Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 11, 2006, 3:24 PM   #1

Hi there!

I'm looking for a compact camera that fits the following conditions:

1)MUST have full manual controls (aperture, exposure, focus...)

2)MUST have VERY GOOD macro capabilities.

3)Image Stabilization would be desirable.

4) A variable angle LCD screen would be VERY desirable.

5) I'm not looking for an ultra-compact cam, but it MUST be small enough to carry it with me all the time without being a problem.

6) The possibility to adapt additional lenses (macro, tele, wide angle...) and filters would be greatly appreciated.

7) I use to do lots of macro photography, so I needasmuch megapixels as possible!

I'm somewhat Canon oriented, so I've been looking at the Canon Powershot A640. It has all my requirements but the IS stuff... But I'm not a Canon taliban so I'm open to consider other models even from other brands.

Any sugestions??

Thanx in advance,

Toni
ToniVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 11, 2006, 3:35 PM   #2

IMHO the Canon Powershot A710IS would fit your bill quite nicely. The lens is sharp and noise is quite low compared to most of the other cams (except the notorious Fujis).

Reviews:
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_reviews/a710.html
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/A710/A710A.HTM
http://www.photographyblog.com/index...710_is_review/
http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/ca...ew/index.shtml

But: You can't have everything, so a few compromises should be made. I don't care much for those stylish ultra-compacts, though.
shutterbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2006, 3:51 PM   #3

Thanx a lot shutterbuggy for your fast answer.

Yes, I've been considering the A710IS too. Compared to the A640 it has IS, but it loses the variable angle LCD, and is 7.1Mp while the A640 is 10Mp.

I could live without the 10Mp, but I'm not sure I could survive without the variable angle LCD... I own a Powershot G3 for some years now, and the wonderful movable LCD is one of the most wonderful things I can imagine on a camera. I'm one of those people who loves taking photos from the most unveliebable angles...

As for the IS, I never used a camera with it, so I don't really know if I really need it. It sounds promising... but is really something that when you have it you can't live without??

Yours,

Toni
Old Nov 11, 2006, 4:02 PM   #4

Feel free to look here (scroll down) for an example where IS might come in handy (at ISO 80, exposure 1 sec., handheld):
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...92&forum_id=87

However, ISO 200 on the Canon looks much better than on my FZ5, so you can get away with moving objects and lower exposure in lower light...
shutterbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2006, 4:21 PM   #5

I see... Well, I only take an small amount of my photos in low light conditions... So I think I can sacrifice IS (I always can put the camera over something that doesn't move).
Old Nov 11, 2006, 5:03 PM   #6

Not many have the rotating LCD. The Canon S3IS is one with both the LCD and IS, but may be bigger than you want.

Otherwise it sounds like the A640 is your best bet.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2006, 5:20 PM   #7

Yes, the S3IS has everything... but it's definitely bigger than I want. As for the rotating LCD, is Canon the only one that has it?

Well, as you said, the A640 seems to be my best option, but the lack of IS is still making me look for other possibilities. But I won't be looking forever, so if I can't find a better option I'll go for the A640.

BTW, I think A710ISis considerably bigger than A640...
Old Nov 11, 2006, 6:58 PM   #8

A710 IS is actually a bit smaller. They're the same height. A640 is longer and thicker. Main reason for the difference is A710 only takes 2 AA batteries.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2006, 2:06 AM   #9

OK, I'll check both A640 and A710IS.