Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 10, 2006, 12:37 PM   #11

maryccc wrote:
Quote:
so you think i don't need an SLR
Mary,

Buying the right camera is about buying the camera that has the features that will allow YOU to accomplih YOUR goals. Any DSLR can be a great tool, but unlike a digicam, you have to buy a DSLR in pieces. Those extra pieces cost money. A 'cheap' 70-300mm lens can cost $200+, a good one can cost $500. A single 85mm lens can cost $370. A high quality 70-200 2.8 lens can cost $1200. An external flash can cost $240-$400.

The point is, the $600 you pay for a DSLR is the tip of the iceburg - you can spend thousands of $$ more on lenses - easily.

That means you can easily end up with a backpack's worth of equipment - and some of that equipment is heavy.

And the ability to change lenses is only good if you want to carry those lenses around with you. Some people don't like to do that, so their expensive DSLR gets left behind.

So, you have to decide - you'll have to spend more than an additional $300 to get a DSLR with the focal range the Fuji gives you. You may end up spending an additional $600 or more and still have only low to mid-range quality lenses.

To me (and I'm a DSLR owner/user) the 'cool factor' is not worth it. The weight, bulk and cost will quickly override the 'cool factor'. The only reason, IMO, to buy a DSLR is if YOUR PHOTOGRAPHY NEEDS require the features a DSLR offers that a point-and-shoot do not.

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2006, 12:47 PM   #12

So what do you recommend please?

Maybe I might have 5-700 dollars for a camera. Which one should I get. Please tell me quick because I 'm about to go to the store and I'm afraid I'm going to buy something.

I take tons of pics of family. I would like to take pics of the moon and nature. I want closeups. If I get an SLR won't the lens that comes with it be enough? I am leaning towards a pentax or a minolta. Please help me decide.

How about this one

Samsung 8.0-Megapixel Digital Camera

Model: Pro 815

wS('1','15')

maryccc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2006, 12:59 PM   #13

maryccc wrote:
Quote:

I would like to take pics of the moon and nature. I want closeups. If I get an SLR won't the lens that comes with it be enough? I am leaning towards a pentax or a minolta. Please help me decide.
Mary,

Every post you add requirements. Started off as just family and outdoors. Then you added the moon. Now, nature and 'close ups'.

What do you mean by 'nature'. Nature could mean wide angle landscape shots or it could mean pictures of birds, deer, bear, etc.

What do you mean by 'close ups'. Be specific. Close ups of what? This is important because it determines wheather you need macro capability (macro meaning you can get really close to your subject -within inches and the subject will have a 1:1 ratio between reality and image).

So, elaborate on 'nature' and 'close ups'.

Almost any camera will take the 'family' pictures. Any DSLR and kit lens or any of the modern digicams can handle the general family gathering pictures. But be careful, I say 'general family gathering' pictures). If your intent is to shoot son/daughter in plays or in sports that's COMPLETELY different.

also, I will add that taking pictures of the moon is going to require a tripod if you want to get serious about it. Same could possibly be said for 'nature' shots. This is regardless of what camera you buy.

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2006, 1:09 PM   #14

What I mean by nature is a bee flying around or a flower in my yard. I want closeups of my familys faces.

I constantly change my mind. That's just me.

I want a camera that doesn't take 3 tries pushing the button to work. I want good quality pictures.

Old Nov 10, 2006, 2:09 PM   #15

I think the s5200 you started with sounds like a good place to start. For under $250 online, you get a versatile camera that will cover most of your needs. 90% of the time you won't be able to tell a picture wasn't taken with a DSLR.

For $300-350, any of the Canon S3IS or Sony H2 or H5 models are a bit better than the older Fuji, and good choices which serve a similar purpose.These are some of the most popular models out there.

If you start looking at $500+ superzooms, you may be better off with a DSLR, but that's still a matter of preference. Many of these DSLR-like models used to be called "bridge" cameras. Meaning they were a bridge between consumer digicams and DSLR.

To do the same things in a DSLR isn't that much more expensive anymore, however. But it still is a bit more complicated. To cover the same range you would need more than one lens, and have to change lenses. A typical kit lens doesn't get you near as much zoom. Removable lenses means it is easy for dust to get into the camera and get on the sensor. So unless you get a self cleaning model, you might have to clean the sensor periodically.

So if you are looking at something like the Samsung Pro 815, for example, which runs $575-600, it might be worth considering what you can get in a DSLR in near the same range. There are a number of DSLRs which will cover a similar range for under $700 total (Nikon D50, Pentax K100D/K110D, Olympus E-500). You can do this either by looking at 2 lens kits, or by getting a single lens kit and adding a third party zoom lens.

But if you're just starting out with this, it might be simpler to start with the less expensive camera. If you want to shoot things like moonshots, you will also want a tripod either way. And most of what you learn on the $300 camera will also apply if you do decide to move up to a DSLR in the future. And prices will likely keep falling on the more expensive equipment as well, as you learn and figure out what you really need.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2006, 11:36 AM   #16

I've narrowed my choice down to the Panasonic FZ7 and the Sony H2. The FZ7 is $264 delivered and the Sony is about $50 more. Both have 12x zooms and IS.
inazsully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2006, 4:03 PM   #17

I had the s5200, but sold it and purchase a Pentax *ist DL. The fuji took nice snapshots and allowed some creativity. It had too many limitations and was a bit slow for my needs. I wanted full creative control. It was nice to have the video capability as well.
jabilson007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2006, 12:08 AM   #18

I second the recommendation of the s5200 as a way to start. It takes good pictures in good light and ok pictures in less than bright light. Once you figure it (or one of its superzoom rivals for less than $350) out, you may want to invest in a entry level DSLR. I had a Pentax *ist DS with a Sigma 28-300mm telephoto lens for about $160 that was ok. Now you can get the Pentax K100 with kit lens for less than $600 and it has image stabilization. However, I would still recommend learning how to use a superzoom prior to getting a DSLR.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2006, 3:56 PM   #19

Mary, you have two threads going on what camera to buy. Which are you leaning towards?
KALEL33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2006, 4:49 PM   #20

I was leaning towards the kodak 880. But someone said it wasn't good for in the house pictures. I don't know what to get now