Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 7, 2006, 10:01 AM   #11

Poal wrote:
Quote:

Hello all..

I feel uneasy with the Sony as it's new to the D SLR world and as yet seems more of a hybrid camera.

Just for clarification, even though Sony is new to the DSLR world, the Alpha 100 architecture is not new. The Alphabasically a redesigned KM 5Dwith more mega-pixels and variousother enhancements over its predecessor. Also, many of the engineers working on the Alpha line are prior KM employees. The only thingreally new is the marketing plan.

What exactly do you mean by it's "more of a hybrid camera"?
Lesbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2006, 10:09 AM   #12

BenjaminXYZ wrote:
Quote:
The Sony Alpha dSLR-A100 will certainly be a very good buy; if you are very interested. However, keep in mind that the mirror slap of the Sony Alpha A100 dSLR isconsiderably loud. (According to4 reviews)

Just a thing to take note of,above all ofit's other goodies. Otherwise, it is a very great camera.

You can hear it's shutter sound HERE.

How can that be the sound of the Sony shutter when it's tempo is much to fast to be thesoundof any mechanicalcamera shutter?

It soundsmore like the rhythmicstaccato beat of a gaited horse on steroids.

[align=center]
[/align]
Gozinta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2006, 10:14 AM   #13

HERE IT IS!!! :G

Scroll all the way down.

BenjaminXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2006, 10:14 AM   #14

Hi and thanks for the reply...

better than me trying to explain hybrid..have a look at:

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/SonyA100/index.shtml

During this conversion thread, Pentax have cropeed up several times. Any views on the K100D or the new K10D?

Your opinions would be appreciated..

Thanks

Poal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2006, 10:19 AM   #15

According to PENTAX, the ISO 1600 quality of the newPentaxK10D will be like the ISO 3200 quality of the PentaxK100D :idea:, and that sounds BAD in my opinion!!

Come on, even the ISO 1600 quality of the NIKON D70s is already better than the ISO 1600 quality of the PENTAX K100D. :idea:

Regards.

Old Nov 7, 2006, 10:26 AM   #16
Administrator

BenjaminXYZ wrote:
Quote:
According to PENTAX, the ISO 1600 quality of the newPentaxK10D will be like the ISO 3200 of the PentaxK100D, and that sounds BAD in my opinion!!
Really? Would you mind pointing me to where Pentax said that?

I must have missed it.

Sure, you're probably going to have close to a one stop difference between models using a 10MP APS-C size sensor versus the Sony 6MP APS-C size sensor, shooting in raw, and exposing the same way.

With JPEG, the results will vary between manufacturers, since some have better Noise Reduction algoirthms compared to others in the image processing pipeline.

It's a tradeoff. If you need the higher resolution for most of your shots, 10MP may be a better way to go. If you don't, and you plan on shooting at ISO 1600 more often, 6MP may be a better way to go (if the cameras are comparable in other areas for how you'd use one (ergonomics, control layout, speed of operation, etc.).

Also, with a 10MP image, the differences aren't going to be quite as apparent when viewing or printing at the same size (since downsizing will average out some of the noise).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2006, 10:35 AM   #17

HERE IT IS JIMC!!! :-)

Regards.
Old Nov 7, 2006, 10:42 AM   #18

In truth the vast majority of my shots are not going to reach ISO 400. And the main factor here is price.. I have priced the Pentax K100D at £463 while the K10D is on offer at £750. Both with 18 - 55mm lens

Now £300 extra is a lot! So if I pay the extra apart from the 4mp increase is it worth it for pictures that are very rarely, if ever, going to be printed above A4.

My main reason for asking for opinions, which I must say has been excellent, is I am only going to get one go at landing a decent camera. So all opinions are welcome... no matter what brand.

Thanks
Poal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2006, 10:47 AM   #19
Administrator

BenjaminXYZ wrote:
Quote:
HERE IT IS JIMC!!! :-)

Regards.
That's what I figured. You're quoting hearsay versus a direct quote from Pentax.

That's what a user probably got from a marketing rep at a stand, based on that rep's personal opinion, based on images produced by a camera that's not even shipping yet using preproduction firmware.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2006, 10:53 AM   #20

Anyway, if the O.P. is not going use ISO levels above ISO 400...Any dSLR cameras currently performs great up to ISO 400.

Code:
In truth the vast majority of my shots are not going to reach ISO 400.