Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 8, 2006, 10:02 AM   #1

The review of the 710 seems a little better overall than the FZ7 but both test out pretty well. I like the idea of the 12x zoom vs. the 6x zoom but the PQ of the Canon seems a bit better. Considering that 75% of my shots will be outdoor landscape and critters and 20% indoor family type shots, which camera offers the best bang. No prints over 8x10.
inazsully is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 9, 2006, 5:23 PM   #2

Nobody huh?
Old Nov 9, 2006, 7:36 PM   #3

inazsully,

Tough comparison...probably why you didn't get too many replies (sorry). Don't really see how you can compare these two...different size, weight, zoom range, resolution, macro range, flash strength, video resolution, viewfinder type, battery type, and price...I don't know what to tell you. It would seem that, since most of your efforts will be landscapes and indoor family shots, you really wouldn't need the big zoom. As a matter of fact, a wide angle might be more your speed. Now, if the critters you're shooting are going to be perched on top of a tree, or in the middle of a lake, the bigger zoom would seem appropriate. You need to determine what's more important to you, and select a couple of similar featured cams.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2006, 9:31 AM   #4

Thank you for the input. I guess the two cameras seem like a pretty natural comparison to me. Even though the zoom is 6x vs 12 x, they both have IS, they both have plenty of resolution for my max of 8x10 prints, they both have well respected lense quality. The price difference is less than $50. Size, weight and battery type presents no concern for me. I'm unclear how much weight to give the difference of flash strength and viewfinder type. Perhaps someone could help me out here. I will seldom use the video option but it is still a consideration. I do feel that the 12x zoom offers more flexability but I also wonder how often I will find 6x to be insufficient.
Old Nov 10, 2006, 3:35 PM   #5

You seem to be leaning toward a bigger zoom, and that's fine. I'm thinking about the 20% of your shots taken indoors (family type ), and some percentage (up to 75%) that will be taken outdoors of landscapes. So, for maybe half of your photographic endeavors, you will never use the top 75% of your big zoom. It's nice to know it's there if I need it...I know, but big zooms don't always take the best indoor pics and landscape shots.

Alright, here's a possible alternative...a 10.7x zoom, which has a 28mm (wide angle for indoor pics and landscapes) at one end, and a 300mm at the other end, for those critter shots...good video...great low light capabilities...Fuji F6000 (?)

Here's a link to a review:

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/fu...ew/index.shtml

It's a big camera, but you said that size and weight don't matter, it has a wider angle lens than the others, it has much higher ISO capabilities, higher resolution LCD, much stronger flash, and tested very well regarding redeye. It also has the largest sensor of the 3 cams.

Might be worth taking a look at.

the Hun

Old Nov 10, 2006, 5:12 PM   #6

I read the review you listed and the camera does indeed sound impressive. Two major drawbacks for me. No IS and a price tag $120 above the FZ7. To me these are very big drawbacks. After reading his review for the FZ7 it sounds like the perfect camera for my needs.
Old Nov 10, 2006, 5:53 PM   #7

Sounds like you've already made up your mind...maybe even before your original post. I'll just leave you with a few links...

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicfz7/page11.asp

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilmf30/page12.asp

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_...s/p1000048.jpg

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_...s/dscf0065.jpg

The S6000 utilizes the same sensor as the F30. Fuji believes that since high ISO capability permits the use of higher shutter speeds, then IS is not necessary.

Current prices at Buydig.com... FZ7 = $309.00 ... S6000 = 383.50 - $50 rebate = 333.50

Good luck with your new camera.

the Hun

Old Nov 11, 2006, 9:50 AM   #8

I hadn't actually made up my mind before hand but after several months of reviewing I was leaning towards the FZ7. Partially because of price $264 delivered. The biggest complaint surrounding the FZ7 seems to be about noise levels. Even though my main area of expertise is home entertainment equipment, I love taking pictures. I don't usually print them, just look at them and send a few to friends. I am seriously considering switching my first choice to the Sony H2 even though it is a bit more expensive. It seems that the Fuji is top dog in dimly lit situations but most of my shots will be outdoors and the IS feature is big to me. What are your thoughts on the H2 vs the FZ7?
Old Nov 11, 2006, 1:13 PM   #9

I got an FZ5 which is pretty much comparable to the FZ7.

I did low-light pics at ISO 80, using the EVF, with exposure being 1 sec. - handheld! Definitely NOT usable for sports, not even for shooting sloths but e.g. for (dead things in) museums.
shutterbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2006, 2:27 PM   #10

I've used the H2, and consider it an excellent cam. I have no experience with the FZ7, however.

the Hun