Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 6, 2006, 1:21 PM   #1

I am new to the digital world of cameras. Currently started a business and need to make fliers and other advertising materials. I am looking for a camera that will be easy to use and will take awesome close up shots. I would like to take pictures of the finished product (example would be a new house or remodeled area). Then take photos of individual aspects of the project (for example the very detail of the flooring).

I also have children involved in many sports and would like to use the camera for these types of photos as well.

In my quest for information, I was given this website. I have been told I need to focus on the optical zoom and not the digital zoom.

Please...I would value any suggestions on what camera would work best for me.
123JJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 6, 2006, 2:22 PM   #2

123JJR wrote:
Quote:
I am new to the digital world of cameras. Currently started a business and need to make fliers and other advertising materials. I am looking for a camera that will be easy to use and will take awesome close up shots. I would like to take pictures of the finished product (example would be a new house or remodeled area). Then take photos of individual aspects of the project (for example the very detail of the flooring).

I also have children involved in many sports and would like to use the camera for these types of photos as well.

In my quest for information, I was given this website. I have been told I need to focus on the optical zoom and not the digital zoom.

Please...I would value any suggestions on what camera would work best for me.
some questions for you:

1. On your 'finished product' shots - are they external or internal shots (i.e. from outside the house or inside the house)?

2. What sports are your kids in. Depending on the answer, a Non-DSLR may be able to get you decent shots and it may not. Unfortunately sports shooting is one of the areas of photographythat is very demanding on equipment. So a lot depends on what sports you want to shoot and what your expectations are. This last point, expectations, is very important. Do you just want some snapshots where you can tell it's your kids or do you want shots like you see in the local newspaper's sports section?

The house shots may be very easy depending on what your expectations are. From a camera aspect, you'll want something wide angle. But you'll probably also want to invest in a tripod for the internal shots to ensure crisp shots. But the real problem could be lighting. A good bet would be to also get a tripod for the indoor shots - which will allow you to take better shots with lower light.

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2006, 10:23 PM   #3

Answers to your questions:

1. Photos would be taken of both inside the house and outside the house.

2. The kid photos would be for scrap-booking and grandparents only.

As for my expectations, I would like photos that I could manipulate. I would like to enlarge areas and crop areas to make fliers, brochures, and general advertisements. I would appreciate the end results to look professional.

Thank you again for your advice.
123JJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2006, 2:02 AM   #4

I think there are a lot of cameras which fit the bill. I personally like Fuji's S5200, S6000fd, and S9100. The S5200 is a superzoom with 10X optical zoom and 5 megapixel images. I like its short shutter lag. It's pretty cheap now, less than $250 online. The latter two cameras are just out. Both are superzooms, but they start at 28mm equivalent wide angles and zoom out to 300mm. Most superzooms start at 35mm or higher. They have manual zoom rings. Both have pretty good macro modes. Check here for the review of the S6000fd: http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/fu...ew/index.shtml

The S9100 is a 9 megapixel camera. It's a upgrade of last years S9000. This camera is supposed to be good in low light, though not so good as the S6000fd.

The strikes against them in many people's eyes are:

1. They have no image stabilization, so if you don't use a fast shutter speed at extended zooms, you can easily get blurred pictures.

2. They use xD cards which, though cheaper than before, are still more than SD and CF cards. Actually the S9100 can use CF cards, too.

Actually, a camera which Steve just reviewed might be a candidate for you - Canon Powershot A700: 6X optical zoom, image stabilized, not too big. Check it out.

If you tell us how much you want to spend and if you are taking pictures of your kids' games in daylight mostly or evening/low light conditions, people on this forum can give you more helpful advice.

Good luck!
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2006, 7:49 AM   #5

OK. For the work shots you need wide angle more than reach, so you want to consider cameras with a wider angle - especially for those interior shots. I'm not sure if there's a digicam with a wider lens than 28mm - which can still be a bit limiting, but the best you're likely to do. So, stay away from cameras that are 35mm-xx equivelent. They won't be wide enough for your interior shots.

For the sports - again, what sports? If they're outdoor sports during daylight you can definitely get some decent shots with the superzooms. But, if the games are in evening or at night under lights or indoors (basketball, volleyball, gymnastics) I'm afraid you're going to get pretty poor results from any non-DSLR.

So, let us know what sports you want to shoot and we can see if a digicam exists that will work for both the sports and have a 28mm wide lens.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote