Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 10, 2006, 4:56 PM   #1

A friend said the d50 or rebel digital, iam leaning tworard the d50 just because it looks good and the specs are just a bit better the rebel. what do you recomend and where is the best place to get it, cheap and reliable site. OH and what lens should i get, i dont need anything that special, just ordenary everyday photos close and far, all purpose lens. can anyone help who knows more than he or she can make him self sound. maybeMr. Steve Digicam cna help me.
miniman101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 11, 2006, 2:21 AM   #2

Which "Rebel" modelare you talking about?

Do you meant to saythe crippled 300D Rebelmodel? If it is so, then I don't think it will be a match for the Nikon D50, save it's Canon like superior image quality. (Silky smooth)

BenjaminXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2006, 2:22 AM   #3

N.T. (INTERNET connection problem)

Old Nov 11, 2006, 2:22 AM   #4

N.T.

Old Nov 11, 2006, 4:58 AM   #5

http://steves-digicams.pgpartner.com...d=8233716/fd=1

You should probably get the kit lens. Butterfly photo has a pretty good reputation (but they overcharge for some of the accesories so just get the camera there).

And for a telephoto lens, head over to Sigma4less for the Sigma 70-300 APO for about $189.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2006, 2:28 PM   #6

iam talking about the rebel xt digital or somthing like that but i think i'll get a D50 and a cheaper dx lens iam not surious enough to spend $180 on a lens. but thanks for the info.
Old Nov 11, 2006, 5:21 PM   #7

miniman101 wrote:
Quote:
iam not surious enough to spend $180 on a lens.
Please don't take offense, but if $180 gives you sticker shock, why are you buying a DSLR? That's fairly inexpensive by lens standpoints. If you just want a single, inexpensive lens - perhaps a superzoom would be a better fit for you. So, why is it that you want a DSLR over a digicam?
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2006, 6:42 PM   #8

There is a version of that lens for around $135; but it's really normally worth spending the extra for the APO version. The cheaper one will have some problems with chromatic aberations and flare.

If you are on a tight budget, you might especially think twice about a Canon or Nikon DSLR. They both make good lenses, but you have to pay for them.

Something like a Canon S3IS or Sony H2 will do most of what a DSLR can do for less than half as much money. But if you really want to go the DSLR route, on a tight budget, take a look at the Pentax K110D. It's $472 with the kit lens, plus there's a $50 rebate. And you might be able to find a used Pentax telephoto that will suit your needs on ebay for around $100.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2006, 9:52 PM   #9

Well, I'll weigh in with Pentax. Youcan get a K110D body or *istDL body for well under $500. The good thing about Pentax is that you can use any Pentax lens made since 1976, meaning you can find good lens for very cheap. These are manual focus, usually and sometimes manual aperture control. However, if you want to save money on lenses this is a good way.

However, I'll agree with the others here and recommend you get a superzoom.

Russ
rfortson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2006, 9:56 PM   #10

thanks fer everything guys but i do love D50 and i'll just a lens and over a little time get another one. oh and any of you guys ever been to the site http://opentosuggestion.zikforum.com/index.forumits great, but you have to become a member. thanks

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000" Josh