Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 7, 2006, 3:47 AM   #1

Hello all..

I am seeking some unbiased and impartial help!

I am going to upgrade from my Fuji 7000 into the D SLR world. My short list is the Canon 400D, Nikon D80 and the Sony Alpha A100.

I feel uneasy with the Sony as it's new to the D SLR world and as yet seems more of a hybrid camera.

So, Canon or Nikon? Is the Nikon D80 worth the extra cost, as the budget is tight? My local camera shop tried to steer me towards the Pentax K100 but I would prefer a 10mp camera, and I think the new Pentax K10D is going to be too expensive.

Also my local camera shop said that the lens with the Canon is very poor and of little use. Is this true? If so what is the lens like with the Nikon, I was looking at the 18 – 70mm at around £714 with the D80. The Canon 400D is around the £487 with the 18-55mm lens, so the difference is a lot!!!

Your views would be very much appreciated…

Poal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 7, 2006, 5:51 AM   #2

You should choose another lens for the CANON EOS 400D because it's kit lens isn'tthat good in optical quality. (When wide opened)

The Sigma AF 18-50mm f/2.8 EX DC, Sigma AF 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 DC macro, and the Tamron AF 17-50mm f/2.8 SP Di II XR will be great lens choices for the CANON EOS 400D.

Lets consider the STRONG POINTS of the 3 dSLR cameras that you have mentioned.

Kit price = U.S. $850

The STRONG POINTS of the SONY ALPHA dSLR-A100 is it's build in image stabilizer, build in dust reduction & removal, build in hardware based advance dynamic range optimizer, highlight and shadow based metering feature, 2.5" Clear photo LCD plus* (230,000 pixels) with Sony's trademark anti-reflective coating, bright and sharp pentaprism TTL viewfinder, eye start auto-focus, C.F. & Micro-drive (FAT 32)support,smart mirror lock up (vibration reduction) feature, orientation sensor, 2.8 fps continuous shooting,and excellent resolution (Not mega-pixels!!!)

Kit price = U.S. $1400 (However, itcomes with a better quality kit lens than the others)

The STRONG POINTS of the NIKON D80 is it's pentaprism TTL viewfinder, RGB histogram, B&W mode with selectable filters, 2.5" 230,000 pixels LCD screen, ISO selection steps at 1/3 E.V. increments, dual command dials, good battery life, 2.8 fps continuous shooting, orientation sensor, supports the smaller and lighter S.D. cards, have more custom features (Than the other 2),and good build quality.

Kit price = U.S. $870

The STRONG POINTS of the CANON EOS 400D (Digital Rebel XTi) is it's advance dust reduction & removal system, RGB histogram, 2.9 fps continuous shooting, brighter 2.5" 230,000 pixels TFT LCD than the EOS 30D's (Wide viewing angle), TTL viewfinder sensor to control LCD/viewfinder, C.F. & Micro-drive (FAT 32)support, time lapse recording, B&W mode with selectable filters, orientation sensor, Canon's trademark silky smooth images, using theEOS 30D's advance auto-focus engine, compact design, have better image perimeter settings (Among the 3), and very good high ISO performance.

EDITED.

BenjaminXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2006, 6:00 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply...

Now I am more swayed to the Canon 400D but with a better optical lens. However, the Sony still sounds a very good buy.

Thanks for giving me something to consider.
Old Nov 7, 2006, 6:23 AM   #4

The Sony Alpha dSLR-A100 will certainly be a very good buy; if you are very interested. However, keep in mind that the mirror slap of the Sony Alpha A100 dSLR isconsiderably loud. (According to4 reviews)

Just a thing to take note of,above all ofit's other goodies. Otherwise, it is a very great camera.

You can hear it's shutter sound HERE.
Attached Images

Old Nov 7, 2006, 6:51 AM   #5

Paolo,

First of all, people in your shop were right regarding Canon kit lens poor quality.

Also I must say that you're victim of marketing and „pixel wars". Can you tell me why do you need 10Mpix? There are very rare occations when 6Mpix are not enough. If you won't print huge prints and win't use top class prime lenses there will be no noticeable difference between 6 and 10 megapixels. Of course, 10 megapixel camera pictures will be larger (I mean file size) and more noisy. Don't be fooled by marketing.

Rumoured new Nikon D40 is supposed to have 6mpix sensor. Pentax K100D with it's 6Mpix provides excellent images and according to www.imaging-resource.com it provides excellent dynamic range (only Fuji S3 is better).

Also why do you think K10D will be expensive? It isn't. It's price is inbetween Nikon D80 and Canon 400D.

Edvinas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2006, 7:01 AM   #6

Thanks for the reply... I did play the shutter sound. It is louder than you would expect but I don't think it would put me off too much, as long as the other 'spec' is good, which it appears to be.

Thanks again
Old Nov 7, 2006, 7:08 AM   #7

You are spot on about the marketing. And to be honest my print maximum is a4. So 6 or 8 mp is well worth considering. My local shop did 'push' the Pentax K100 and wouldinclude a good prime lens for undef £500.

I have used pentax before, and was very pleased, the ME Super was a great camera. So going back to Pentax would be no problem.

Thanks for the reply, you have made me think of other options now...

Too much to choose from!!

Thanks
Old Nov 7, 2006, 7:19 AM   #8

If having more mega-pixels is not important to you, then the PENTAX K100D will be a very GREAT choice indeed. :-)(IMO!)

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_...100d_qtvr.html

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/K100D/K100DA.HTM

Old Nov 7, 2006, 7:48 AM   #9

Thanks for the links. The Pentax K10D is looking a very good buy now. My local shop was also saying that the K10D is getting some very good reviews too, so maybe that is an option after all. But is worth the extra cost????

Thanks again...
Old Nov 7, 2006, 8:39 AM   #10
Administrator

Edvinas wrote:
Quote:
Rumoured new Nikon D40 is supposed to have 6mpix sensor. Pentax K100D with it's 6Mpix provides excellent images and according to http://www.imaging-resource.com it provides excellent dynamic range (only Fuji S3 is better).
Let's qualify that a bit....

It's DR was better on that specific test, with the cameras it was compared to, and only when shooting in raw and converting with ACR (Adobe Camera Raw),

It's JPEG performance was lacking (lower than average dynamic range).

All of the cameras using a Sony 6MP APS-C size sensors should have roughly the same dynamic range shooting in raw and converting with ACR.

Dave hasn't tested all of them that way with Imatest (he's only tested Dynamic Range using JPEG for some of the other models using a Sony 6MP sensor). He doesn't show all models he's tested in each review, either. Out of the entry level models using a Sony 6MP CCD, the D50 has better DR shooting JPEG (but, he didn't test it shooting raw and converting with ACR). Note that the D50 results are for JPEG only.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PROD...00DIMATEST.HTM

Look at the older Konica Minolta 5D test results. Dave actually got slightly better Dynamic Range with it compared to the Pentax K100D when shooting in raw and converting with Adobe Camera Raw. But, chances are, that was just a slight variation in test conditions (and he used an older version of ACR).

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PROD...M5DIMATEST.HTM

Like the Pentax K100D, it didn't do as well for Dynamic Range shooting in JPEG. that's probably because of the contrasty default tone curve used by the camera's image processing algorithms.

I keep my camera's contrast dialed back from default settings when I'm shooting in JPEG to try and pull a bit more DR out of it during post processing. But, that results in a flatter image that some users may not like without some post processing. There is a reason that manufacturers sometimes use a contrasty tone curve by default. Many users like the "punch" that a contrasty image provides. But, DR can suffer. There are tradeoffs. ;-)

In real world use (versus test charts), you're going to have a lot of difference in the types of scenes you're shooting, and one model may do better with certain parts of a scene versus another.

Chances are, any of the models using this same sensor are going to have Dynamic Range that is very close, if you expose them exactly the same way, shooting in raw, and convert with the same raw converter.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote