Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 7, 2006, 2:13 PM   #1

I'm confused on what to get...if i get the rebel xt, i plan on getting the tamron di II (18-200) or tamron di I (28-300) lens, i need an opinion on these lenses also. Also, considering the s3is because of the convenience of not having to change the lens. I need this camera for taking quality pics of my 1 yr old son and for my husband's landscaping company (waterfalls,fish pondsand tropical landscaping). I want something that's fast so i do miss any of my son's actions. please help, want to purchase asap.
goddessily is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 7, 2006, 2:59 PM   #2

I have a feeling that you don't need those telephoto lenses. Landscape photohraphy usually requires wide angle. For your son photography get 50mm prime.

300mm are needed by bird and sports photographers.
Edvinas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2006, 4:59 PM   #3

thanks for the response....i kinda want the convenience of a good zoom, just incase i want to catch something that's far...but if not what brand of lens do u recommend?
Old Nov 7, 2006, 8:24 PM   #4

Can someone please help me soon...I really need to make a decision asap. thanks so much.
Old Nov 7, 2006, 9:29 PM   #5

I'd go with the xt. I had the XT and now have the XTi and love them both. I also have the Tamron 28-300 and like it. It produces very sharp pics from 28-200 and not so bad between 200 and 300. Here's a web site you can go to to see examples of pics taken with both of these lenses. http://www.pbase.com/cameras

By the way, changing lenses is no big deal. I was afraid of it too before I finally got a DSLR.
bmullen@comcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2006, 12:06 AM   #6

She's got one more choice now.

Thelatest modelCanon G7. 10MP 6X zoom.

very good compact size and lots of cool features for advance users. also great for just point-N-shoot.

good movie mode 1024x768 15fps or 640x480 30 fps

but it's not perfect either such as: no swivel LCD; no AE lock button; no battery power reading.... etc

i'm thinking of getting one for more good pix of my 6 months old daughter.
caddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2006, 12:15 AM   #7

goddessily, the kid will become more active as they grow up. If i bring a bulky dSLR or S3IS out with my family, i prolly won't enjoy playing with them that much.

Of course we can have a dSLR and vacation compact camera suppose they're both advanced ones

Old Nov 8, 2006, 12:52 AM   #8

thanks for the responses, but still confused...i want a good quality cam that will last....now i'm thinking about getting a smaller lens 18-55 (canon) (any comments suggestions?)....still indecisive about s3is or xt.
Old Nov 8, 2006, 1:12 AM   #9

If you really want a dSLR that will last you a long time, i'lltake a look atCanon XTi

or the new Pentax K10D which is smaller than its competitors.

XT was introduced in early 2005. It's almost a 2 years old model.
Old Nov 8, 2006, 1:21 AM   #10

thanks for all your help, i await ur next response....don't rule out the s3is just yet, would like to know what the advantage/disadvantage would be if i go that route.