etc.

If so please let me know. THANKS.
theloraxdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 6, 2006, 10:00 AM   #2

Shooting over and over for that many images in a row is usually refered to as "continuous shooting".

You will also see the term "burst rate" refering to the quickest the camera can get off a burst of shots. The burst rate i normally limited by the internal memory (the buffer) used to store the image. Once the buffer fills it tends to slow down a bit as the camera has to wait for the images to write to the memory disk.

Most digital cameras will have these capabilities. Some will be quicker than others, or have larger buffers (more images per burst). The reviews will usually cover this. For example from Steves review of the Canon SD700IS:
Using the continuous (burst) mode, I was able to capture Large/SuperFine JPEG images at 1/2 second intervals with no full-buffer slowdown. When shooting in burst mode, the LCD only briefly displays the last image captured, making it difficult to follow moving subjects; this is where the SD700's optical viewfinder is valuable. Our tests were done using a Kingston Ultimate 120x 2GB SD card, Manual mode, Large SuperFine quality, preview off, flash off, and all other settings at default (unless otherwise noted.) Times may vary depending on lighting conditions, camera settings, media, etc.
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_reviews/sd700_pg5.html

Or the Sony T10:
The T10 has 2 modes of continuous image capture; Burst and Multi Burst. In Burst mode, I was able to capture 5 images in 3.4 seconds. During the capture sequence the viewfinder briefly displays the last captured image, to help you while following moving subjects. Multi Burst records 16 images at a user-specified interval of 1/30, 1/15, or 1/7.5 seconds and combines them into a single 1-megapixel image / collage. I found this would be most useful while recording an athletic movement, such as a golf swing or tennis stroke. For later evaluation; when reviewed in-camera, the images can be viewed frame-by-frame or as a continuous sequence. The above times were measured using a SanDisk ULTRA II 512MB Memory Stick PRO Duo memory card, using program mode, size/quality set at 7M/Fine, flash off, and all other settings at default (unless otherwise noted.) Times may vary depending on camera settings, lighting conditions, media, etc.
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_reviews/t10_pg5.html

Or the Casio Exilim-S600:
Using its continuous capture or burst mode allowed me to capture 5 images in about 5 seconds, a frame rate of 1fps or less; the LCD viewfinder briefly displayed the live image between exposures, helping you follow a moving subject. All tests were done using a Sandisk Extreme III 1GB SD card, Auto recording mode, 6M Fine size/quality, preview off, flash off, and all other settings at default (unless noted otherwise.) Times may vary depending on lighting conditions, camera settings, media, etc.
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_reviews/ex-s600_pg5.html

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2006, 12:48 PM   #3

Thank you that helps a lot. Are there any cameras that can shoot burst or multiburst without me having to push the button? Can I start a series of continuous shooting with a timer and then have the camera continue to shoot photo after photo without me behind it. Is there a term(s) for all of this?

I need to be able to capture actions that I'm doing if no one else is around. But still on still photography.

Thanks again,

theloraxdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2006, 1:47 AM   #4

Don't believe there is an automatic burst mode for P&S cameras without hitting the shutter button. You can get a compact camera that will fit nicely in a jacket pocket and is faster than the ultra-compacts. If you go this route and burst mode is very important than go for the Canon's. The Sony's are slower because of the memory sticks and most other manufacturers don't put in processors that are real good at burst mode, but it depends on how fast you want the shots to be taken.
KALEL33 is offline   Reply With Quote