Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 8, 2006, 4:53 PM   #1

I've loved my Fujifilm S5300 for two years now and just had it stolen. i want to replace it with another camera. everyone acts like canon is great, this s3 IS is a canon, cheap and has a twelve time zoom, but does it actually outperform the s9000. the 9000 is 9 mp which i like and is simple and very well made but does the canon actually outperform the fujifilm?

anyone?

thanks in advance,
erik
little.erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 8, 2006, 6:54 PM   #2

Is there really a Fuji S5300? I have the S5200 and had the S5100 before it. I just got an S9100 yesterday. I have never had a Sony superzoom not a Canon superzoom. I had a Pentax *ist DS DLSR which I sold in hopes of buying the K100 or other DSLR in the near future.

The S9100 is a slightly upgraded version of the S9000. What I like about it are the following:

1.It uses easy to get AA batteries.

2. It has a very maximum wide angle of 28mm equivalant, great for group portraits or landscape shots.

3. It has a manual zoom ring.

4. Its top quality 9 megapixel images in good light are outstanding.

5. It has a fairly short shutter lag. Prefocused, (pushing the shutter half way down), it seems almost instantaneous.

6. I think its dynamic range is pretty good. Today I took some pictures of mixed buildings and bright sky. Neither was washed out or hidden in shadow.

7. You can take decent pictures at ISO 400 or 800 (and in extreme cases, 1600) with it.

8. The build quality is good though it seems mostly plastic.

9. It has a very powerful flash, which in the s9100, at least, seems to automatically adjust so as not to wash out primary subjects or leave in complete darkness the background.

I wish it had image stabilization like the Panasonic, Sony, and Canon superzooms. However, if I hold it right, I can still get good zoomed pictures without blurring.

I wish it had lowlight capability as good as the S6000fd or a DSLR, but that is asking too much for the price and the size of the sensor in a digicam.

The smaller superzooms are sometimes easier to get into sports venues because they don't look so professional. The S9100 and S9000 might not be allowed in because the leagues ban professional gear for average fans.

I don't regret my purchase of the S9100. It will be great for pictures of my large extended family when they get together for the holidays. If I wanted to use a camera just for daylight shots of the kids playing sports, I might get the Canon S3, instead, since it seems to have a slight superior continuous shooting mode.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2006, 7:20 PM   #3

well im more an arts photographer and i meant that i had a s5200 i just wasnt sure if it was 5300 or 5200 .. so you say that its low-light isnt great ay?? is it better or the same as the 5200's was cuase i thought that was impressive?

im not into sports photography and i am good at holding the camera well so i think i will be alright with that, but it is unfortunate there is no image stabilization. also would you be willing to sell any of your other fujifilm models. im 17 and buying the s9000 would empty out my bank account, so as cool as it looks, i dont want to buy it kind of.
Old Nov 8, 2006, 7:53 PM   #4

erik,

Take a look at the S6000...it's better in low light than either the S5200 or the S9000. It has the same lens as the S9000 (10.7x). It has a manual focus and zoom ring, and is cheaper than the S9000 (and has a $50 rebate right now).

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2006, 8:20 PM   #5

I agree with Rinnie the Hun. I, tooconsidered the S6000fd, but got a good deal on the S9100 and went for it. I think the S9100 is slightly better than the S5200 in low light, and the S6000fd is probably better still, since it has a newer generation sensor and fewer pixels on the same sized sensor.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2006, 9:04 PM   #6

I have been using an S1IS and I like it a lot, I'm sure the S3 is great.

Here is what I like most about the S9000. THE MANUAL FOCUS IS A RING ON THE LENS! Like a lens ought to be. I often am taking a picture of a plant that may not have a lot of surface, like a tall grass. Autofocus focuses on the background and the manual focus on the S1 is hard to use. I have taken to using a patterned card for the autofocus to focus on and then moving it out of the way and taking the picture. Of course this only works when the subject is within arms reach.

What I don't like about the S9000 is no image stabilization. This really works well in the Canon cameras. The S9000 is going to have to be on a tripod in lower light situations using the zoom. If they would add a good IS system to the S9000 I'd pay the higher price they are asking.

sedges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2006, 10:14 PM   #7

hey thanks for all you've written. i think i might want to go with the s6000fd its a lot cheaper and i realize it probably has enough megapixels for what i need. i could take okay 11X18's with my 4mp so 6 will deffinately be enough. its interesting to know that low light is better sense the sensor is the same size but sensoring for less pixels. thanks for that bit of knowledge robbo.