Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 7, 2006, 9:58 AM   #21

BenjaminXYZ wrote:
Quote:
HERE IT IS JIMC!!! :-)

Regards.
No, he said the Pentax rep said the current pre-production firmware (v0.32) ISO 1600 is similar to ISO 3200 on the K100D. You can not use that to imply that will be true of the final prodution version.

Terry
thmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2006, 10:01 AM   #22

Code:
No, he said the Pentax rep said the current pre-production firmware (v0.32) ISO 1600 is similar to ISO 3200 on the K100D. You can not use that to imply that will be true of the final prodution version.

Terry
I am going to believethat the final version will be just a little bit better that's all. (It might be true or it might be false; it might even remain the same) In addition, we already have the Nikon D80, Nikon D200, and the Sony Alpha dSLR-A100 to look at...(The probability of successfor the Pentax K10D's high ISO performance remains slim in my book)
BenjaminXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2006, 10:12 AM   #23

Poal wrote:
Quote:
Hi and thanks for the reply...

better than me trying to explain hybrid..have a look at:

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/SonyA100/index.shtml

During this conversion thread, Pentax have cropeed up several times. Any views on the K100D or the new K10D?

Your opinions would be appreciated..

Thanks

There is no mention of the word Hybrid that I could find. There is actually a category of cameras referred to as hybrid and that is why I asked. Check out the link below and scroll down to the Hybrid category.
http://www.steves-digicams.com/best_cameras.html
Click below to see a Sony Hybrid camera
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_reviews/m2.html

The Alpha 100 is not a Hybrid unless by that you mean a cross between a KM and a Sony. You could think of it that way but it really isn't anymore of a hybrid than some upgrades that were bound too happen had KM lived long enough to issue a replacement for the 5D, which was supposedly in the works before their demise. An arguement could be made that it is a Sony/KM hybrid since Sony has changed the battery and they provided a way to use a Sony memory stick. The memory stick adaptor should actually work in any camera that is CF compatable. As far as any other enhancements, KM might have been working on some prior to the Sony takeover but we don't know which ones were KM and which were Sony.
Lesbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2006, 10:16 AM   #24
Administrator

KM and Sony were working on this camera together long before KM exited the camera business.

See the announcements from July 2005:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/digin....html#sony_slr
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2006, 10:34 AM   #25

I am actually curious to know the individual contributions of the two companies to the Sony Alpha dSLR-A100 camera.

LCD = SONY?

Body chassis = Minolta?

Pentaprism TTL viewfinder = Minolta?

CCD = SONY?

S.R. = Minolta?

CCD dust shake mechanism & anti-static coating (Indium Tin Oxide) = Minolta + SONY?

Hardware based advance D.R.O. (Dynamic Range Optimization) = SONY?

BIONZ image processor = CANON?

Ergonomics (Controls, dials, & buttons) = Minolta?

Flash design = Minolta?

Menu design = SONY?

Shutter = Minolta?

Eye start A.F (Auto-Focus) = Minolta?

Status panel design & graphics= Minolta + SONY?

Orientation sensor = Minolta?

Camera functions (Kelvin W.B., W.B. fine-tuneetc...) = Minolta?

Smart mirror lock up (vibration reduction) = Minolta?

Focus engine = Minolta?

C.F., Micro-drive, & Memory Stick compatible slot = Minolta + SONY?

18 - 70 mm kit lens = Minolta + SONY?

Body materials = Minolta + SONY?

Body design = Minolta + SONY?

Highlight & shadow based metering feature = SONY?

Old Nov 7, 2006, 11:46 AM   #26

BenjaminXYZ wrote:
Quote:
I am actually curious to know the individual contributions of the two companies to the Sony Alpha dSLR-A100 camera.
The way I see it... itdoesn't really matter and it's impossible to tell in most cases which new features Sony can take the credit for. We can all guess, but you might as well flip a coin for all that it really matters. Slighty increased lines of resolution on the Alpha LCD didn't take a genius to add and implementcompared towhat already existed in a 7Dand doesn't necessarily make it an innovation by Sony just because it is improved. It also depends on how you define a Sony idea or influence.Who came up with the idea? Was it aKM employee before the acquisition? If it was a KM employee after the acquisition, does Sony or KM get the credit? Who cares???? The Alpha is an evolution of past and present technology. It doesn't matter what parts are Sony and what is left over from KM. It is what it is... it is Alpha....no more and no less.
Lesbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2006, 11:59 AM   #27

I agree that it would obviously be hard or impossible for anyone in here to tell; we can all only guess. (Like whatI have done)
Old Nov 7, 2006, 12:04 PM   #28

Great minds think alike.

I was facing the exact same dilemma, but with the Olympus E-500 thrown into the mix.

Being the nerd I am, I put aside all talk of features and followed a link or two from Steve's evaluation page to one of his 'second opinions' on a similar site (or it could have been one of Steve's pages, I was so tired I don't remember) to see blow-ups of pictures from these cameras, side-by-side, under identical conditions.

The conclusions were that as a raw image from the camera, the XTi, D80, and A100 were practically indistinguishable from one another. And they were all GOOD! Therefore, the choice, as I see it, is what the camera system has to offer as a whole. For this reason, I have decided to go with the Canon XTi. My reasons:

* price.
* proven track record.
* availibility of lenses.
* real-world "I need this capability" functions.
* a few enhancements over a similar, previous successful model.

Nikon probably edges Canon in all but the first item; you get excellent quality but you're gonna pay for that; so if I had the money then this is where I'd go.

As I looked at those blow-ups, I thought of what kind of shooting I'd be doing and looked for things in those pictures that were important to me. And I let what I saw on that paper clip do the talking, drowning out all comments by marketing people.

On the merits of going with something as high as 10 MP...I currently own an Olympus C-3000 that I purchased about 6 or 7 years ago. At 3 MP, it was close to the top of the heap at a time when the average camera was 2 MP. Getting a camera with better performance than its contemporaries meant that it was a viable tool that I was able to get good use out of for a longer period of time. In other words, it will give you a system you can grow with.

Now having said all this -- and certainly leaving myself open to different viewpoints -- if somebody came up to me and offered any of these other cameras to me at a 'too good to pass up' price, I would not pass it up.

You can't pick a loser here. Good luck.
jbigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2006, 12:15 PM   #29

Code:
* price. 
* proven track record. 

Nikon probably edges Canon in all but the first item
Hold on, you said that the Nikon edge the Canon in all but the price???

I think that the availability of Canon's lenses are just as great if not better.

Proven track record? I thought Canon is the best?

The Canon have as much real world functions as the Nikon.

Code:
a few enhancements over a similar, previous successful model.
Doesn't the CanonEOS 400D looks like it too???

Old Nov 8, 2006, 1:03 AM   #30

BenjaminXYZ wrote: [quote]
Code:
* price. 
* proven track record. 

Nikon probably edges Canon in all but the first item
[quote]

Hold on, you said that the Nikon edge the Canon in all but the price???

(quoting jb) I said "probably." These two companies are neck-in-neck.

I think that the availability of Canon's lenses are just as great if not better.

(quoting jb) Checking eBay, I found that there were a handful more Nikons up there:

http://photography.attr-search.ebay....Z1QQsofocusZpf
http://photography.attr-search.ebay....Z1QQsofocusZpf

Proven track record? I thought Canon is the best?

(quoting jb) Again, neck-in-neck. Here are a couple of sample reviews, of a high-end and prosumer of each (as close as I could come):

http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/came...83/page_6.html
http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/came...62/page_6.html

http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/came...62/page_6.html
http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/came...16/page_6.html

(quoting jb) We're only talking a couple of cents of difference, but even a coin flip will have a winner and not a winner -- although it's still the same coin. Every camera is going to have its share of shortcomings, and it seems to me that the reviewer had to dig to find the weak spots of all of these cameras.

(quoting jb) I think of it in terms of Mercedes vs. Volvo: Both are excellent cars but Mercedes charges you more because they believe they can; and people pay that higher price in return for what they feel Mercedes has to offer that Volvo doesn't. In the mean time, if a person who can't afford anything more than a Volvo has an accident in their Volvo, they walk away from the wreck thinking it's the greatest car in the world. (And I could be opening up another can of worms here!:lol

The Canon have as much real world functions as the Nikon.

(quoting jb) Nikon was the professional gold standard in the 35mm world with their "Nikon F" years ago, so this was their starting point from here on out. Canon had some commonality between their professional A-1 line and their prosumer A-series, but you knew they were in two different worlds; Nikon followed them there as the market dictated. But having said that, I hasten to add that it's not like Canons are rebadged Kodaks, because they are still very good cameras. As I have already said, I worship the ground my 25-year-old A-1 walks on; and had my research not led me to the conclusion that the XTi's images are on par with Nikon's then I would have gone with the latter.

Code:
a few enhancements over a similar, previous successful model.
Quote:

Doesn't the CanonEOS 400D looks like it too???

(quoting jb) I'm not sure I understand this question; but yes, the XTi looks like the XT.

jbigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote