Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 13, 2006, 8:57 AM   #11

Quote:

Practise. enjoy. In time choose lenses you realise will help the type / style of photography you're into (or WANT to get into). Too many people spend more time analysing photography equipment than USING it!
Yeah, I can still enjoy, practice, and choose lenses EVENafter I have choosen the most suitable dSLR camera body. I can still use the dSLR body that I have carefully choosen; for great photography too. :idea:

Quote:

Don't over analyse or worry about differences, apart from maybe looking / feeling how the camera works for you (in your hand, with your eyes / glasses, etc). Ergonomics can be much more personal / subjective and important for one person than another.

All the more you are trying justifymy point; that we allneed to perform our research (To Tailor forour criteria(s)). :idea:

BenjaminXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2006, 9:22 AM   #12

Ben,

Research the original post, the criteria is there...

sacstella wrote:
Quote:
I want a digital SLR to use as way of a new hobby, (with professional potential.)
My subjects will mainly be people. I may want to use this camera at weddings/birthdays/concerts/family photos/headshots- when making a suggestion, please take this into consideration.

So rather than regurgitate specs and reviews, I felt it beneficial to give advice tailored to the OPs stated needs. I just don't find regurgitated data useful - in fact, it can be counter-productive. The point is to recognize what camera features are necessary for the work the OP wants to do: weddings/birthdays/concerts/family photos / headshots.

We all understand you like to regurgitate review data. For that to be useful, however, YOU need to sift through the data and provide the relevent info. The reality is: given the right LENSES and experience any of the DSLRs in question will meet the needs. But, it doesn't matter which camera body the OP gets. If they don't get the right lenses and accessories they're not going to get great results at weadings/ concerts / headshots.

That is a continued point you refuse to accept. Photography is so much more than the camera body. Sometimes specific camera features are important and sometimes they're not. Sometimes specific lenses are important and sometimes they're not.

In this case those lenses and accessories are more important than the body for some of the stated purposes.

Quote:
All the more you are trying justifymy point; that we allneed to perform our research (To Tailor forour criteria(s)). :idea:
Ben, again you miss the point - there is a difference between doing good analysis and doing too much analysis. You've spent months bouncing back and forth between every major brand and just about every model of camera out there. Compared to other people who made a purchase and are actually taking photographs with their camera and learning. Your other posts bear out that you still have a lot to learn about photography (and there's no shame in that whatsoever). Time is better spent learning and practicing PHOTOGRAPHY. Not learning and reading about the technology. Reading about sensors and such isn't going to help you as a photographer - it just isn't.

But, back to this thread - according to the OPs stated criteria, any of the cameras being considered is fine - just realize that skill and lenses will be the limiting factors for some of the goals.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2006, 9:32 AM   #13

JohnG,

I didn't see the criteria(s), so I am sorry about that.

I agree lenses play a VERY IMPORTANT ROLE in photography, than the camera body.

For my case, I would bring it one step further; and say that the image sensor + lens combination plays the most important role of all.

Larger photo-sites.

Large aperture lenses.

High ISO performance.

More signal; less noise.

Low sensor noise; low noise reduction.

However, keep in mind that I meant all this to apply to myself only, not tothe O.P.. (So pleasedon't jump on me!)

Old Nov 13, 2006, 10:47 AM   #14

And here you were Ben you had to ask what stops were abouta shortwhile ago, IMHO you have got a hide giving adviceto people asking what DSLR to buy, leave it to experianced people like John G, Jim C and others that have EXPERIENCE with these cameras, your still young and wet behind the ears and have plenty to learn, including manners. just my 2 cents.

Wirraway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2006, 11:11 AM   #15

Quote:

And here you were Ben you had to ask what stops were abouta shortwhile ago, IMHO you have got a hide giving adviceto people asking what DSLR to buy, leave it to experianced people like John G, Jim C and others that have EXPERIENCE with these cameras, your still young and wet behind the ears and have plenty to learn, including manners. just my 2 cents.

Since when did I asked about stops??? Since when I did not know about stops???

What doyoumean thatI got a hide??? :?Please, If you want yourselfto be respected and received,please make considerable effort(s) to improve yourEnglish writing communication standard(s)beforeYOU requestafavor from me!

I DO think that you need to IMPROVE your communication skills for the start.

Regards.

---

BTW, it seems that you have edited your message and still got it all wrong. (Don't try to tell me what to do whenYOU for the start, can't even get your message across properly!)

I am wet behind the ears??? Excuse me, what sort of English are you speaking? (I needto ask myChinese teacher to teach you speak proper English!)

If you need to tell me something,PLEASE express it in proper standard English! (If you want to get your message across, do it properly)

Quote:

Last edited on Mon Nov 13th, 2006 11:50 pm by Wirraway
Old Nov 13, 2006, 12:23 PM   #16

Can we get back to the original topic? Please take any any information or posts not relevent to the OP and start another thread. No need to further hijack this one.

sacstella,

Please let us know if you require any further information or assistance in your decision process.

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2006, 1:13 AM   #17

Thanks everyone- The information here is helpful. I will be able to narrow my search and come close to making a purchase in no time.

I am not too sure what happened with all the hootin' back and fourth. But I am able to read between the lines, (the important stuff). I've found this forum thing to be interesting. This was my first post EVER! Haha.

Thanks for the experience. :-)

What do I do now? Now that the thread has seemed to be restarted? Guess I'll look for you same helpfuls elsewhere. I've got plenty of questions brewing!!

CHEERS!

S--
sacstella is offline   Reply With Quote